• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTVK and KPHO Combined Morning Newscast

This morning, KTVK and KPHO did a combined morning newscast under the "GMAZ" banner. An interesting development...I wonder if we will ever see the CBS5 Morning News again or will the on-air staff just be incorporated into GMAZ airing on both stations from 4:30 to 7am.

They've combined some of their other newscasts as well. Probably trying to limit the in-studio staff until this Coronavirus burns out.

Exactly

They've combined some of their other newscasts as well. Probably trying to limit the in-studio staff until this Coronavirus burns out.

That is exactly what they said on the air both this morning and yesterday. Of note April had been sick earlier in the week and Tess has children at home(no School). All reasons to work at home. I missed Scott though. Hope to see him next week.

Of course, that's the immediate reason for combining all overlapping newscasts. The question remains whether this becomes "the new normal" over the long term.

It's just like I wonder whether all the temporarily closed retail stores will reopen. Just my two cents...

On another note, Ashlee D. did the weather from her backyard this evening. She has a beautiful pool. Since she has been working almost every day this week, it was probably a well needed break from the station and probably safer too.

On another note, Ashlee D. did the weather from her backyard this evening. She has a beautiful pool. Since she has been working almost every day this week, it was probably a well needed break from the station and probably safer too.

She has a nice backyard. But the water feature was loud and she had to try and talk over it.

Not sure if you saw that Kim Powell is also self-quarantining and has been doing reports from home. Including when her cat walks right in front of her camera

She has a nice backyard. But the water feature was loud and she had to try and talk over it.

Not sure if you saw that Kim Powell is also self-quarantining and has been doing reports from home. Including when her cat walks right in front of her camera

On the late news, you could hear Ashlee's baby crying in the background.

This morning, Debbie from Home Depot was live at Home Depot, rather than in the studio.

And watching Ashlee at home during Sunday 5:00PM news. She's more on the patio so you can't here the waterfall.

Is this what we've come to? Commenting on news personalities working conditions? Strange times indeed

This weekend (May 23 - 25) Kim Quintero came into the studio and did AM weather. I believe Kim is the first of the AZ Family Forecasters to do a weather report from the office since the Stay at Home orders started. The KTVK and KPHO studios is huge and there shouldn't be an issue with social distancing.

Back in the Building

On Friday July 24th Ian Schwartz returned to the TV studio. April Warnecke came back on Tuesday July 28th. Kim Quintero has been doing this since late May. I haven't seen any anchors or weather people that has been broadcasting from home returning.

On a side note, I wonder is the staff was asked to take days off without pay? Even with combining 3TV and CBS5 resources, there have been a lot of 'vacation' days for most of the anchors. However it's summer and people like to get away.

On a side note, I wonder is the staff was asked to take days off without pay? Even with combining 3TV and CBS5 resources, there have been a lot of 'vacation' days for most of the anchors. However it's summer and people like to get away.
My suspicion would be the opposite - if given an opportunity to get away and burn some of those vacation hours they've accrued, management is probably still being flexible enough to accommodate this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom