• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KVIT 90.7 sold

At the FCC today: EVIT's far East Valley signal, KVIT (90.7), is being sold to Desert Soul Media, a Black-owned group which has a series of local directors. The purchase price is $112,000.

Per their statement, this will be the first Black-owned radio station in Arizona since 106.7 Buckeye was sold in 2000.

At the FCC today: EVIT's far East Valley signal, KVIT (90.7), is being sold to Desert Soul Media, a Black-owned group which has a series of local directors. The purchase price is $112,000.

Per their statement, this will be the first Black-owned radio station in Arizona since 106.7 Buckeye was sold in 2000.
This one is a head scratcher. I know a number of groups have been trying to get African-American oriented radio back to the Valley, but KVIT's signal mainly hits scorpions, coyotes, and rattlesnakes. It can't even be heard in Central Phoenix, where this Desert Soul group is headquartered. Did the sale include a perpetual lease of a future KPNG HD channel?

And, a little correction if you don't mind: KMJK was on 106.9 through its eight year history, even though they have a permit to move the signal to 106.7 now. All the areas that can get 106.9 can't receive KVIT (only KOHH in San Lucy/Gila Bend), and the areas which receive KVIT could never receive KMJK.

This one is a head scratcher. I know a number of groups have been trying to get African-American oriented radio back to the Valley, but KVIT's signal mainly hits scorpions, coyotes, and rattlesnakes. It can't even be heard in Central Phoenix, where this Desert Soul group is headquartered. Did the sale include a perpetual lease of a future KPNG HD channel?

And, a little correction if you don't mind: KMJK was on 106.9 through its eight year history, even though they have a permit to move the signal to 106.7 now. All the areas that can get 106.9 can't receive KVIT (only KOHH in San Lucy/Gila Bend), and the areas which receive KVIT could never receive KMJK.

Yeah, I'm thinking too far in the future over here. But yeah — this signal is not reliable even in the middle of Chandler. It is as marginal as they come without an HD or a translator. KXEG feels like it might have been a more reasonable buy to reach South Phoenix, but its translator is severely crimped by the South Mountain one.

The sale closed on December 9.

We missed the fact that Desert Soul had also picked up Radio Phoenix, which is now on the 90.7 stick. EVIT kept the call letters (and put them on the now-former KPNG), so 90.7 is now KRDP.

The sale closed on December 9.

We missed the fact that Desert Soul had also picked up Radio Phoenix, which is now on the 90.7 stick. EVIT kept the call letters (and put them on the now-former KPNG), so 90.7 is now KRDP.
Unlike the 93.7 Wickenburg allocation that I think Mobley had some dollars invested in, the former KVIT had a fully functional transmitter site with the means to get the programming from Phoenix to the transmitter. The now deleted Wickenburg stick, as you might recall, signed on long enough to complete program testing and was never heard from again because they couldn't make a STL work.

So as with The Goldmine, you can't hear 90.7 most places, but you can keep it on the air. You have to start somewhere.

I wonder when does KRDP 90.7 go live?

They filed a silent STA on December 20 and it's going to be about three months to get the transmitter site connected to new studio facilities.

The licensee (Desert Soul Media, Inc.) is completing the build out of the new on-air studio for the station KRDP-FM and waiting for key equipment, including its Emergency Alert System (EAS) encoder/decoder to arrive. Also, the building where that on-air studio is being built does not yet have T1 service, which will be used to complete the STL from the on-air studio to the tower site. Likewise, the vendor providing T1 service (CenturyLink) has advised that it could take them up to 90 days to complete the install and build out. The licensee cannot commence broadcasting on the station until the T1 service has been installed and is operational because it is necessary to link the on-air studio with the tower site. The vendor also has to obtain the approval of the licensee’s landlord, which is the city of Phoenix, for the T1 installation plan, which could take until the end of December 2021 or early January 2022. Once the plan is completed and the city of Phoenix approves it, the T1 service link will begin to be installed. The licensee projects that process will not be completed until late March 2022 or early April 2022.

I wonder if it would be technically possible to put a on-channel booster for KVIT 88.7 on South Mountain, or would that cause more interference than it's worth?

I wonder if it would be technically possible to put a on-channel booster for KVIT 88.7 on South Mountain, or would that cause more interference than it's worth?
KVIT's 60 dbu contour barely goes over South Mountain. So it theory you could, but the ERP of the booster towards Phoenix would be so low that it wouldn't be worth doing. The Interference between the main and booster would be hard to deal with as well. But a nice thought.

A development today: Desert Soul Media has been named tentative selectee for a new 91.9 facility in Wickenburg.

There’s a translator on 91.9 in Wickenburg. K220KF. It’s a K-Love translator. I know the original owner of that translator before it was sold to the company that’s LMAing it to EMF.
The translator will have to change its frequency and call letters

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom