• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFI's Bill Handel Discusses Past Health Problems

Bill Handel talked about his surgeries when dealing with a caller during "Handel on The Law," his syndicated weekend legal show. Handel is the wake up host on KFI 640, ranked #3 in the latest Los Angeles ratings. I'm sure his popular morning show contributes to those high numbers for an AM station.

Twelve years ago, he had to have his aorta replaced. He says he has always had a heart murmur, so one of his heart valves was also replaced. Then a couple of years ago, he had severe back problems. He says he needed immediate surgery, that he was unable to walk. While he was in the hospital, he caught an infection. That bug affected his aorta, requiring it to be replaced again, in addition to repairs on his back.

Handel's morning show last year was cut back to three hours a day, after being on from 6 to 10 a.m. Monday through Friday. And he has the syndicated legal show, which airs Saturdays from 8 to 11 a.m. Some weeks he does it live and sometimes he records an hour here and there after his morning show to assemble a three-hour program. That's quite a schedule for someone who is 72 and has had past medical problems.

Bill Handel talked about his surgeries when dealing with a caller during "Handel on The Law," his syndicated weekend legal show. Handel is the wake up host on KFI 640, ranked #3 in the latest Los Angeles ratings. I'm sure his popular morning show contributes to those high numbers for an AM station.

Twelve years ago, he had to have his aorta replaced. He says he has always had a heart murmur, so one of his heart valves was also replaced. Then a couple of years ago, he had severe back problems. He says he needed immediate surgery, that he was unable to walk. While he was in the hospital, he caught an infection. That bug affected his aorta, requiring it to be replaced again, in addition to repairs on his back.

Handel's morning show last year was cut back to three hours a day, after being on from 6 to 10 a.m. Monday through Friday. And he has the syndicated legal show, which airs Saturdays from 8 to 11 a.m. Some weeks he does it live and sometimes he records an hour here and there after his morning show to assemble a three-hour program. That's quite a schedule for someone who is 72 and has had past medical problems.
Oh no. I've had "past medical problems". Probably you too. Bill Handel, from what you write, is a train wreck who's lucky to still be alive, much less able to do 18 hours of radio a week. More power to him, but let's be honest about this, he's been to the doorstep of Hell.

Oh no. I've had "past medical problems". Probably you too. Bill Handel, from what you write, is a train wreck who's lucky to still be alive, much less able to do 18 hours of radio a week. More power to him, but let's be honest about this, he's been to the doorstep of Hell.
He's doing better than his brother Mark:

Also, the doorstep of Hell is 18 hours playing nothing but instrumental versions of standards.

He's doing better than his brother Mark:

Also, the doorstep of Hell is 18 hours playing nothing but instrumental versions of standards.
That item is from a year ago. Is mark in jail now? What is the status of this item now in feb 2024?

That item is from a year ago. Is mark in jail now? What is the status of this item now in feb 2024?

Bill's show is one I enjoy — knowing full well that one day it'll be gone.
True but you can say that about any show. Just ask Rick dees kiis. Kevin and Bean Kroq. Mark and Brian KLOS. And more recently John and Ken now just the John kobylt show on Kfi.

Nothing lasts forever 😢 But on the other hand with all the advancements in A.I. who knows???

I remember healy best as the kabc channel 7 television evening news sportscaster with i think baxter ward as news anchor in the early 1960s. Healy read the sports straight. When kabc created eyewitness news with bill bonds as news anchor, alan sloane as weatherman and stu nahan as sportscaster in around 1969, i recall healy then moved to radio sports where he doctored it up with drop ins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom