• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFOX?

Reading stories in the trades about Mikey Esparza heading back to San Diego on KFMB-FM, all mention he started 30 years ago at "KFOX/Tucson." I've never heard of this station from back in the day. Can anyone shed light on anything about it?

Reading stories in the trades about Mikey Esparza heading back to San Diego on KFMB-FM, all mention he started 30 years ago at "KFOX/Tucson." I've never heard of this station from back in the day. Can anyone shed light on anything about it?

I can't remember where the Fox was on the dial, but I'm pretty sure that Jim Sharpe worked there after he left Power 92 circa 1990.

I'm pretty sure that there have been at least two or maybe three Foxes in Tucson radio. Of course there is Ted Tucker's 98.5 which is off the air more than it is on the air. In the much more distant past there was a Fox on 92.1 and it is correct that Rich Robbin owned a tiny part of the company's stock and so did Barry Mishkind. The vast majority of the stock was owned by an out of town investor. After upgrading the facility to 50 kw the foxes sold the station and it became KFMA. I think there also was a Fox on either 1450 or 1490 A.M. and Robbin had some involvement with that one too. After all these years it is hard to remember. Robbin, incidentally, is reported to be again living in Tucson but is retired.

Why a radio station would want to be known as Fox evades me. The concept is pretty "foxed up".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom