• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KUHL Santa Maria to end

My understanding is that it's a pretty tough market. It sounds like the owner inherited the stations, didn't really know what to do with them, may have needed help that she couldn't find and, ultimately, just wanted to dispose of the assets as best she could.

I kind of wish the owner who was quoted in the article had explained what the issues with the station were.

She might not have known or have been able to explain them well herself. I'm sure, if anyone wanted KUHL, she would've sold it.

The article didn't seem to rule out her finding a buyer for the station, but "notify the FCC" can mean a lot of things. We'll find out once she files the paperwork whether she just turned in the license or asked for an STA to shop the property around.

I kind of wish the owner who was quoted in the article had explained what the issues with the station were.
Her husband died two years ago in a paragliding accident and she had no interest in operating the stations.

A source who was previously associated with the stations told me if sold the station would need to find a new tower site, which also limits potential buyers from wanting to invest.

Her husband died two years ago in a paragliding accident and she had no interest in operating the stations.

A source who was previously associated with the stations told me if sold the station would need to find a new tower site, which also limits potential buyers from wanting to invest.
Thanks for explaining.

My understanding is that it's a pretty tough market. It sounds like the owner inherited the stations, didn't really know what to do with them, may have needed help that she couldn't find and, ultimately, just wanted to dispose of the assets as best she could.
The city itself is 74% Hispanic. Not an issue unless the owner was stuck in the white past of "California Girls".

I considered those stations a while back when considering moving to that area near San Luis Obispo and Solvang. It would have been, I think, profitable if I had taken one station Spanish and then gone very local on the other of the two better signals. But it would be 12 hour days for me and my wife, and that is not what I was looking for in a fading industry.

Back
Top Bottom