• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KXXY 1970s Automated Programming

woodyrr

Frequent Participant
In one of the reel to reel tape deck facebook groups I belong to, a member posted video of his automated programming system previously used by a radio station. Watching it play, switching between seven Otari open reel decks and three rotary cart machines is fascinating.

Does anyone remember back in the 1970s when KXXY "Kicksee Ninety - Six" was automated with 1970s contemporary: Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Maxine Nightingale, etc and have any information about or photos of the automated programming equipment they used?

The only listener aircheck I have been able to find in my reel to reel tapes was an end of the year top 100 program called "Opus '76". Unfortunately, I edited out much of the commercials jingles and station IDs - stupid me.

Attachments

• OPUS 76 Reel.jpg
    OPUS 76 Reel.jpg
    623.9 KB · Views: 6
I can remember listening to it when it was still KOCY-FM and the DJ Sam Stone in 1969 playing all the "underground" music. Don't know when that format was started in OKC, but I came across it on the dial in August of that year when I was just 14 years old. Sure brought new sounds to the ears that were growing tired of WKY and KOMA Top 40. Wish I had airchecks of that time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom