• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTRH and Chris Baker

M

mcammack

Mike O's post got me thinking

<I hate to admit it, but KTRH dropping most all the news and going to a Talk station is paying off. I miss an all News station, but it was a business decision like KLOL.

I personally think that Chris Baker's program has been destroyed since moving to KTRH. Before When he was on KPRC(?) you actually heard him talk now its freakin' commercials for 5 minutes...then a traffic news and weather report...then Chris say "Welcome to the Chris Baker radio program we'll be back...then another 5 min. of commercials...a minute or less of talk and a call...then the cycle starts over.

Its ridiculous. I guess instead of Less is More its More is Less!

It was the same way when KTRH aired Steven Dean's consumer show a few years ago. They forced him to keep the "Traffic and Weather together ever six minutes" format during the talk show. Add in ClearChannel's commercial load and the top and bottom of the hour newsbreaks and he maybe had 20 minutes worth of talk in his hour-long show.

If they want to be known as a news station, "The station of record," then do news. If they want to be a news-talk hybrid, then use that format (top, bottom of the hour news updates and maybe a traffic report at :15 and :45). But quit confusing the audience by trying to be both.

> It was the same way when KTRH aired Steven Dean's consumer
> show a few years ago. They forced him to keep the "Traffic
> and Weather together ever six minutes" format during the
> talk show. Add in ClearChannel's commercial load and the
> top and bottom of the hour newsbreaks and he maybe had 20
> minutes worth of talk in his hour-long show.
>
> If they want to be known as a news station, "The station of
> record," then do news. If they want to be a news-talk
> hybrid, then use that format (top, bottom of the hour news
> updates and maybe a traffic report at :15 and :45). But
> quit confusing the audience by trying to be both.
>
I agree - KTRH has ruined Chris' show. Leave the traffic and weather for the half hour updates and get on with the talk show.

I hate this, but I agree, too. Chris is my favorite local talk show host, but I've lost interest since his move and am now at the point where I forget to tune him in. He was a constant for my ride home from work most days (especially Friday's Reverse Trivia), but between the tons of commercials, news breaks, and even baseball interruptions, it's not the same.

> > It was the same way when KTRH aired Steven Dean's consumer
>
> > show a few years ago. They forced him to keep the
> "Traffic
> > and Weather together ever six minutes" format during the
> > talk show. Add in ClearChannel's commercial load and the
>
> > top and bottom of the hour newsbreaks and he maybe had 20
> > minutes worth of talk in his hour-long show.
> >
> > If they want to be known as a news station, "The station
> of
> > record," then do news. If they want to be a news-talk
> > hybrid, then use that format (top, bottom of the hour news
>
> > updates and maybe a traffic report at :15 and :45). But
> > quit confusing the audience by trying to be both.
> >
> I agree - KTRH has ruined Chris' show. Leave the traffic
> and weather for the half hour updates and get on with the
> talk show.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom