• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kenwood KTC-HR100 Tuner

xmtrucker

Inactive
Inactive User
I just purchased and installed the tuner with my Kenwood head unit the other day and went for a drive to Memphis. I bought the tuner "cheap" ($145)on E-bay, therefore, I will not complain about being ripped off. Here are a few thoughts:

AM sounds great! WIBC sounded like FM during day. At night, the monster stations came to the front of the pack and were very listenable. No DX'ing with the tuner, but the quality was great.

FM sounded 100% better. More defination of the music. Very pleased with this, also.

However, I talked to Kenwood, (here is the downside), I cannot get the HD-2 and HD-3 channels. I knew something was up =)!

My questions are: On AM, is there no displays given at night,or do you have to be next to the transmitter. I listened to the Chicago stations, Atlanta (WSB), Dallas (WBAP) and no info at all, even though they were booming, with no interference. However daytime, WIBC and WNDE displays were shown.

All in all, 3 stars (out of 4) for HD.

> I just purchased and installed the tuner with my Kenwood
> head unit the other day and went for a drive to Memphis. I
> bought the tuner "cheap" ($145)on E-bay, therefore, I will
> not complain about being ripped off. Here are a few
> thoughts:
>
> AM sounds great! WIBC sounded like FM during day. At night,
> the monster stations came to the front of the pack and were
> very listenable. No DX'ing with the tuner, but the quality
> was great.
>
> FM sounded 100% better. More defination of the music. Very
> pleased with this, also.
>
> However, I talked to Kenwood, (here is the downside), I
> cannot get the HD-2 and HD-3 channels. I knew something was
> up =)!
>
> My questions are: On AM, is there no displays given at
> night,or do you have to be next to the transmitter. I
> listened to the Chicago stations, Atlanta (WSB), Dallas
> (WBAP) and no info at all, even though they were booming,
> with no interference. However daytime, WIBC and WNDE
> displays were shown.
>
> All in all, 3 stars (out of 4) for HD.
>

Huh...I though you could have the HR100 upgraded at the factory. Did they mention that? IIRC there is a fee, but it can be done...<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

> Huh...I though you could have the HR100 upgraded at the
> factory. Did they mention that? IIRC there is a fee, but
> it can be done...

Kenwood's tech did not mention any upgrades. Since I bought it from a 3rd party, I guess my options are few.

> > Huh...I though you could have the HR100 upgraded at the
> > factory. Did they mention that? IIRC there is a fee, but
>
> > it can be done...
>
> Kenwood's tech did not mention any upgrades. Since I bought
> it from a 3rd party, I guess my options are few.
>

Looks like they did it for a limited time...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yHOIKn8WCna/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=186650&id=detailed_info&i=113KTCHR10

Strange that they don't just do this as a service item.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

> My questions are: On AM, is there no displays given at
> night,or do you have to be next to the transmitter. I
> listened to the Chicago stations, Atlanta (WSB), Dallas
> (WBAP) and no info at all, even though they were booming,
> with no interference. However daytime, WIBC and WNDE
> displays were shown.

AM stations are not (yet) allowed to run HD at night, so there was no data being broadcast to run the display.

(IOW, the nighttime AM reception you comment on was analog)

> Huh...I though you could have the HR100 upgraded at the
> factory. Did they mention that? IIRC there is a fee, but
> it can be done...

Kenwood loaned me a tuner with multicast capability. Your AM problem may be that the tuner isn't grounded directly to the car's body. Kenwood warned me AM reception might be spotty without it. I had great reception with the unit in analog. I almost moved away and didn't return it. I was able to receive WBZ-HD about 125 miles away in selected areas. Without the IBUZ radio I can only hear WBZ wipe out KDKA until 6pm.

You might have bought a first generation unit without multicast capability. The problems I experienced were not the fault of the radio. They were inherent in the current hybrid system on the transmitting side. Remember, the IBUZ signal is 1% of the analog signal.

The best local signal in my market is 11Kw analog and 110 watts digital.

Rich

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom