• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KRTH has finally added more 90's

No, they are not staples of the format in extremely white Seattle. But they definitely are, and proven by research, in LA. The market is less than 25% non-Hispanic white born-in-the-USA residents. In 25-54, it is near 70% Hispanic, Asian and and Black, and about 10% first generation immigrants that don't fit any of the "big 3" ethnicities (they are Persian, Armenian, Russian, etc.)

What KRTH is playing is the music that a significant portion of the 35-54's in the ethnic / recent immigrant groups will also like. So it's right for LA, but not for Seattle or Fargo or Birmingham or Little Rock.

Again, you are using a Seattle standard for an LA station.

They have been inching in this direction for years, each time with adequate testing here in LA.
I see this as an all or nothing principle at this point. Add these songs in, and you are most certainly going to change the overall “feel” of the station. The 70’s, 80’s and 90’s have enough in common that you can curate a playlist that bounces from Sheryl Crowe to Steve Winwood, but I have significant doubts about that being true when you add in music that is naturally going to be more polarizing.

Essentially, if we’re shifting into The Killers, Bruno Mars, and other more modern acts, action will likely need to be taken to change the rest of the playlist. While I hate to see it happen, they’re going to have to cut much of their 80’s playlist and focus more on a few specific “tried and true” 80’s tracks that good enough to keep around listeners who are there mainly because they want to hear Bruno Mars and The Killers. Maybe they keep “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” (and other highly recognizable songs) while shifting the format entirely. It’s too bad, but this seems to be the trajectory.

Maybe they keep “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” (and other highly recognizable songs) while shifting the format entirely. It’s too bad, but this seems to be the trajectory.

As I've said, the way they're handling this is with running the edgy stuff at night. The bulk of the music, the songs getting the most spins, comes from the 80s. That's the sweet spot. This isn't rocket science. It's just music.

Give me 5 more years and I'll be outside the demo for 25 to 54 age group for k-earth
And, obviously, their target at KRTH is not 25-54 but 35-54. 25-54 is a broad range of the ages within which most agency buys fall... add in 18-49 for most ethnic buys, and there is not much agency business below 18 and over 55.

The other thing that has changed is the ethnic composition of the market, which is now about 75% Hispanic, Black, Asian and first generation immigrants of other origins. The tastes in music of those groups is not the same as non-Hispanic whites, even if they like English language contemporary music gold.

For 38 years, I lived in coastal Orange County, where KRTH's signal comes in very clearly. The station has a huge audience in O.C., because it replaced the last of the oldies AM stations. When KRLA A.M. with their oldies format went off the air in the late 90's, that listening audience switched over to KRTH, and that listening audience stayed with KRTH at least a decade. Orange County is 39.9% White Non-Hispanic, 20% Asian, and 20.5% White Hispanic.

I'm thinking that KRTH must have surveyed an audience outside of the city of Los Angeles, as big as it is. They probably had to sample the suburbs of Orange County.
Otherwise, KRTH wouldn't be playing Shania Twain and Johnny Cash. JMO

Looking at the playlist on Online Radio Box, it seems the songs from Shania Twain and The Killers were played back to back during the 8AM hour. Possibly some sort of '90s/2000s theme going on during today's morning show? The playlist over the past handful of hours looks like the KRTH of normal, it doesn't seem like there's been any mass addition of music from the '90s or newer, nor do I expect that to come for at least another year or two.

FYI Neither of those artists is in their regular rotation. They may have played Shania because she was at the Grammy Awards.
They just played Tiny Dancer by Elton John. That goes way back to the beginning of the 70's. If you have a chance, could you check to see if that song is in regular rotation? I thought I understood their playlist ( thank you for helping me learn about it) but,maybe they are undergoing some kind of awkward metamorphosis. JMO. Or maybe not. Thanks from Daryl

Last edited:
They just played Tiny Dancer by Elton John. That goes way back to the beginning of the 70's. If you have a chance, could you check to see if that song is in regular rotation?

Tiny Dancer gets 6 spins a week. Rocket Man gets 9 spins a week.

They play at least a few dozen 70s songs, including Sweet Home Alabama, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, and Earth, Wind, & Fire.

Looking at the playlist on Online Radio Box, it seems the songs from Shania Twain and The Killers were played back to back during the 8AM hour.

I think the Shania spin was related to the morning show talking about the Grammy Awards. They also played Nancy Sinatra. I noticed she was a trending topic because she tweeted "I am officially too old to watch the Grammies."

Tiny Dancer gets 6 spins a week. Rocket Man gets 9 spins a week.

They play at least a few dozen 70s songs, including Sweet Home Alabama, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, and Earth, Wind, & Fire.

I think the Shania spin was related to the morning show talking about the Grammy Awards. They also played Nancy Sinatra. I noticed she was a trending topic because she tweeted "I am officially too old to watch the Grammies."
Thank you so very much for taking the time to check ! :) :) :) Much appreciated, from Daryl

FYI Neither of those artists is in their regular rotation. They may have played Shania because she was at the Grammy Awards.
I was gonna say, Johnny Cash? I think it's been 20-25 years since "I Walk The Line" played on that station.

Give me 5 more years and I'll be outside the demo for 25 to 54 age group for k-earth
You're probably almost as brand-loyal and resistant to advertising as your average 55+ listener is, so the ad agencies bid you a fond farewell and the radio station gets to crow about how focused it is on the lower half of 25-54.

You're probably almost as brand-loyal and resistant to advertising as your average 55+ listener is, so the ad agencies bid you a fond farewell and the radio station gets to crow about how focused it is on the lower half of 25-54.
Says who?. I'm liking what they are playing over at k-earth I may not like the ads they play but that's life.

K-Earth should just rebrand themselves as just the 80's and 90's. Looking at the playlists on RadioBox, very little 70's are even getting played on this station, which is the direction they are heading in. What very few 70's songs in rotation now really take away from a station saying they play 70's, when in fact, its far and very few now. You're fortunate to even hear one 70's song per hour these days.

Interestingly, they did spin "Pass the Dutchie" (1983) by Musical Youth at 1:52am, Saturday 2/4, so that's cool.

K-Earth should just rebrand themselves as just the 80's and 90's. Looking at the playlists on RadioBox, very little 70's are even getting played on this station, which is the direction they are heading in. What very few 70's songs in rotation now really take away from a station saying they play 70's, when in fact, its far and very few now. You're fortunate to even hear one 70's song per hour these days.
But they are playing 70's. Why do you care? You are not in their target audience, they don't care what someone hundreds of miles away think. They are billing a higher percentage of market revenues than they ever have and have the best 25-54 numbers ever.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom