• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTLA expands weekday newscasts to 12 1/2 hours!

KTLA continues to slowly morph into a local all news station, at least during the week. Starting today, a new KTLA News @4 and 5pm send the CW Daytime albatross, The Bill Cunningham Show , and the much-hyped but low-rated Crime Watch Daily packing to the overnight graveyard. (2am, and 11:30pm respectively)

This trend has happened at a few stations around the nation, like KSNV (NBC) Las Vegas. All news, except for primetime and maybe 1 or 2 syndicated programs during the day. Is KTLA trying to go cheap and not pay for as much syndicated programming?

My understanding that this KTLA news expansion is only for this week, with Crime Watch and Bill Cunningham returning to their regular times next week. Given everything that's happened locally lately (especially this morning's LAUSD school closures, more police-suspect shootouts, and the unpredictable weather), you can see why KTLA is extra news mode right now.

KTLA continues to slowly morph into a local all news station, at least during the week.

That's what I love about the L.A. market! I could cord-cut easily and not miss CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC. Houston is just lucky for Fox 26 to offer 5 PM & 5:30 PM newscasts a few years ago and CW 39's NewsFix to compete with the long-established Big 3 newscasts. The Big 3 offer only around 6 or 7 hours weekdays.

Not only that, for some inexplicable reason they are now simulcasting the 10:00pm news on 5.2, right after the replay of the earlier newscast ... pre-empting even more of Antenna TV.

I never understood why KTLA is doing that to antenna TV. Especially the 10 o'clock newscast when it's already on 5.1.
Wouldn't you rather have more antenna tv than same ol' news?

Makes very little sense to me, especially coming after the delayed by three hours repeat of their 6:00 and 6:30pm casts in the 9:00pm hour.

If I were running Tribune, I'd be asking KTLA management:
1. Is it still "news" after three hours?
2. Is the replay really necessary if it's going to be immediately followed by a live newscast?
3. Can't Antenna TV viewers use the "channel down" button if they want to watch news at 10:00?
4. Do you understand that it's scheduling idiocy like this that makes more and more people watch via DVRs?

If KTLA really wants to be sure they have news on somewhere around the clock, they should activate the .4 stream, simulcast the live newscasts there and rerun the most immediate newscasts in-between the live ones. Bonus for them: They would then have somewhere to put live coverage of breaking news, and with a little promotion KTLA/5.4 could become ingrained in viewers' minds as where to turn when something important happens ...

It is rather mind-boggling that KTLA would do that...I somewhat understood when they had to cover-up "Married...with Children" on Antenna because KDOC had the local rights, but now they're covering-up "Barney Miller" in the 9pm hour, and "Newhart" in the 10pm, two shows they had no problem carrying for as long as Antenna has had the rights.

yup. usually after work, I would tune in Antenna TV in prime time. Now between Johnny Carson and the two hours of news, there's not much to watch and I miss the sitcoms. Hopefully with the next schedule change we'll get more TV and less news.

I get the idea of doing more news hours...no syndicated programming to pay for and the ability to load up the hours with commercials since you only have so many avails in syndicated programming. Running a news team is cheap enough compared to striking deals to clear programming and handing over cash as well. Each hour they add makes news cost less and less.

I get the idea of doing more news hours...no syndicated programming to pay for and the ability to load up the hours with commercials since you only have so many avails in syndicated programming. Running a news team is cheap enough compared to striking deals to clear programming and handing over cash as well. Each hour they add makes news cost less and less.

That is a right-on-the-money answer ... although it unfortunately cannot explain the bizarre move of simulcasting the 10:00pm cast on 5.2, pre-empting Antenna TV.

My 5.4 idea keeps looking better and better. :cool:

That is really bizarre. I even thought it was strange when the big 3 networks in my market replayed the 10 pm cast around 1 am. In three hours some news stories are quite dated and in sports and weather, typically some content is very dated as well. Maybe it was more of a way to get a bit more cash per avail on the 10 pm cast while claiming to serve the public a bit better by repeating the news in a different time frame.

On a related note, visiting the DFW area I had the opportunity to watch an interesting 'news slash infomercial' on one station. It was an entire hour featuring some from the earlier news hosting a parade of local business products. The presentation was decidedly newsy versus infomercial but the person was introduced as an owner or representative of a local company although phone and address were not pushed. It was the lead-in to The View as I recall. It was done very tastefully and I was impressed with the idea that came across as more informational than a paid commercial. I thought it was a great way to 'sell' an hour. It followed a lengthy news block. Following The View, it was the Midday news starting at 11.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom