• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKSS jocks from the early 1990s

I recently heard an old aircheck from sometime in 1992 of KKSS back when it was one of the best sounding Rhythmic CHRs in the country. Great talent such as Cadillac Jack and Chaz Malibu in the morning, Randy Savage, JJ Morgan, Charlie Foxx, Joe Mama, etc. were on it.

The station had slick imaging with Mark Driscoll in his heyday, good jingles, beds, etc. It's playlist was heavy on dance and rap music that was popular at the time and mixed in some mainstream hits if they were big enough, then evolved into a hip-hop leaning CHR in the mid '90s. I remember other jocks like Mad Max, Hollywood Hayes, and the original Jacque James. Terry "Motormouth" Young was there for a short time as well.

It really made me miss the "good ol' days" when radio was fun. Having to fire off all of your elements manually, lots of contests(that listeners had a real chance of winning), promotions, request lines going nuts, breaking carts by throwing them against the studio wall in frustration when they weren't cued up(yes, that was fun too).

What a great era. I'd like to find more of these airchecks. If anyone knows where I can find any please let me know.

I found this site a while back http://46124.info/FM/New Mexico/

Although there are only two sound short clips of KKSS in 1989 and they have some static they do present what they sounded like back then. Having been a youth at that time KKSS basically dominated the youth market throughout the 1990s. Some of us may have listened to the rock or country stations but 97.3 was undoubtedly the top station. They were more of a dance-pop station until hip-hop really started to take over the format about the mid 1990s which is what most teens were listening to them for anyway.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom