• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTHS AM 1480 & translator 96.9 FM Berryville

Have any of you listened to this station and what do you make of it?

They changed from a Bluegrass format a couple months ago!

I listen to 1480 sometimes in the car and they call their format "Classic Hits", but their website says that they are "Classic Rock". However, the music they play is definitely the former and not the latter.

I think it is good to hear different music on the AM. That is, something other than Spanish, Religious, or Country. What think you?

Also, radio-locator says that 1480 is broadcasting at 5kw. I don't believe that. The signal here at Washburn, MO is too weak for them to be broadcasting at that high of a power, I think.

When I found out KTHS had a translator and also had an online stream, I checked them out. Not bad for small town radio. Glad that the station is back playing music and not a relayer for Hog Sports Radio back the last time I visited Eureka Springs (October 2010).

I don't think the AM stations in the Ozarks have the groundwave coverage as stations in the Delta and Widwest do. Probably issues with ground conductivity.

the quicker kths is sold....goes dark....or otherwise stops broadcasting one of the worst programmed...imaged....and presented signals in the nation....the quicker arkansas radio as a whole gets 100% better.

hoss cartrack said:
the quicker kths is sold....goes dark....or otherwise stops broadcasting one of the worst programmed...imaged....and presented signals in the nation....the quicker arkansas radio as a whole gets 100% better.

That's a real over the top statement.....

Now if the AFR stations in Arkansas would go dark, *that* would be a good first step.

rgseark2009 said:
hoss cartrack said:

That's a real over the top statement.....

Now if the AFR stations in Arkansas would go dark, *that* would be a good first step.

/quote]

may be over the top...but its true....sometimes the truth is not pretty. no one there has any business being in this business

Bunyard Broadcasting paid WAY too much for those stations when they bought them. And as the Bunyards always do, within 10 years of buying a station, it's usually worth half what they paid for it. They are one of the worst broadcasters in the state, right up there with the group in Monticello.

wpiv926 said:
Bunyard Broadcasting paid WAY too much for those stations when they bought them. And as the Bunyards always do, within 10 years of buying a station, it's usually worth half what they paid for it. They are one of the worst broadcasters in the state, right up there with the group in Monticello.

truer words were never spoken. do you know who they hired to manage...i mean furter bury the station after tim poynter was fired(god....please dont get me started on lil' timmy poynter....)? jim earles....the man they bought the station from. it's worse than anyone could describe.

and for the bunyards....i'm told that copper wire was invented over two bunyards fighting over a penny.

Speaking of fighting over a penny, I have plenty of stories of how the Bunyards literally sqeezed the life out of a station. (1.) Teresa Bunyard once made a long distance call to argue with a manager over a 35 cent stamp. (2.) Jay Bunyard would instruct his Friday night football announcers to hang up the cell phone at the first break after 9 p.m., and call the station right back. The reason for this was that all calls made after 9 p.m. were free. (3.) He also once balked at paying gas money for the play by play man going to out of town games, much less paying him a salary. He said they should be doing it for free for the "excitement of the game." (4.) If you ever have the misfortune of working for them, don't ask for raise. You'll never get it. They act like they're doing YOU a favor and being generous by paying minimum wage. And they act genuinely puzzled when their employees don't like it. You can only treat your people like crap for so long, and they'll leave. Then, your stations suffer, sales drop, and eventually the stations have to be sold.

It may not be next week, next month, or even next year, but it's been my experience through life that people like the Bunyards always get their just desserts in the end.

Oi know this is way to much to believe...but i actually made a decent wage for the market when i worked for them at KTHS in berryville....(over 30K). i have never been afraid to work and work long hours. what amazed me what the fact that i got up at 3:30 in the morning...what there by 4:30 to go on the air from 5-10. i would work all day and then have to stay on game nights to run thr board for ballgames. they would not hire some high school kid or even get an intern for that stuff. they paid no talent fees for remotes. heck i made $50 an hour when i was 18....30 YEARS AGO. teresa charged me $5 per check for sending my child support check. THEY EVEN CHARGED ME FOR MY DOOR KEY. when i left...or was fired...(i made too much money and they could hire a monkey to do what i did...their words)...they held the charge out of my final check for changing the code on the alarm. i wasnt aware it cost anything to do that....it may have actualy been for the wear and tear on the keypad.

they have no sense of programming...formatics...music flow...or business ethics. absolutely the worst radio experience of my life. hell..i'd rather go back to work for kermit womack that work for them again. yes..i'm a member of the "i survied the colonel club"...lol.

i know i sound bitter and like a little whiney kid....i'm really not. they just never cease to amaze me with some of the things they get by with.

I didn't have that experience, and I left on my own terms, not theirs, but I believe the way they've gotten away with it is that, for what they pay, usually - not always - but the people you get at that price are just glad to have a paycheck coming in, nothing more. And they sometimes don't have the know how, money or time to take them to court. I know of a couple of instances that, someone with a good lawyer and some sense could have CLEANED THEIR PLOW for the crap they pulled on some unknowing employee. And Bunyard never lasts when confronted with some stiff competition. He always folds like a dirty shirt everytime because he's too cheap to compete. All that stuff he's trying to do in NW Ark. will be his downfall I predict.

nothing would please me more than to see the bunyard's out of this business that i..and obviously you too...love. what hurts is that when that finally happens, they will displace alot of people who really need jobs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom