• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFYR playing oldies?

Here in Rapid City I've noticed KFYR playing oldies during the day. The web site shows an oldies show from 6:45pm to 9pm. Anyone know why the change from talk to tunes?

I don't have an answer to your question, but hopefully they are trying to revitalize and attempt to become the great station that they once were... It's been about two or three years since I've been back and listened to KFYR, but I grew up in ND and listend to KFYR religiously from the early 70's to the late 80's. The tractors didn't have FM and KFYR boomed right in. I remember a little bit from the late 60's, but not much. Continous fight between my Dad, who favored KSJB, and me. In any case, during those days of top 40, KFYR had great production quality, a quite interesting array of on-air personalities, and a great sound. They could have fit right in to a much bigger market. I remember going back in the 1990's and early 2000's and thinking, "what the hec happened to KFYR?" From a top-40 giant of the upper midwest to running the neighborhood want ads. Ouch!

Like it would be practical to b an AM Top 40 station in this day and age. My guess is they replaced music with talk, like a bazillion other AMs have had to.

JBHTEXAS wrote "...but I grew up in ND and listend to KFYR religiously from the early 70's to the late 80's. The tractors didn't have FM and KFYR boomed right in." and "...during those days of top 40, KFYR had great production quality, a quite interesting array of on-air personalities, and a great sound. They could have fit right in to a much bigger market."JBH... If you subsitute IN for ND and WOWO (Ft Wayne) for KFYR, it sounds like we've led the same life! WOWO was great. Fast forward 25 years and not only are they running syndicated talk (Rush, Beck and the rest of that ilk) the FCC allowed a big power cut so a station on Long Island could boost their power. (Yeah, like New York City is an under-served radio market).I guess the times, they are a changing. If I was on a kid on the tractor today, I'd probably get XM or buy an i-Pod. Personality radio... R.I.P.

Bear the other white meat said:
WOWO was great. Fast forward 25 years and not only are they running syndicated talk (Rush, Beck and the rest of that ilk) the FCC allowed a big power cut so a station on Long Island could boost their power. (Yeah, like New York City is an under-served radio market).
Like a Ft. Wayne station needs to boom hundreds of miles eastward? Per capita, Ft. Wayne is FAR more served than NYC.

I think KFYR should stay with talk, they've been the leader here for years. Cumulus recently brought SuperTalk to 1270AM, with an aim at grabbing some of KFYR's huge audience. It would be a shame for KFYR to just hand it over to 1270. SuperTalk does have some high profile shows like Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity, so the game is on! If I want to listen to music, I'll just switch to FM, and if I want Oldies, I'll just listen to Cool 98.7... hello!

KFYR

KFYR does a little bit of music on weekends and a couple hours at night, but it's only a part of what's going on. There's still news and sports, ag news, and other stuff. Not exactly trying to be a jukebox.Try listening to Kool when you go to the lake on weekends.Oh, and Rush pummels anything on KLXX, and they've been doing talk for a few books now. Funny to hear how often Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity talk about Rush. Meanwhile, how many talk shows on KLXX talk about North Dakota issues?

Bear the other white meat said:
JBH... If you subsitute IN for ND and WOWO (Ft Wayne) for KFYR, it sounds like we've led the same life! WOWO was great. Fast forward 25 years and not only are they running syndicated talk (Rush, Beck and the rest of that ilk) the FCC allowed a big power cut so a station on Long Island could boost their power. (Yeah, like New York City is an under-served radio market).I guess the times, they are a changing. If I was on a kid on the tractor today, I'd probably get XM or buy an i-Pod. Personality radio... R.I.P.
I don't have XM, so I don't know what's available, but for me, it was the good-natured interaction of the personalities that made the listening enjoyable and passed those long days. The music was fine, but you heard the "top 20" four or five times a day. The personalities kept it interesting. I can stand talk radio today, at least how Rush and Hannity etc. do it. Not because I necesssarily disagree with their views, but because of their confrontational, arrogant, shouting, in-your-face style. It's stressful just to listen to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom