• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KPTK 1090 to sports (KFNQ) in January???

Looks like the switch is happening even sooner than expected. Randi Rhodes announced on her show tonight that this was the last week for progressive talk in Seattle. RIP KPTK, you will be missed.

Lonely Summer said:
Looks like the switch is happening even sooner than expected. Randi Rhodes announced on her show tonight that this was the last week for progressive talk in Seattle. RIP KPTK, you will be missed.

Totally COLD. Randi Rhodes, gorgeous SWEET lady she is (my wife and I met her several years ago at Hempfest 2006) But she'll be back. Trust me. Seattle LOVES her.....

And now, a flashback....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcscvYqzVsE

Lonely Summer said:
It is normal for her and other hosts to take off most of the balance of December for holidays, like Ronn Owens, so I wonder if she is saying this is her last show on 1090 or does KFNQ plan to go into stunting Christmas music until Jan 2. BTW, KLAY is not committed to any of the hosts as of now. Mike Malloy announced new 'media outlets' in the new year.

Follow up,

I called CBS Seattle and they stated that yes, they would switch formats Jan 2 to Sports, but no, they have no plans to quit the progressive format until then. I think Randi meant that this is her last show on AM 1090 before her long holiday break, in which the station will have flipped.. Stranger things have happened, but I think the person I talked with sounded like a straight shooter. He did refer me to http://progressivevoices.com/.

I imagine they will be using the next few weeks that Jim Rome is coming to 1090 (He has signed with the new network and CBS-TV as well)

3 (THREE) sport talkers in Seattle??? Really? We will have more sports talk radio stations than we do professional teams, at this rate.

It rates up there with 3 or 4 talk stations. KIRO AM, (KJR AM/KNBQFM/KHHO), KFNQ, KRKO, so really 5 sports talkers counting Everett/Tacoma and simulcasting.

Blatherwatch said:
It rates up there with 3 or 4 talk stations. KIRO AM, (KJR AM/KNBQFM/KHHO), KFNQ, KRKO, so really 5 sports talkers counting Everett/Tacoma and simulcasting.

Actually 8, counting ESPN Deportes KBRO 1490, KNTB 1480/92.1 & KLDY 1280

This has been one crappy year for radio in Seattle for this listener. First we lose the best oldies station the town has ever seen in the former KMCQ. Now we lose the other station I listened to most often, Progressive Talk AM 1090. I guess I will sign up for SIRIUS when my 3 month free trial is up. With the exception of KOMO, the rest of terrestrial radio in Seattle is sheer garbage.

toonces2u said:
This has been one crappy year for radio in Seattle for this listener. First we lose the best oldies station the town has ever seen in the former KMCQ. Now we lose the other station I listened to most often, Progressive Talk AM 1090. I guess I will sign up for SIRIUS when my 3 month free trial is up. With the exception of KOMO, the rest of terrestrial radio in Seattle is sheer garbage.
Toonces, I think you and I are the same person! Seriously. These have been the only stations I could stand to listen to the last couple years. I am considering alternatives as well. The world of satellite and online radio is foreign territory to me, but it seems to be the only place to get decent programming. I just don't like the thought of coughing up the money for the technology. But I guess there's no choice now.

Lonely Summer said:
toonces2u said:
Toonces, I think you and I are the same person! Seriously. These have been the only stations I could stand to listen to the last couple years. I am considering alternatives as well. The world of satellite and online radio is foreign territory to me, but it seems to be the only place to get decent programming. I just don't like the thought of coughing up the money for the technology. But I guess there's no choice now.
scott, wonders about your all's stubborness to stick with seattle AM/FM all this time. fact is, them big corporate slickers dont give a damn about you. seriously, seattle radio with out a triple A, and left wing politics/talk? this is the one city that should support one or two of each, not zero. perhaps the FCC communication radio act of 88, and 92 conglomerated a few big conglomerates, who eventually trended for more of a safe cookie cutter centralized/national programming philosophy, leaving you all stuck with Mcradio. i made the satelite radio switch in 2002, right when we headed off on a big road trip for a week. yep, the best part of the trip was the great country music programming on several channels, which was way beyond the centralized, chart controlled, speeded up and artificially sound modified product your all force fed here on the major market FM. dont like country? you will also find real album rock, and deep triple A, as well on "DEEP TRACKS", and "THE LOFT". hey, right now XM/SR is rotating some great new van morrison, little feat, and joe walsh, that the seattle radio magnets, and gelded programmers don't think you can handle. need some good live radio personalities to present this great music? check out meg griffin, and dan neer on DEEP TRACKS, and THE LOFT. some of the best ive ear'd in the business. heck, you can prob get your sat radio goin' with a good unit for a few dozen bucks or less at ebay, or craig list, and sign up for six months at 25.00. but dont worry, you can always turn your satelite unit off and tune that bob rivers show on KJR, or the local talk of KVI and KIRO, or listen up to some 50,000 watt AM classic country on 1520.

And as far as online radio is concerned, you probably already have all the equipment you need.
A computer, a player (Winamp is great, although Windows Media Player is on Windows PC's), and preferably a broadband connection.
Or you can hear Internet radio on your phone (ooTunes for Iphone is super, even though it costs a few bucks; updated when things change, and the developer responds quickly.)
There's a whole world out there waiting for you.

multiplex said:
And as far as online radio is concerned, you probably already have all the equipment you need.
A computer, a player (Winamp is great, although Windows Media Player is on Windows PC's), and preferably a broadband connection.
Or you can hear Internet radio on your phone (ooTunes for Iphone is super, even though it costs a few bucks; updated when things change, and the developer responds quickly.)
There's a whole world out there waiting for you.

I'll be the first to vouch for the variety on internet radio. Terrestrial radio has NOTHING on it.

All we can do is sit back and watch corporate terrestrial radio eat itself from within into irrelevance....

Problem is, a lot of my radio listening is done in the car. Oh, wait, I'm sure there's some tech stuff to help me there, too. I'm just not a tech savvy person. It was nice when listening to radio meant listening on a ....well....radio!

Lonely Summer said:
Problem is, a lot of my radio listening is done in the car. Oh, wait, I'm sure there's some tech stuff to help me there, too. I'm just not a tech savvy person. It was nice when listening to radio meant listening on a ....well....radio!

Today, you can listen to radio on anything BUT a radio......

Bongwater said:
Lonely Summer said:

Today, you can listen to radio on anything BUT a radio......
I'm picturing a moment similar to the opening of SCTV, where everyone tosses their radios out the window.

here is the CBS Radio Sports network linup as we know so far:

6-9am: Tiki Barber, Dana Jacobson, and Brandon Tierney

9- noon: John Feinstein

Noon -3: Jim Rome

3-6pm: Doug Gottleib (former ESPN)

All times Eastern.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out on 1090.... Rome has been trying to get on a full market signal in Seattle for over 10 years.

No word on what will replace Rome on KHHO... But then again, would anyone notice?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom