• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFOG stays AAA with new PD Bryan Schock

A "fresher" version, meaning a lot less of what made the show a longtime fave. Schock claims he "always intended to bring it back". Yeah. Sure. :)

Couldn't agree more. Acoustic Sunrise was the only thing that felt something close to the 'free form' radio that was pioneered in San Francisco. You know, where stations trusted DJs with the music.

Speaking of the music, this whole thing is going to fail big-time. These Corporate outsiders never get how unique the Bay Area is. Time after time this market has rejected outsiders who've come in, thinking they know it all, and tell us how knowledgeable or great they are. We don't want to hear it. In Bay Area, we've already decided on what we like and what we've chosen to learn. The exceptions (Dave Morey, Sarah Clark) are people who've learned to be humble in their approach to the Bay Area audience. Matt Pinfield, with his incessant name-dropping and references to how great everything is, just won't fly around here. Bet on it.

In Bay Area, we've already decided on what we like and what we've chosen to learn.

You make it sound like Bay Area are very closed minded, set in their way, provincial folks, and that just doesn't jive with my experiences at all. I've found Bay Area people to be very open to new things, from food to music. The Bay Area has seen a lot of growth from "outsiders" as you call them, and not everyone is a native. So I'm not sure this is as big a problem as you make it appear.

Sponsors want big audiences with sellable demographics and internet stations simply don't deliver that. That's why more people don't do it.

Unless the listeners are willing to pay a regular monthly fee, it won't work.

I run three Internet radio stations and I can tell you, there's so much out there it's very difficult to operate.

As for making money, I do it because I like it. I've never made a dollar with it.

New MD/On air personality Alicia Tyler coming to KFOG

It appears Ms. Tyler, who we were told would be the midday jock, has been pressed into service as Pinfield's sidekick instead. I guess there was only so much raspy-voiced ******-bro-ery that the target demo of soccer moms could stand in morning drive. Meanwhile, they're still jockless in middays.

It appears Ms. Tyler, who we were told would be the midday jock, has been pressed into service as Pinfield's sidekick instead. I guess there was only so much raspy-voiced ******-bro-ery that the target demo of soccer moms could stand in morning drive. Meanwhile, they're still jockless in middays.

With everything else she's doing, her Music Director chores probably were enough without extra show prep.

With everything else she's doing, her Music Director chores probably were enough without extra show prep.

I'd argue there's probably more show prep for morning drive (even as a sidekick) than there would be for middays. Especially on KFOG where they don't exactly want you to be chatty. Meanwhile, they're stagnant at a 1.7 in the new June ratings book.

Has the change in direction made any changes to KFOG in the key demos? While it hasn't moved from pre-changes in 6+, if it has traded the 55+ for 18-49 and 25-54, then I'd say these changes have been at least somewhat successful.

They may come up with a new concept. 10 songs from a random past year at 10AM. Mix in audio clips of that particular year, as well. That could be their daily standard, holding listeners over from the morning and maybe getting more people tuning in at 10am. Just a thought!

They may come up with a new concept. 10 songs from a random past year at 10AM. Mix in audio clips of that particular year, as well. That could be their daily standard, holding listeners over from the morning and maybe getting more people tuning in at 10am. Just a thought!

Pinfield already does a show like that...called Flashback.

His show, Flashback is on Daily at 10AM??

No. Why does it have to air at 10 AM? Why can't you just record it and play it whenever you want? You probably do that with TV shows.

My point is it isn't a "new concept." It's being done by Pinfield at that station. You want it to air at a specific time? That's your problem.

No. Why does it have to air at 10 AM? Why can't you just record it and play it whenever you want? You probably do that with TV shows.

My point is it isn't a "new concept." It's being done by Pinfield at that station. You want it to air at a specific time? That's your problem.

You clearly missed 1069_KIFR's sarcasm. :) He was referring to 10@10, which was KFOG's highest-rated hour of the day for decades.

You clearly missed 1069_KIFR's sarcasm. :) He was referring to 10@10, which was KFOG's highest-rated hour of the day for decades.

Question: If 10 at 10 was the highest rated segment on KFOG, why did they choose to get rid of it? It was the only thing I listened to besides the Sat. and Sun. sunrise shows. Assuming they were trying to distance themselves from the 55+ demographic, but jeez, for less than 1 hour a day (in the mid-morning) they couldn't throw a bone to their old fans? I gather it could also be a cost decision, couldn't afford to keep Annalisa, and realized having someone lesser attempt (eg. see failed tenure of Renee Richardson) it would have not gone well.

If they'd thrown a Bone, that would be on 107.7

LOL. Actually, I'd always assumed that if anything ever happened to KFOG (as had been rumored numerous times in recent years) they'd move 10@10 to the Bone. Less-adventurous, more-tightly-playlisted versions of 10@10 do quite well on Classic Rock stations like The Drive in Chicago and The Sound in LA.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom