• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KZOK HD2 Classic rock deep cuts

Songs played on KZOK HD2 deep cuts

What's your name- Lynyrd Skynyrd
Roxanne- The Police
Good times, Bad times- Led Zepplin
Sara- Fleetwood mac
Jessica- Allman Brothers
One Love- U2
Black magic woman- Santana
Black Water- Doobie brothers
Dominoe- Van Morrison
Young American- David Bowie
Sledgehammer- Peter Gabriel
Get Back- Beatles

Boy those are some deep deep cuts. HD radio in Seattle is a joke. KJR FM1 Oldies. KJR FM2 the same oldies. simulcasts of AM signals. There is so much room here for variety and imagination. But NOOOOOOO.
Was I a fool to buy a HD radio living in this market.
Guess I'll just listen to deep cuts over the internet. WMGK HD2 in Philadelphia plays actual deep cuts. Why is it so much better in other cities?

What you just described is probably the single most reason I have not spent the cash on a nice HD Radio to this point.

If there is no real variety what is the point, why rehash the same playlist in a different format???

Of course it is the men wearing the suits making those choices and they are not going to stick their neck on the line to try anything bold or different.

I listen to KZOK HD2 frequently, they go through phases of actual deep cuts. I noticed a few weeks ago they started getting very non deep again.

It seems like they go deep for a few months, then they sound like KZOK without commercials for a month or two, then they get deep again.

Who knows what anyone is thinking there, if there is actually anyone thinking that is.

KMTT HD2, now there is a reason to buy an HD Radio!!

Hey Jake,
Gotta' agree with you. Those tunes don't sound too deep to me, but, did you try emailing the P.D. over at KZOK regarding your deep cuts concern. I believe his name is Carey Curelop. Unless just sarcastically gripping about it on this disscussion board was the only satisfaction you were looking for, you may never get an answer. Squeaky wheel gets the grease don't ya' know?

"you can lead a radio-info.com member to the cool clear musical waters for a small price, but you cant make em drink. yet, there they drink for free from the sewage/industrial waste infested FM music cess pool daily"

XM 40 DEEP TRACKS plays all those classic rock artists listed above, by jake mott. they mostly go deep on hand picked sets, just like album rock radio was in the 70's. in fact, i had "railroad song" cranked loud last night by skynyrd! they also play some current stuff ie: the new tom petty, which is the best tom petty release in all his career! at DEEP TRACKS XM 40/SR16, they have also assembled a veteran on air talented staff,including dan neer, earle baily, and meg griffin,who are the best in the business period. in fact, you actually look forward to the 5-6 song music set break, just to hear these people talk for a few minutes about the music. another thing i like besides the rock stuff, the're not afraid to go 70's singer songwriter deep with cat stevens, carol king, stephen stills, judy collins, james taylor, eric clapton, joni mitchell......

your cool clear water is available at XM40/SR16 DEEP TRACKS. you can pick up a reciever over the internet for a dozen or so bucks. your monthly fee is a scant 12 bucks a month, and less if you pay in months advance, like scott. about what you spend daily at McD, and SBUX. go ahead try it....you know the industrial waste FM corporate fat cat cess pool fillers aint gonna listen to ya. your good classic rock music is controlled by corporate gate keepers in another city who think you and the public cant handle it, even on HD. sorry to hear you wasted your money on HD radio buddy.

Hotmic said:
... but, did you try emailing the P.D. over at KZOK regarding your deep cuts concern. I believe his name is Carey Curelop.

They might appreciate the feedback...but I believe most HD channels are taken from national ownership feeds; so local PD's not really in control. Idea is that XXX Corp. has an "80's channel" that is intended to flank a station like Jack ... they have a Classic rock channel intended to flank their classic rockers, etc. In other words...they really DO miss the whole point of a second deep channel (though I have seen an exception in Country where many country stations pick up classic country as their HD2 ... which provides the alternative, yet familiar content.

The "corporate gatekeepers" don't give a rip about the format or content of an HD channel at this point...

They just don't want to spend a single dime on programming or marketing it.

If someone locally happens to do something interesting for cheap or free, then great!!

Oh here we go again, evil corporate ba$tards don't care about listeners... blah blah..

First of all, yes they do care about listeners. Second, no the corporate office doesn't dictate what music is played on HD extra channels, at least not that I've heard of. And finally, I think the suggestion to send an E-mail to the Program or Music Director of the station in question is an excellent idea. In my opinion, the effort would be far better spent giving the station reasonable, intellegent feedback than complaining here about it. That is if you really want something done about it verses rallying the anti-group owner parrot club.

uh huh, good point guru, after your done with that you can write president barama, and ask him about his unreleased legitimate birth certificate, his unreleased/hidden school records, his use of a phony SS #, and the exact hospital he was born at in hawaii. (worldnetdaily.com)

at any rate, on the subject of HD radio:
1) how does this affect the ppm ratings system, if a participant is listening to HD? does it register?
2) since HD is commercial free, what if stations started losing listeners in favor of its HD model, i suppose in the event everyone had easy access to it. wouldnt it start to kill the goose that laid the golden HD egg?

scott salvatori said:
uh huh, good point guru, after your done with that you can write president barama, and ask him about his unreleased legitimate birth certificate, his unreleased/hidden school records, his use of a phony SS #, and the exact hospital he was born at in hawaii. (worldnetdaily.com)

at any rate, on the subject of HD radio:
1) how does this affect the ppm ratings system, if a participant is listening to HD? does it register?
2) since HD is commercial free, what if stations started losing listeners in favor of its HD model, i suppose in the event everyone had easy access to it. wouldnt it start to kill the goose that laid the golden HD egg?

Careful Scott, once again comments like that really bring out your true color. And my guess that color would be white.

Regarding your questions about HD radio streams:

1. Yes most if not all HD radio streams are encoded, so they would and do in some markets appear in surveys, albeit a small amount to date.

2. Introducing listeners to HD radio channels by making them non-commercial for a time is a time tested strategy. Back in the 60's some stations who had FM licenses along with AM did the same, because FM radios weren't readily available, nor were a known quantity by listeners. Of course just as with HD radio, advertisers weren't all that interested in advertising on FM because of the few listeners anyway. We know today how that worked out.

In the end from a business standpoint, if HD radio became more readily available to consumers, serving multiple sought after demographics on your three HD channels would be like owning up to three additional FM stations within a market with only one license.

TVradioguru said:
In the end from a business standpoint, if HD radio became more readily available to consumers, serving multiple sought after demographics on your three HD channels would be like owning up to three additional FM stations within a market with only one license.

Uh - Guru, HD Radio already IS readily available to consumers. Been to a Best Buy lately?

I'm not going to get into why HD Radio is the answer to a question no one asked - but it's a fact that the majority of listeners really don't care about those "three HD channels" that a station offers.

With all due respect SRP, minus the hair-splitting I think you'd agree that until HD radio is available in the average car radio, it isn't readily available to an average consumer. In fact, I've heard of instances where consumers interested in HD radio have walked into electronics retailers, including Best Buy, asking for HD radio and being shown the satellite radio display.

99% of most consumers don't actively seek out purchase of a new radio as they did when radio was the only game in town. I read somewhere that Toyota and Lexus announced recently they will begin putting HD radio in the high-end car radios with navigation. If the big Japanese automakers start making HD radio available in new cars, then just as happened with FM back in the 60's, perhaps listeners will begin to pay attention. Those listening to HD now are mainly radio hobbyists who make it a point of pursuing purchase of a radio or those who stumbled upon it with their new BMW, as I did. My new 740i has HD radio which seems to work quite well.

Guru Kelly, it's a chicken and egg situation. There was supposed to be a period (I think three years) that it would be non comm then they could start running spots, this was an agreement among the providers. That period has long since passed so you are asking station owners to 'just' provide a product for free which is a pretty unreasonable request to make even in good economic times. Unless it becomes more widely available or starts getting enough numbers to make it attractive to advertisers I think it's on the bubble.

The name isn't Kelly but nice, (no actually rather lame) veiled attempt to call me out.

The fact remains that until potential listeners have easy access through HD radios in cars, or radio stations manage to find the magic bullet programming that will cause interested listeners to actively seek out HD radios, it will be a very slow gaining of traction, well beyond the three years you claim.

Unlike owning another license and station, from what I understand it really doesn't cost a station anything to keep an HD signal on the air. Acceptance of FM listening grew over several years, not three, with many of those years being rather lean ones when it came to advertising.

Hotmic said:
Hey Jake,
Gotta' agree with you. Those tunes don't sound too deep to me, but, did you try emailing the P.D. over at KZOK regarding your deep cuts concern. I believe his name is Carey Curelop. Unless just sarcastically gripping about it on this disscussion board was the only satisfaction you were looking for, you may never get an answer. Squeaky wheel gets the grease don't ya' know?
I've sent e-mails. No response

TVradioguru said:
Oh here we go again, evil corporate ba$tards don't care about listeners... blah blah..

First of all, yes they do care about listeners. Second, no the corporate office doesn't dictate what music is played on HD extra channels, at least not that I've heard of. And finally, I think the suggestion to send an E-mail to the Program or Music Director of the station in question is an excellent idea. In my opinion, the effort would be far better spent giving the station reasonable, intellegent feedback than complaining here about it. That is if you really want something done about it verses rallying the anti-group owner parrot club.
Sent E-mails. No response.

TVradioguru said:
With all due respect SRP, minus the hair-splitting I think you'd agree that until HD radio is available in the average car radio, it isn't readily available to an average consumer. In fact, I've heard of instances where consumers interested in HD radio have walked into electronics retailers, including Best Buy, asking for HD radio and being shown the satellite radio display.

99% of most consumers don't actively seek out purchase of a new radio as they did when radio was the only game in town. I read somewhere that Toyota and Lexus announced recently they will begin putting HD radio in the high-end car radios with navigation. If the big Japanese automakers start making HD radio available in new cars, then just as happened with FM back in the 60's, perhaps listeners will begin to pay attention. Those listening to HD now are mainly radio hobbyists who make it a point of pursuing purchase of a radio or those who stumbled upon it with their new BMW, as I did. My new 740i has HD radio which seems to work quite well.

Guru Speaks the truth. Also VW announced they will start selling HD radios. But as Guru points out it's going to be consumer demand that drives the market. Car manufacturers could care less about what goes in the dash. They'll respond to consumer demand. FM won ove Am because of fresh programming ideas. Alternative rock and album cuts sent consumers looking for a way to hear FM in the car. That's what HD has to do to win and I'm not not hearing it yet. Now get ready for mobile dashboard web radios...the plot thisnkens. Can radio beat Pandora? Only if it gets serious about live and local. Still not hearing much of that either!

TVradioguru said:

Sorry Guru, but that dog ain't gonna hunt. Back in the '50s and '60s, an "average car radio" didn't receive FM. So people sought out and installed converters to receive FM in their cars. Why? Because FM delivered programming they wanted to hear.

These days it's a LOT easier to get HD in your car if you really wanted it (assuming you have an "aux in" jack - most "average car radios" these days do). But with the schlock that's airing on many sidechannels, why bother?

Thanks for the info on VW adding HD. It sure did a lot for satellite radio when auto manufacturers like VW added it because on many new vehicles the radio is very integrated into the steering wheel, nav and other controls making it somewhat difficult to do a retro and still keep all that stuff.

Also, even though radio groups have done a good of promoting it I wonder if the average non-industry person even knows what it is.

hd radio is pointless, redundant, and retarted

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom