• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KEXP Buys KREV

I will in Vallejo on Friday. But Brother going to pick me up in Martinez

The last time in Martinez 92.7 was static on my Sangean DT-2000X

I will try now, There done with the testing phrase

My partial reception report from my car Pioneer App radio (non-HD): Good coverage throughout the mission and Soma, but start losing it on 80 between TI and the toll station. It returns a bit until hitting 580 and pretty much no signal around Grand Lake area. Once up in the Piedmont hills a bit it returns. It's also strong in Bernal Heights.

My partial reception report from my car Pioneer App radio (non-HD): Good coverage throughout the mission and Soma, but start losing it on 80 between TI and the toll station. It returns a bit until hitting 580 and pretty much no signal around Grand Lake area. Once up in the Piedmont hills a bit it returns. It's also strong in Bernal Heights.

Interestingly, most of the areas I receive KREV strongly turns choppy with HD fully disabled. I did suspect HD would help but it’s quite a difference for some reasons.

The Grand and Lake result is surprising.

Listening today in Pinole/Hercules...signal's ok. Not strong, but not weak. The selection they play is...interesting? One minute indie rock, the next, rap. The rappers sounded like they had a Jamaican accent. 🤷‍♂️

KEXP (and KEXC, of course) vary greatly based on their programming block. It’s a very nice thing about the station but there will be times that as a result I’m not listening as much due to it.
This is by design. There are definitely some DJs / shows that I’m not as into. The specialty shows that start at 7PM are very different than the ‘variety mix’ you get from 5am to 7pm. The variety mix is supposed to be a little more consistent but varies with the DJ. People definitely have strong opinions about the DJs.

Could that be what I experienced? The signal seemed very unstable.
It's possible. There's often some tropo around in the Bay Area on many days.

If you have access to topographic maps, you could see what the terrain profile looks like between your location and Sutro Tower to determine if there's a relatively clear path between those two points.

There are plenty of reception anomalies around the Bay Area. Here's one: I have a little no-name Chinese pocket radio with a DSP chip, and a cheap pair of SkullCandy corded earbuds. Using them while laying in bed (I'm located in the SF Peninsula hills), I can routinely pick up KXJZ, Cap Radio in Sacramento. That's about a hundred mile catch. Some days the reception is cleaner than others, but all it takes is for me to orient the headphone cord on my left leg. However, if I move that cord over to my right leg, KXJZ disappears, but KALW starts coming in cleanly, otherwise that station is a hot mess. That's a change of maybe 18 inches. Most mornings I can lay there and click between the presets of KQED, KXJZ and KALW and compare their HD delays as they simultaneously air Morning Edition.

There are plenty of reception anomalies around the Bay Area. Here's one: I have a little no-name Chinese pocket radio with a DSP chip, and a cheap pair of SkullCandy corded earbuds. Using them while laying in bed (I'm located in the SF Peninsula hills), I can routinely pick up KXJZ, Cap Radio in Sacramento. That's about a hundred mile catch. Some days the reception is cleaner than others, but all it takes is for me to orient the headphone cord on my left leg. However, if I move that cord over to my right leg, KXJZ disappears, but KALW starts coming in cleanly, otherwise that station is a hot mess. That's a change of maybe 18 inches. Most mornings I can lay there and click between the presets of KQED, KXJZ and KALW and compare their HD delays as they simultaneously air Morning Edition.
This is probably the first time that KALW has been to the right of anything. Also, KALW dropped HD several years ago.

Back
Top Bottom