• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KLove market

As of April 9th 2023. I know these radio markets don’t have KLove stations. Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, Spokane. Any others?

As of April 9th 2023. I know these radio markets don’t have KLove stations. Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, Spokane. Any others?
That and another related question is what markets don't have K-Love on a metro-wide, as opposed to rimshot signal.

St. Louis MO and Lewiston ID

Minneapolis has K-Love on two translators and two HD subchannels but no full powered stations.

Spokane has K-Love on a 100 kW rimshot but the signal is non-existent south or east of Geiger Field. The rimshot is on 98.5 in Grand Coulee about 100 km NW. Tri-Cities K-Love on 93.3 starts coming in to the south and west of Spokane once the local translator fades out; and is somewhat strong on the Palouse (Pullman/Moscow) before disappearing around Lewiston.

Lufkin-Nacogdoches, Texas has nothing being offered by EMF on the dial. Tyler-Longview has K-Love, but no Air 1. Both places are served by our own area powerhouse Christian ministry, the Educational Radio Foundation of East Texas. They own 7 full power FMs here.

Traverse City MI.

There are plently of markets where EMF has not fully entered yet. In the past they were hesitant to enter markets where a heritage independent non-commercial Christian AC was established, but in some they have done so, but in others like Houston (KSBJ), St. Louis (Joy 99), and Orlando (Z88) they have still not done so.

Just in PPM markets besides those three, EMF has yet to bring K-Love to Dallas, Tampa, Baltimore, and Columbus.

In Miami, Minneapolis, Charlotte, Sacramento, Cleveland, Raleigh, and Norfolk they are on rimshots, translators or both.

In Miami, Minneapolis, Charlotte, Sacramento, Cleveland, Raleigh, and Norfolk they are on rimshots, translators or both.
Given the amount of fundamental Christians in Charlotte, Raleigh and Norfolk, I'd imagine that those are high on the list.

Even Miami, since in 99% Spanish speaking Puerto Rico they recently added a station that covers a bit more than half of the market.

However DFW and Houston do have K-Love sibling Air1.
There are plently of markets where EMF has not fully entered yet. In the past they were hesitant to enter markets where a heritage independent non-commercial Christian AC was established, but in some they have done so, but in others like Houston (KSBJ), St. Louis (Joy 99), and Orlando (Z88) they have still not done so.
Speaking of KSBJ: Its owner, Hope Media Group, is now present in many of the same markets as EMF following HMG’s purchase of the WAY-FM network of stations. This may result in EMF being less hesitant in bringing K-Love to Houston. Radio One’s KROI has been frequently mentioned as a target, though I understand EMF would need to do a deal with Univision which supposedly still claims (but does not use) the K-Love branding in Houston.

Speaking of KSBJ: Its owner, Hope Media Group, is now present in many of the same markets as EMF following HMG’s purchase of the WAY-FM network of stations. This may result in EMF being less hesitant in bringing K-Love to Houston. Radio One’s KROI has been frequently mentioned as a target, though I understand EMF would need to do a deal with Univision which supposedly still claims (but does not use) the K-Love branding in Houston.
Correct. EMF's trademark for K-Love has three markets carved out. Dallas, Houston and Los Angeles.

In Los Angeles, EMF calls 100.3 KKLQ, "Southern California's K-Love for Christian Music" in its ID as part of a deal with Univision, but cannot use the K-Love moniker in marketing such as billboards or TV spots. Audacy owns it in Dallas and Univision in Houston still.

Correct. EMF's trademark for K-Love has three markets carved out. Dallas, Houston and Los Angeles.

In Los Angeles, EMF calls 100.3 KKLQ, "Southern California's K-Love for Christian Music" in its ID as part of a deal with Univision, but cannot use the K-Love moniker in marketing such as billboards or TV spots. Audacy owns it in Dallas and Univision in Houston still.

But dont they call it KLove in the imaging and thats what the DJs call it.. and thats ok?

I was going to say the same Univision still has the rights to the KLOVE name here in Houston.

And is there really anymore space for another Christian Radio station?

KSBJ, AIR1, KROI Praise, KHCB,

I don’t know if 100.7 KKHT is still Christian or not, I rarely tune in but most of the time when I do they’re talking more politics than religion.

I was going to say the same Univision still has the rights to the KLOVE name here in Houston.

Also don’t forget KJIC, basically the Country version of KSBJ. Too bad it only serves the southern half of the market, along with the far western exurbs via KQLC.

There’s KAFR for the northern half of the market.

Several LPFMs in the mix, and we haven’t gotten into the Spanish language stations.
I don’t know if 100.7 KKHT is still Christian or not, I rarely tune in but most of the time when I do they’re talking more politics than religion.
It’s a mix of religion and politics, plus scattered financial shows.

Given the amount of fundamental Christians in Charlotte, Raleigh and Norfolk, I'd imagine that those are high on the list.

Even Miami, since in 99% Spanish speaking Puerto Rico they recently added a station that covers a bit more than half of the market.
There should certainly be no shortage of Evangelicals in those markets. Fundamentalists would be less inclined to listen to anything but hymns and southern gospel. By contrast, I knew several K-Love listeners and small-dollar donors in my United Methodist church.

KSBJ has increased its footprint, and with the Way-FM merger EMF would have its work cut out for it if they even were able to get a signal in Houston.

They are in Des Moines but on two translators. Both 250 watts with decent height. Des Moines has a stand-alone 100kw Northwestern College signal and an independent Christian CHR Class A. So, I doubt EMF will be doing anything big here anytime soon.

They are in Des Moines but on two translators. Both 250 watts with decent height. Des Moines has a stand-alone 100kw Northwestern College signal and an independent Christian CHR Class A. So, I doubt EMF will be doing anything big here anytime soon.
That doesn't seem to mean anything. Seattle has had a successful CCR station for over 40 years but still got K-Love a few years back!

Also don’t forget KJIC, basically the Country version of KSBJ. Too bad it only serves the southern half of the market, along with the far western exurbs via KQLC.

There’s KAFR for the northern half of the market.

Several LPFMs in the mix, and we haven’t gotten into the Spanish language stations.

It’s a mix of religion and politics, plus scattered financial shows.
Yes those too, La Nueva From Houston, La Nueva From Dallas which is also heard here in Houston. Radio Aleluya, Vida Unida, Visión Latina, Radio Fortaleza internacional, Radio Vida, and that one from 95.3 .

That doesn't seem to mean anything. Seattle has had a successful CCR station for over 40 years but still got K-Love a few years back!
Well a bit more detail for you, Des Moines actually has 2 CCM formats apart from the KLove translators already here and a Christian CHR/Pop/Rhythmic. I don’t know that EMF sees a lot of value in acquiring or building a larger signal with the saturation in the market.

I've always been mystified by the WCAD acquisition. Christian formats are huge in Puerto Rico, but CCM is one of those genres where understanding the lyrics matter since it is so message-centric, so music mostly in English is a no-go.

It would have made far more sense for signal-challenged Nueva Vida (no relation to the K-Love allies out in Camarillo) to upgrade to the stronger 105.7 signal. How many Puerto Ricans are actually going to donate to K-Love?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom