• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSAN-HD2

So, to summarize the non-HD1's that @e-dawg and @MarkRoberts found to be currently (7/21/23) on the air and feeding programming (mainly to consolidate the data):
[...]
92.3 KSJO-HD2/HD3/HD4 -- [unidentifiable]
I discovered this weekend that KSJO-HD4 is programming a format called "High-Fi Dream". The website (https://www.highfidream.com/) doesn't say much, but a stream is available. Domain registration is private, so no luck trying to figure out what's going on, or how it landed on KSJO, whose other three channels are South Asian-oriented. It's hard to describe, but I'll try: a mix of ambient, slower-speed dance, and pre-grunge early 1990s alternative. The HD signal pops in and out in Oakland. There's also an aircheck of it on the Internet Archive.

I discovered this weekend that KSJO-HD4 is programming a format called "High-Fi Dream". The website (https://www.highfidream.com/) doesn't say much, but a stream is available. Domain registration is private, so no luck trying to figure out what's going on, or how it landed on KSJO, whose other three channels are South Asian-oriented. It's hard to describe, but I'll try: a mix of ambient, slower-speed dance, and pre-grunge early 1990s alternative. The HD signal pops in and out in Oakland. There's also an aircheck of it on the Internet Archive.
Thanks for the info - I’m listening now and it’s good! It’s playing Cocteau Twins type stuff currently.

Of course I would discover it one week before my move. But I would need the stream most of the time I'm Oakland anyway.
The stream should also be available from Denver. (Where, iirc, you're about to move to.) Unless it's geofenced, in which case you'll need to find a closer station or a VPN.

Good luck, BTW, up there where the air is thin. Is anybody left from the ba.broadcast days, except you-know-who?

The stream should also be available from Denver. (Where, iirc, you're about to move to.) Unless it's geofenced, in which case you'll need to find a closer station or a VPN.
We'll see when I'm there.

Good luck, BTW, up there where the air is thin. Is anybody left from the ba.broadcast days, except you-know-who?
Thanks. The air isn't as thin as it is in Santa Fe, though!

I'm not sure whom you're referring to regarding ba.broadcast (McCarty? Presumably not "Charles Newman", the best troll of all time, because he really needed an audience to pull off his shtick) but it's pretty much dead. Ba.broadcast.moderated is totally inert because we pulled the moderation account for it. Likewise for rec.radio.broadcasting. The automated feeds that had been populating rec.radio.broadcasting moved over to alt.radio.broadcasting.

We'll see when I'm there.

Thanks. The air isn't as thin as it is in Santa Fe, though!

I'm not sure whom you're referring to regarding ba.broadcast (McCarty? Presumably not "Charles Newman", the best troll of all time, because he really needed an audience to pull off his shtick) but it's pretty much dead. Ba.broadcast.moderated is totally inert because we pulled the moderation account for it. Likewise for rec.radio.broadcasting. The automated feeds that had been populating rec.radio.broadcasting moved over to alt.radio.broadcasting.
Ah yes, you're right, Chuckie was a world-class troll. (Hotel radio guide, anyone?)

I was referring to McCarty. That guy has some serious issues (racism, antisemitism and misogyny among them), but he did single-handedly destroy that group. Last I looked, he continues to do his cut-and-paste ranting to an audience of one.

Yes, the air's thinner in Santa Fe. But if you really want to be up near where the airplanes fly, there's a road in Yellowstone N.P. that peaks at about 9500 feet. Did that once, and never again.

High Fi Dreams.

Cannabis related?
Some Imaging: "Sub Culture in sound" "Get High on Hifi, Highfi Dreams" "This isn't a Genre, it's a Vibe"

Last edited:
"you are not hallucinating you are dreaming, High fi Dream"
"High Fi Dream, an exhibition of your mind"
"High fi dream, YES! you are dreaming"
"High fi dream, don't fall sound asleep, ascend sound awake"
"you now have permission to dream, high fi dream"
"the right lighting, the right temperature, the right vibe, THE RIGHT MUSIC, High Fi Dream"
"music that moves you, high fi dream"
"the sounds of the clouds, high fi dream"

It is a good mix for 32yo stoner like me.

Ah yes, you're right, Chuckie was a world-class troll. (Hotel radio guide, anyone?)
And the obsession with the California State Fair!

I was referring to McCarty. That guy has some serious issues (racism, antisemitism and misogyny among them), but he did single-handedly destroy that group. Last I looked, he continues to do his cut-and-paste ranting to an audience of one.
I don't think it was single-handed, though he certainly had a negative effect on the signal-to-noise ratio, and he really, really needs to get help. It was bizarre that he had this obsession with a small college station (KFJC) due to something, I'm not sure what, that happened more than 30 years ago. Regardless of his silliness, there was the definite feeling in that group that it should only cover over-the-air radio and not streaming, podcasts, etc. This was a point of some contention when the moderated newsgroup was first proposed. I thought that was too narrow a definition, but I was voted down. So ba.broadcast - and the moderated newsgroup, which was intended to counter all other trolls, declined along with over-the-air broadcast media and, ultimately, Usenet declined as the number of publicly available NNTP servers declined. I probably never should have agreed to be a moderator but one of the behind-the-scenes denizens of Usenet persuaded me.

Yes, the air's thinner in Santa Fe. But if you really want to be up near where the airplanes fly, there's a road in Yellowstone N.P. that peaks at about 9500 feet. Did that once, and never again.
Or just go to Sandia Crest...and feel the RF!

"the right lighting, the right temperature, the right vibe, THE RIGHT MUSIC, High Fi Dream"

Also notable - it does not appear to segue songs.

Not at all. It does harsh the vibe.
It's all very mysterious (and, right now in the midst of a move, I don't have time to run it down) - like, how did to come to be based out of San Jose? Cheap lease for the HD channel? Crazy 50-ish tech guy who used to be a raver wanting his own stream now that he's made his money? Bored teenager in Sunnyvale with indulgent parents? Secret shoegazer at Bolly 92.3?

I'll amend this with what I'm able to get at my Oakland location (about 1390 feet up from sea level). I was also in San Leandro yesterday, and can add a few notes from there.

91.1 KCSM HD1 Jazz
92.3 KSJO HD1 +HD2 through HD4, can barely get in Oakland, could get in San Leandro but nothing identified clearly

I believe KRZZ is a relatively recent addition to HD broadcasting

97.7 KJLV HD1 Air1 HD2 Air1 w/ ~10 sec days HD3 K-Love 90's HD4 Radio Nueva Vida

Can't get 98.5 in Oakland

Can't get 100.3 in Oakland

HD2 is "Pulse" - iHeart's form of dance/LGBTQ+++ programming

106.9 is KFRC-FM

+HD3 K-Love 90s

BONUS: KPFA (94.1) has Punjabi Radio USA on a 92 kHz subcarrier!
For KPFA Punjabi Radio it looks like you'd need an old school Musak converter, are they still around?

For KPFA Punjabi Radio it looks like you'd need an old school Musak converter, are they still around?
I have a radio modified with an SCA (SCS) adapter that I bought on eBay. That's probably the place to look for one if this is of interest. That's the only SCA/SCS program that I've found in the Bay Area in recent years.

(of ba.broadcast on Usenet) There was the definite feeling in that group that it should only cover over-the-air radio and not streaming, podcasts, etc. This was a point of some contention when the moderated newsgroup was first proposed. I thought that was too narrow a definition, but I was voted down. So ba.broadcast - and the moderated newsgroup, which was intended to counter all other trolls, declined along with over-the-air broadcast media and, ultimately, Usenet declined as the number of publicly available NNTP servers declined. I probably never should have agreed to be a moderator but one of the behind-the-scenes denizens of Usenet persuaded me.
If this is to be believed, it's not yet time to write off Usenet: USENET, the original social network, is under new management

Hmm, probably one I'll avoid then (I'm proud to say that I'm about as clean as anyone can hope to be – no drugs, alcohol or smoking of tobacco or any other illicit substance (except, unfortunately, for some hefty doses of wildfire smoke (complete with burning car and house fumes) over the past ~8 or so years, as have approximately 40+ million other people, sadly)).

c

Hmm, probably one I'll avoid then (I'm proud to say that I'm about as clean as anyone can hope to be – no drugs, alcohol or smoking of tobacco or any other illicit substance (except, unfortunately, for some hefty doses of wildfire smoke (complete with burning car and house fumes) over the past ~8 or so years, as have approximately 40+ million other people, sadly)).

c
Air quality is more of a problem here than it used to be due to the wildfires, particularly from up north. And you probably remember September 9, 2020, which I call "the day with no sun", where we had at most 6% of possible solar radiation all day when smoke from nearby fires was trapped in an inversion layer. You had to drive with your headlights on all day. That day was freaky...no herbal enhancements required.

I don't see the business model of an HD4 channel that isn't running commercials. That's why I suspect it's someone's hobby. I mean, good for them, and I'm enjoying it (and I don't even drink coffee; I just like the ethereal concept), but....

Air quality is more of a problem here than it used to be due to the wildfires, particularly from up north. And you probably remember September 9, 2020, which I call "the day with no sun", where we had at most 6% of possible solar radiation all day when smoke from nearby fires was trapped in an inversion layer. You had to drive with your headlights on all day. That day was freaky...no herbal enhancements required.
Yeah, I remember that day all too well! The northeast and upper midwest experienced something similar earlier this summer I think, not once, but twice!

I sincerely hope I never have to experience anything like that ever again, but sadly, the way the climate's been getting all wonky (we can debate the reasons why, but the one thing that's undeniable is that some kind of change is happening, and its results aren't good).

I don't see the business model of an HD4 channel that isn't running commercials. That's why I suspect it's someone's hobby. I mean, good for them, and I'm enjoying it (and I don't even drink coffee; I just like the ethereal concept), but....
Yeah, good for them. It's probably either a billionaire or the child of one that had nothing better to do than to program a radio station dedicated to... whatever it is it's dedicated to.

c

Back
Top Bottom