• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFNC text identifying as KFNS and random KFNC notes

B

Brett

I am not sure what the text that displays on newer radios is called, but KFNC is identifying itself as KFNS on the text. If they want to get the best recognition for their call letters, they need to check what text the station is sending out. I guess they are still getting the bugs out of the system. I was pleased to see that Mike Shiloh from K-Star Country has moved to KFNC though, as I enjoyed listening to him on K-Star Country (which I enjoyed more than the other country stations), but could not longer listen to K-Star at home (near the Galleria) since the KSBJ translator takes over 99.7 (although K-Star at 99.7 comes in on my car radio generally about when I get downtown, although weak. (Does KSBJ even need a translator in Sugar Land -- I have always received their main signal just fine when in Sugar Land).

And hearing Jim Carolla this evening on KFNC was great too, since KILT should not have downsized their news department because their news coverage set KILT apart from other music stations. The news on KILT solidifies the local feel that sets it apart from the satellite programing on KKBQ (like Lia, however you spell her name, who tries so hard to sound local with all those inserts of her saying "the new 93Q and careful lack of references to geography by callers, but when the callers say "I want to dedicate this song to my husband who is out ice fishing" I generally don't get the feeling that the callers are from Houston!), and also sets it apart from the "Jukebox without any DJS" that plays most of the time on Country Legends.

Back to KFNC, on the other hand, hearing Phil Hendries' show tonight the topic was ridiculous -- the show focused on a man who wants to ban Japanese steakhouses like Benihana because he claims they induce post traumatic stress episodes in veterans of wars in eastern Asia (including WWII, Korea and Vietnam) with the use of knives and fire by the Japanese chefs.
(the man talking himself was a Korean War vet, but apparently he can't tell the difference between Japanese chefs and the North Korean soldiers who may have been the enemy he faced--but certainly the Japanese and Koreans, with a long and unpleasant history at times in their relations, would be able to write volumes about the differences in the Japanese and Korean peoples)

> Back to KFNC, on the other hand, hearing Phil Hendries' show
> tonight the topic was ridiculous -- the show focused on a
> man who wants to ban Japanese steakhouses like Benihana
> because he claims they induce post traumatic stress episodes
> in veterans of wars in eastern Asia (including WWII, Korea
> and Vietnam) with the use of knives and fire by the Japanese
> chefs.
> (the man talking himself was a Korean War vet, but
> apparently he can't tell the difference between Japanese
> chefs and the North Korean soldiers who may have been the
> enemy he faced--but certainly the Japanese and Koreans, with
> a long and unpleasant history at times in their relations,
> would be able to write volumes about the differences in the
> Japanese and Korean peoples)
>

Evidently you have never listened to Hendrie. The whole thing was a set up, with Hendrie doing all the voices, except for those of the incensed callers.

Yes HEndrie is an aquired taste. The first time I heard it he was talking about Airplane pilots should be able to sue passengers for moving around the cabin of the plane and other things. My wife and I were driving to my families for Christmas and she was Livid! Then right before a commercial break he came out and said that the show was a farce and it was all in fun and yet people still called in and complained. If you listen he does tell you that the show is fake.

I first listened to Hendrie when he was on KPRC-950 a few years back. You wouldn't believe the number of calls he received from the Houston area (Spring and points north were the most common) incensed at whatever left-leaning "guest" he had on that night. They made for some of the most entertaining callers.

I find it hilarious that people actually think the "guests" he puts on are for real.

> Yes HEndrie is an aquired taste. The first time I heard it
> he was talking about Airplane pilots should be able to sue
> passengers for moving around the cabin of the plane and
> other things. My wife and I were driving to my families for
> Christmas and she was Livid! Then right before a commercial
> break he came out and said that the show was a farce and it
> was all in fun and yet people still called in and
> complained. If you listen he does tell you that the show
> is fake.
>

I use to listen to Hendrie on my way home at nights and it didn't take but a couple of listens to figure out the whole thing was a farce. But I never heard him come out and say so. Real callers calling in all the time pissed (with good reason, if it were real) about what was going on. I searched the web to try and find out what the deal was with the show, but I guess I wasn't spelling the name right.

-J.Banks-

> I first listened to Hendrie when he was on KPRC-950 a few
> years back. You wouldn't believe the number of calls he
> received from the Houston area (Spring and points north were
> the most common) incensed at whatever left-leaning "guest"
> he had on that night. They made for some of the most
> entertaining callers.
>
> I find it hilarious that people actually think the "guests"
> he puts on are for real.
>
> > Yes HEndrie is an aquired taste. The first time I heard
> it
> > he was talking about Airplane pilots should be able to sue
>
> > passengers for moving around the cabin of the plane and
> > other things. My wife and I were driving to my families
> for
> > Christmas and she was Livid! Then right before a
> commercial
> > break he came out and said that the show was a farce and
> it
> > was all in fun and yet people still called in and
> > complained. If you listen he does tell you that the show
>
> > is fake.
> >
>

I agree about the acquired taste and I agree about how entertaining not only his callers are but also his show in general is. Very clever programming and I'm glad he's back on.

> I first listened to Hendrie when he was on KPRC-950 a few
> years back. You wouldn't believe the number of calls he
> received from the Houston area (Spring and points north were
> the most common) incensed at whatever left-leaning "guest"
> he had on that night. They made for some of the most
> entertaining callers.
>
> I find it hilarious that people actually think the "guests"
> he puts on are for real.
>
> > Yes HEndrie is an aquired taste. The first time I heard
> it
> > he was talking about Airplane pilots should be able to sue
>
> > passengers for moving around the cabin of the plane and
> > other things. My wife and I were driving to my families
> for
> > Christmas and she was Livid! Then right before a
> commercial
> > break he came out and said that the show was a farce and
> it
> > was all in fun and yet people still called in and
> > complained. If you listen he does tell you that the show
>
> > is fake.
> >
>

The most interesting thing is that Hendrie does all of the other voices!
...and by the way, he usually recaps the whole setup and how well the show went just before the show ends..kind of a chat with the regular "clued in" members of the audience.

I noticed the KFNS readout on my RDS display but it was corrected a little after 5 pm this afternoon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom