• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSON in HD

KSON-FM is up and running in HD. There is no HD-2 just yet, and we're getting the artist and title feature finalized.
Would be curious to get reception reports from around town. Let me know the type of receiver and antenna you are using. This message is for the 4 or 5 people who actually have HD radios...
Happy Holidays to all!

Escondido 92.1 is NOT in HD. KSON reception in Norte County Sandy Eggo is OK near the coast, not available on the 78 past Melrose (going east).

HD is a big yawn. The radio cost me $135 with incentives

So Chris, Are you talking about receiving KSON 97.3 in HD near the coast? Or are you talking about 92.1 having issues on 78? Have you decided that HD is a "big yawn" based on the KSON experience, or HD in general with those others you've been able to hear? If HD isn't the answer to improving commercial radio, what is? Can you notice a difference between the analog and the digital at all? Does the analog seem to work as well with digital as it did pre-digital? What say you oh scribe?

Yo...JB
How ya' doin? I haven't time aligned the analog and digital yet. KSOQ is analog only, but will have the same delay as KSON analaog when all is said and done.
Eric

Hangin' in there, digging the leaves all over my yard and the vibe of Melmfus. Doing some volunteer work for WEVL here, but not on call when the thunder rolls. I'll be interested in hearing about the digital coverage and the blending issues. You gonna put up HD 2 or 3? Ask Pete about "the handshake" sometime. I still laugh at that one.

RadeoEngineer said:
So Chris, Are you talking about receiving KSON 97.3 in HD near the coast? Or are you talking about 92.1 having issues on 78? Have you decided that HD is a "big yawn" based on the KSON experience, or HD in general with those others you've been able to hear? If HD isn't the answer to improving commercial radio, what is? Can you notice a difference between the analog and the digital at all? Does the analog seem to work as well with digital as it did pre-digital? What say you oh scribe?

I'll try to explain myself better, Radio Engineer:

KSON in HD sounds great. The digital delay from analog to HD is not in sync yet. I expect it will be. For my KSON fix (and it's often) I tune to 92.1 FM. Nice stick that one. I hope KSON does HD2. I have the JVC HDR1 radio and tuning is easy for multicasting stations.

HDRadio, at the present time, is a big yawn -- however it is at the cutting edge and should be more of a "stay tuned". The technology is too new. I still find the big box stores and Rat Shack not knowing what this new fangled thing is.

HD vs. analog. I'd take HD. KSON sounded fantastic in HD in my drive from Carlsbad Village to 92056. It was solid until Melrose. Terrian is the issue, not the HDRadio signal (Hence the 92.1 relay). When the sync between digital and analog are tweaked it should be seamless when the radio switches back and forth.
As a note, I can get 94.1's HD2 'station' solid up to Cal State San Marcos. If KSON's 92.1 goes HDRadio, it'll be a solid product for spelling country in Norte County.

KOGO-AM in HD is great. I listened to Rush's show on Christmas day for the music. Sounded good (and I believe it was in stereo too.) If the HDRadio signal switches to analog (like the powerlines on el Camino Real and Oceanside Blvd.) there is no delay. Same with KMYI, KIOZ and KUSS. HD and main analog are syned. KPBS-FM is a split second delay. KGB-FM is "iffy" where I live in 92056 and along the coast until Cardiff. (Furthest catch on AM: KNXT-AM Las Vegas; KCBS-AM San Fran. generally around sunset. Impressive.)

Is it the magic pill to save radio? Content is king, technology is nice .... content is king.

So Chris, do you think there's enough difference in audio quality with HD for it to be some level of driving force for people to want the technology, or is it just a subtle difference that won't do much to compete with the sat services and iPods?

One of my good engineering friends in San Diego TV used to say that Laverne and Shirley in high def is still Laverne and Shirley.

RadeoEngineer said:
So Chris, do you think there's enough difference in audio quality with HD for it to be some level of driving force for people to want the technology, or is it just a subtle difference that won't do much to compete with the sat services and iPods?

One of my good engineering friends in San Diego TV used to say that Laverne and Shirley in high def is still Laverne and Shirley.

Your friend is right. Laverne and Shirley are still the same in standard and HDTV

For me: HDRadio is a tech-ride. New stuff (Hey, I have it!) kind of thing. The receiver is in my car -- not exactly the acoustics for digital sound. I maintain that the multicasting stations are best in the city grade signals of the stations. For most of Sandy Eggo the demarc line north is Encinitas / Rancho Bernardo. I get KPBS-HD1 and HD2 fine in my driveway. Once I start driving ... nuttin. The only solid performer is 94.1. The HD1 and HD2 stations are avail. 107.1 in Fallbrook is in HD and has a HD2 station. Solid. The station is in Espanol ...

Of course, AM is a bit different: KOGO is solid. KLAC is good. KNX (except for the KCEO tower area) is wonderful. I also get 740 KBRIGHT from Catalina Island. Near sunset, I can pull in KXNT and KCBS-AM (prior to 740 Catalina Island sign on) in HDRadio. KABC, the HDRadio "blinks" and I get the info, but not the hi-def audio.

Is it worth the "upgrade"? If you are a serious radio listener at home. YES. For the car and live in the city grade area .... "YES". For 92056 it's still a "stay tuned" item.

I hope that helps. Thanks for reading.

wattsup said:
KSON-FM is up and running in HD. There is no HD-2 just yet, and we're getting the artist and title feature finalized.
Would be curious to get reception reports from around town. Let me know the type of receiver and antenna you are using. This message is for the 4 or 5 people who actually have HD radios...
Happy Holidays to all!

On the other hand, your former CBS stations in Phoenix are still dragging their feet with installing the HD equipment at their sites. It's kind of disappointing because I was waiting to hear KROQ (which is to be on 101.5-2) here in Phoenix.

Hey, Great to hear from you! Well, we had everything pretty well planned out before I left town. One day it's high priority, the next day...well not so much. The CBS stations here in SD aren't yet in HD either, but I think one will be soon. My great asst. in Phx. went off to another gig, and I'm sure he;ll do well with that.
And Chris, thanks for the comments on reception in North County!
Happy New Year to all.
ES

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom