• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KNX Talk at Night?

Yes, absolutely, Michael. Safety has to come first during a quake. I think these newscasters certainly did the right thing. Anyone in their place would be worried about the lighting grid or the ceiling collapsing. I remember being concerned as a viewer, because the camera showed how severely the studio was shaking. Your points are well taken. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 - Daryl
I disagree with nothing Michael wrote, but I'd add one thing: The ND, PD, GM and Chief Engineer (or Director of Engineering, whatever the formal title is) all need to ensure that studio and control room furniture is sturdy enough to protect talent and staff in the event of a quake. Too often the stuff looks designed for flash, and that it would collapse in a strong wind. (Like that classic Johnny Carson Tonight Show bit where a prop mockup of his desk collapses when Carson bumps into it during a taping.) It's not just there to give glitz to the set, it has to be able to withstand a light fixture collapsing onto it while protecting whoever's taken shelter beneath it. (Those old Steelcase desks could withstand a nuclear blast, but modern furniture -- especially those cantilevered cubicle desks that modern corporations are so enamored of -- couldn't protect a puppy dog from a fart. Not that a Steelcase desk would ever be likely to find its way onto a modern TV Newsroom/studio set.)

I disagree with nothing Michael wrote, but I'd add one thing: The ND, PD, GM and Chief Engineer (or Director of Engineering, whatever the formal title is) all need to ensure that studio and control room furniture is sturdy enough to protect talent and staff in the event of a quake. Too often the stuff looks designed for flash, and that it would collapse in a strong wind. (Like that classic Johnny Carson Tonight Show bit where a prop mockup of his desk collapses when Carson bumps into it during a taping.) It's not just there to give glitz to the set, it has to be able to withstand a light fixture collapsing onto it while protecting whoever's taken shelter beneath it. (Those old Steelcase desks could withstand a nuclear blast, but modern furniture -- especially those cantilevered cubicle desks that modern corporations are so enamored of -- couldn't protect a puppy dog from a fart. Not that a Steelcase desk would ever be likely to find its way onto a modern TV Newsroom/studio set.)

Steelcase makes a fine product, that's for sure. If I had to manage a staff working under heavy lights like that, I'd certainly want the strongest furniture possible.
Your story about Johnny Carson's mockup desk reminded me of a CBS "60 Minutes" interview that was taking place in the home of Bill and Hillary Clinton sometime back in the 90's, and one of the lights fell down, narrowly missing the Clintons. Of course, that's not the same as a permanently affixed light in the studio, but as a viewer of "60 Minutes", I found that very unnerving. - Daryl

Your story about Johnny Carson's mockup desk reminded me of a CBS "60 Minutes" interview that was taking place in the home of Bill and Hillary Clinton sometime back in the 90's, and one of the lights fell down, narrowly missing the Clintons. Of course, that's not the same as a permanently affixed light in the studio, but as a viewer of "60 Minutes", I found that very unnerving. - Daryl
Thank you, Daryl. I knew, as I was writing my earlier post, that there was another example of a falling light rattling around somewhere in my head, but just couldn't call it forward. You solved that mystery. Yes, I remember the shock and fright on Hillary's face at that moment (and Steve Kroft's, IIRC), and it was absolutely genuine.

I know we're getting waaaay off topic, but all these comments about quake coverage are bringing back strong memories. I was working at CBS-2 as a staff newswriter/producer when the Northridge one hit early in the morning January 1994. My house was just a few miles south of the epicenter. Heard glass crashing all around me in the dark. The power went out immediately. My wife was screaming. Grabbed my flashlights, reassured my wife, then checked the entire home. Big cracks in the drywall, and a huge window in our living room shattered. Had no water service. No gas. Then I had to navigate many non-working stoplights while driving to the studios in Hollywood. Our quake coverage went about 18 hours straight that day. Later me and my colleagues all won Golden Mikes. A day I'll never forget.

Last edited:
I know we're getting waaaay off topic, but all these comments about quake coverage are bringing back strong memories. I was working at CBS-2 as a staff newswriter/producer when the Northridge one hit early in the morning January 1994. My house was just a few miles south of the epicenter. Heard glass crashing all around me in the dark. The power went out immediately. My wife was screaming. Grabbed my flashlights, reassured my wife, then checked the entire home. Big cracks in the drywall, and a huge window in our living room shattered. Had no water service. No gas. Then I had to navigate many non-working stoplights while driving to the studios in Hollywood. Our quake coverage went about 18 hours straight that day. Later me and my colleagues all won Golden Mikes. A day I'll never forget.

Congratulations on your Golden Mike award ! That's a tremendous achievement. :) - Daryl

One thing to watch is the number of Audacy all news stations with open anchor shifts in the PM drive, evening, or overnight hours.

WCBS / WINS / KNX all have unfilled openings, some of which have been open for well over a year (WINS). Why make a permanent hire when its possible that you'll fill the slot with some Audacy produced news/talk program, eliminating the need for a full time hire.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom