• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kzon cuts continue.Is it mainly kzon cutting back or the whole phoenix cluster

It seems whenever i read job cuts at cbs phoenix it is mainly jamz yes kool has also cut but it just seems jamz is cutting one person after another is the writing on the wall guys and gals???

Two more people exit it just doesn't seem to end for jamz

No no kool lauren i am not celebrating that at all i am just wondering is it mainly kzon or the entire phoenix cluster???But if one chooses to work in radio one has to realize it is not the most secure industry to work in today.But i wish everyone well that has gotten let go and does anyone know what kid and ruben have been doing???

Yes i hate jamz but i do not wish for the demise of everyone there.

Just a thought, based on all your previous posts. You equated the loss of someone as causing "writing on the wall" for them, which overall leads to your wish of the station to be "blown up". I'm just making sure you know that a lot of the people would be gone along with the station itself...

To answer the question, it's the entire Phoenix cluster, not really one station more in particular than the other. But as you said it, it's the industry itself; the biggies CBS Radio and Clear Channel especially.

Lauren,

Clear Channel, Sandusky, Bonneville and the others haven't made nearly the amount or number of firings CBS/Phoenix has.

While KOOL and KMLE perform well, the fact KZON does so poorly makes them keep cutting into the bone. The entire station was a mistake and failure from day one, it's sad the talented people at KOOL and KMLE have to pay for it.

I haven't been counting the posts but I think, in my own unscientific way, that KOOL has gotten more publicity regarding staff cuts than any other Phoenix station. The threads surrounding K-OZONE were more directed at their programming rather than people.

But I'm old and may be totally.....er.....ah......<nevermind>.........

Inside Radio Insider,

I agree with you partially. I only wanted to be clear to mention CBS Radio and Clear Channel. Fortunately, Clear Channel firings aren't really happening in Phoenix like they are in other markets.

Re: Kzon cuts continue.Is it mainly kzon cutting back or the whole phoenix clust

In regards to the firings Lauren has mentioned (correct me if I'm wrong) but from what I've heard, KMLE still has what "FIVE" people on their morning show while KOOL has had 3 people chopped plus KZON had their morning show completely nuked. I'm out of the loop, can someone explain this logic? Is Dave's crew 'protected' or something ???

landtuna said:
I haven't been counting the posts but I think, in my own unscientific way, that KOOL has gotten more publicity regarding staff cuts than any other Phoenix station.

Here on this board certainly. I think there are a number of posters who think KOOL is a very special station (Brown Eyed Girl and [currently] Wonderful Christmastime notwithstanding ;D) and don't want to see it go away or otherwise be dismantled or trashed. Count me as one of them. Unfortunately, their top-notch roster of DJs is being dismantled, with weeknight syndication (you know who ::)), all or some of certain dayparts now VTed, and several rounds of layoffs, along with their entry into the "how long can we make them listen to Christmas music sweepstakes" (grand prize: ArbyTron numbers, booby prize: KESZ takes them). I'm not counting Gardner vs. Peake in this, as both did/do a bang-up morning show. (And Maria's voice is almost as sexy as Angela Allen's. :))

A1 steak sauce said:
...but from what I've heard, KMLE still has what "FIVE" people on their morning show while KOOL has had 3 people chopped plus KZON had their morning show completely nuked. I'm out of the loop, can someone explain this logic? Is Dave's crew 'protected' or something ???

Could Pratt have something written into his contract which specifies a certain number of support staff on-air with him?

Inside Radio Insider said:
Clear Channel, Sandusky, Bonneville and the others haven't made nearly the amount or number of firings CBS/Phoenix has.

Clear Channel has fired more people than ever worked at CBS. Gumpdusky hasn't had to fire many people because they've been cheap and understaffed since day one.

Bonneville seems to be the only radio company left that understands you need people to run your stations, but TMISU are odd by any account.

As far as Pratt is concerned, I think the reason he gets to keep his staff is because he brings enough $$$ to the table that he can do whatever he wants.

Ford said:
Bonneville seems to be the only radio company left that understands you need people to run your stations, but TMISU are odd by any account.

They did let go of a couple integral parts of The Peak with no replacements found as of yet. And Joel might have been the best programmer the "Adult Hits" format had anywhere in the U.S.

There are great people still working at 98.7, but they need to find someone who can guide the ship back to where it belongs. They seem kind of lost between playing "whatever they want" and trying to compete with Mix...

Re: Kzon cuts continue.Is it mainly kzon cutting back or the whole phoenix clust

Well for a station that others say is doing so well in the ratings, they sure aren't keeping many positions at the station, on air or off. I just wonder if these changes will pay off for them or if are just buying time for a format flip

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom