• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFNY now Smooth Jazz

KFNY 102.9 Centralia, WA switched to Smooth Jazz a few weeks ago. The station also serves the Seattle-Tacoma market. Would be nice if they stick with this format. We shall see.

KFNY 102.9 Centralia, WA switched to Smooth Jazz a few weeks ago. The station also serves the Seattle-Tacoma market. Would be nice if they stick with this format. We shall see.

This usage of a format that is not commercially viable sounds like part of the transfer of this station to the Ocean Station Trust where it will be held until sold. In other words, and has been commented by others here, the format is likely a placeholder.

This usage of a format that is not commercially viable sounds like part of the transfer of this station to the Ocean Station Trust where it will be held until sold. In other words, and has been commented by others here, the format is likely a placeholder.

There was an article in Radio Insight that said it WAS a placeholder but the article has been removed.

Gee, David, how did you know? :) From their wikipedia entry:

"On November 1, 2017, iHeart announced that they would acquire KFNQ, KJAQ and KZOK from Entercom as part of its merger with CBS Radio, and divest KFOO and KUBE to the Ocean Station Trust in preparation for their sale to a third-party (which was completed on December 19th).[7] As part of the impending divestment, the station swapped callsigns with KFNY in Riverside, California on November 14, 2017. On December 11, 2017, KFNY switched to an unbranded smooth jazz format as an interim format,[8][9] while KFOO's previous format and branding was moved to an HD Radio subchannel of KJAQ as Alt 96.5 HD2." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFNY_(FM)

On the other hand, I was able to listen to it once and their music mix was quite good. KWJZ didn't even air Michael Franks' songs, and I ended up hearing 'When I Give My Love to You' on KFNY (featuring Brenda Russell). Some Boney James, older Dave Koz, also a new one from saxman Vandell Andrew, who began his SJ career a few years ago.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom