• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KYW Newsradio now airing full CBS Evening News broadcast and 10 PM CW Philly newscast

Me too. I still think that CBS might cut costs and merge the 2 formats on 1060 and 1210 and making KYW perhaps a news/talker, either staying on 1060 or move to 1210 AM. It would save CBS a lot of money consolidating the 2 formats into one station, instead of running them separately on 1060 and 1210 AM, as they have for the past 19 years.
It's not as if they're not making a profit under the current scenario. 1210 is hardly More FM, but it's bringing in cash.

Here's the KYW webpage that tells us the programming schedule. The simulcast of the CW News at 10pm and the full airing of the CBS Evening TV News isn't mentioned here. Maybe no one has updated the webpage.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/kyw-1060-broadcast-schedule/

By the way, this same webpage still says that Bill Schieffer commentaries air on Sundays at 12:40, 2:40 and 4:40 pm. Didn't Schieffer retire more than a month ago? Unless he still does these commentaries? Or again, nobody is updating this webpage.

David Eduardo tells us KYW and WBEB are virtually tied as the two highest revenue stations in Philadelphia. I know CBS corporate has ordered these cuts around the company, even at highly profitable operations. But to air a TV newscast with plenty of visual references on a radio station is a really bush-league move. I can just imagine what it sounds like on the radio when the CW TV sportscaster says "Look at that play!" Or the weather forecaster says "You can see this cold front moving down to Philadelphia on our weather map."

And how can you have only one anchor on the air continuously from 10pm to 4:30am? What if he feels sick or loses his voice? How can he talk for 6 1/2 hours without going nuts? But I guess that's still better than CBS-owned All-News WWJ Detroit, where the overnight news is prerecorded from an earlier hour that evening and plays continuously till dawn, with only live traffic drop-ins.

At any rate, it makes no sense to think KYW would add Talk programming. Boston listeners to WBZ are used to Talk airing nights. Philadelphia listeners for decades expect All-News on 1060 24/7. You don't want to mess with that.

Until, perhaps, those who care about late/overnight news dwindle to a number where it doesn't matter so much what they expect so much as what makes sense financially. In the near term? Not terribly likely. But longer term, the old phrase "never say never" comes to mind.

I agree with Bob E: In the near future ... perhaps as many as a few to several years ... talk on 1060 during the evening won't happen. But never say never.

As to the question about the overnight news anchor: I think quite a while ago, KYW moved to a system in which the base of two half hours are recorded late in the evening, and the overnight anchor only updates the very top and bottom of the hour - from aprox. :59 to :07 and :29 to :37 and also possibly sports.

Anyone ever notice that the evening traffic anchor doesn't say the "24-hour" in the regular sign off "in the KYW Newsradio 24-hour traffic center"? I've often wondered if it's because some of the overnight traffic reports are also not live ... thus if you look at it one way, it's not really a 24-hour traffic center.
I am hardly ever up between midnight and 4:30 a.m. ... but a couple of times that I have been, I've heard the same traffic anchor who starts doing the reports at 6:02 pm doing the traffic after 2 a.m. ... and some things in the reports led me to think they were possibly pre-recorded earlier in the evening.

What good is are traffic reports in a reasonably large metropolitan area if they're not live ... even if they are after midnight?

And I have to disagree with one earlier poster: I'm finding Google Maps traffic more accurate than reports (even the live ones) I'm hearing on KYW.

Agree on the Google Maps, and particularly the Google-owned Waze on my phone. With all of the technologies available today, "all news" is hardly the exclusive domain of a radio station the way it once was.

I agree with Bob E: In the near future ... perhaps as many as a few to several years ... talk on 1060 during the evening won't happen. But never say never.

As to the question about the overnight news anchor: I think quite a while ago, KYW moved to a system in which the base of two half hours are recorded late in the evening, and the overnight anchor only updates the very top and bottom of the hour - from aprox. :59 to :07 and :29 to :37 and also possibly sports.

Anyone ever notice that the evening traffic anchor doesn't say the "24-hour" in the regular sign off "in the KYW Newsradio 24-hour traffic center"? I've often wondered if it's because some of the overnight traffic reports are also not live ... thus if you look at it one way, it's not really a 24-hour traffic center.
I am hardly ever up between midnight and 4:30 a.m. ... but a couple of times that I have been, I've heard the same traffic anchor who starts doing the reports at 6:02 pm doing the traffic after 2 a.m. ... and some things in the reports led me to think they were possibly pre-recorded earlier in the evening.

What good is are traffic reports in a reasonably large metropolitan area if they're not live ... even if they are after midnight?

All traffic reports on KYW are live... none are pre-recorded. KYW DOES automate overnight. If you ever hear a traffic report overnight where the music bed comes up underneath them towards the end, that's automated so the traffic anchor knows when to dump out. Also, if you don't hear the news anchor give a current temperature, they're pre-recorded. They can give the time, since the talk drops can be timed out pretty accurately around the news reports.

So you mean to tell me that the times I have heard Rich Gunning doing traffic during the overnight shift that he worked live from 6pm until 4:22am the following morning? A 10 and a half hour shift doing traffic reports?

So you mean to tell me that the times I have heard Rich Gunning doing traffic during the overnight shift that he worked live from 6pm until 4:22am the following morning? A 10 and a half hour shift doing traffic reports?

If whomever the overnight traffic person is called out last minute, then yes, that's possibly what you heard.

On Fri 9/11, instead of the second half of the CBS Evening News, KYW aired part of a piece about a 101 year old candy store owner in Massachusetts. This ran only a few minutes and alternated with traffic and the area weather reports which Cheryl delivered in her usual bubbly upbeat style.

I don't understand whey there is always talk on this board about WPHT or KYW changing format. in 2015 the only AM stations that survive, seem to be the stations that have heritage, and stick to that heritage. Think of AM radio stations jumbo jets, that had a succesfull, 90-something year run, but they are almost out of fuel, loosing altitude, and will soon hit the ground. Most of them have hit the ground already. The ones who have not yet crashed into the ground, are gliding on their heritage. If you mess with that heritage, you will just chase off the listeners you have, and guess what, new listeners do NOT suddenly start listening to AM. Especially anyone under the age of 50. KY & PHT need to keep doing what they do, and do it well, until the asphalt starts to take the paint off the bottom of the plane!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom