• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSL-5 Finally Will Carry "Saturday Night Live"

Since there is no TV board for Salt Lake City or Utah, I'm posting this message here.

Ever since becoming an NBC affiliate in 1995, KSL-5 in Salt Lake City has refused to carry "Saturday Night Live". In recent years, KUCW-30 has picked-up the show.

"SNL" isn't the only NBC series KSL has refused to air. The station, owned by Bonneville Communications (which in turn is owned by the Church Of Latter-Day Saints) also refused to carry "The Playboy Club" and more recently, "The New Normal".

But beginning with the new season in September, KSL will finally give-in and carry the legendary late-night comedy/variety series.

Broadcasting and Cable story:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/494270-_SNL_Returns_To_NBC_Affiliate_in_Salt_Lake_City.php .

I wonder if NBC threatened KSL with yanking their affiliation.

KSL has been airing SNL, so I'm not sure what this breakthrough is all about. It's been on at 9pm Saturday nights a few times I've tuned by.

KSL is in a difficult position. It's hard to have a successful TV station without a major network, yet the major networks are in a race to the bottom of a smut pit. The disaster with Conan/Leno has also deeply damaged KSL's 10pm news numbers, so networks can both help and hurt affiliates.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom