• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTiP Porterville

Not an April Fool's joke. It"s past midnight so this might be an engineer's test loop / soundtrack. I am hearing a continuous loop of Bob Marley's "Jammin" interspersed with English-language KTIP IDs. It's heard on AM, FM and the even the nternet stream. Sister station KGEN is still running normal Spanish.

The AM transmitter has been sounding bad as of late so perhaps it's being adjusted.. (A few weekends ago the station lost audio for over a day; maybe the silence detection system is being modified.)

Last edited:
Strange. When I was DXing from Ohio in the early 60's, KTIP was the only Class IV channel station from west of the Rockies that I ever heard. And that was around 1961 when it ran 250 watts!

As of late this morning (PDT) KTIP is now running a "Jammin Oldies" format, sort of urban classics and rythmic oldies. It streams on the Internet at

Yes. It is "Jammin 101.3 Porterville" per the sweepers. The FM translator covers Porterville and Lindsay.

Again, not an April Fools joke. (I noticed the Spanish-language ad load had dropped to almost nothing in the last few months. An LMA makes sense at this point.)

Last edited:
It still could be an April Fool's joke, just not yours. Perhaps the station's just having fun ahead of a real format flip. I mean, do you imagine there's a whole lot of demand for a Jammin' Oldies format in and around Porterville?

As of late this morning (PDT) KTIP is now running a "Jammin Oldies" format, sort of urban classics and rythmic oldies. It streams on the Internet at

Yes. It is "Jammin 101.3 Porterville" per the sweepers. The FM translator covers Porterville and Lindsay.

Again, not an April Fools joke. (I noticed the Spanish-language ad load had dropped to almost nothing in the last few months. An LMA makes sense at this point.)
Are we sure that translator is really serving much at all? 5 watts at 13 feet?

Yea really, That would only go a few blocks, with no building penetration, to cover all of Porterville to Lindsay it needs to be at least 10 watts at 50 ft, but maybe do to KWYE 101.1 that's all they get.
Maybe they're working on something stronger on the FM side, otherwise they're just playing some classic hip hop for the classic car folks. If I still had my El Camino I know where I'd be cruising! It reminds me of KZLA, and that's good because that doesn't make it in to Tulare County, but I don't think the format will get much traction on AM. Who knows!

I thought the format change might be driven by some bizarre thought that Jammin Oldoes 94.3 in Fresno stopped broadcasting. Realistically 94.3 never reached Porterville. Who knows what's behind this shift.

The coverage of 101.3 remains tiny. Porterville also has two, 10-watt FM translators near the KIOO tower. EMF has 105.7 and Radio Campesina plays on 107.1. The coverage of those two both ends at the the Tulare city limts, 105.7 gets chewed up by KQMX at that point and 107.1 eventually will lose to a Visalia LPFM when the LP100 launches.

Jammin 101.3 now has listener line per their stream at "559-853-1659" for fans to leave comments.

Here's the website for Jam'n 101.3:

Someone at the Porterville Music Instagram feed screenscraped the Porterville Recorder newspaper article:

Oh my word.. The Porterville music scene is pretty bizarre based on the regional concerts listed. .See instragram.com/portervillemusic/

Wow! That was quick!

The former La Bonita illuminated signs outside the KTIP offices have been replaced with ones carrying the Jam'n 101.3 logo.

Back
Top Bottom