• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kd-94.1

104.9 carried Magic 96 out of Birmingham in the mid to late 80's. Used to listen to their midnight 10 in a row oldies show all the time. In 1989, 107.1 carried 94.1 out of Union Springs, that station went off the air one night and Montgomery got to hear the switch from 94-Q to Star 94 in Atlanta. I have it on tape somewhere.

104.9 carried Magic 96 out of Birmingham in the mid to late 80's. Used to listen to their midnight 10 in a row oldies show all the time. In 1989, 107.1 carried 94.1 out of Union Springs, that station went off the air one night and Montgomery got to hear the switch from 94-Q to Star 94 in Atlanta. I have it on tape somewhere.

That's so cool! When I lived in central Mississippi, I used to hear WJOX every morning on a translator in Calhoun County that was supposed to be relaying WCMR, which was always off the air. It was a nice little taste of home. Eventually the translator's tuner drifted and it was picking up the Supertall Mississippi station in Corinth.

Speaking of WZKD, heard them again today. They were playing a mix of R&B, Southern Soul and Classic Hip-Hop tunes. Darryl E is now on there. Wish him all the best.

Dan <><

Last edited:
Well I can now add another Montgomery translator, that has a great signal here in Selma. The Big KD 94.1 is it. Their signal was amazing, last night, when I checked them out. Even saw the WZKD calls on the RDS feature, our radio has. This was a great catch, Mr. Zach and anyone else reading.

Dan <><

P.S. I see this radio station stealing some thunder from Magic 97.1 FM. Mr. Roscoe is the man. He's a stroke of sheer genius. You go sir!

Last edited:
You go Mr. Seedless.

I believe you got that one correct sir.

Dan <><

P.S. When WKXN/WKXK is doing the rap thing, KD is doing the Adult Urban thing. The three stations simulcast each other when the Southern Soul and Blues songs are played. That's the way things are now.

Last night I tuned into 96.7 not initially believing what I heard: A new-ish Pat Garrett-voiced drop announcing *all* of the Roscoe Miller frequencies as "The Big KD". I nearly spilled the Coke I ordered from the McDonald's drive-thru. Did I hear wrong?

So this afternoon, I decided to listen online via the link at BigStation.FM, a URL still reflective of a 'Big Station' identity they don't use anymore. Around noon/lunchtime was some old lady on a long spiel about crime and having trouble taking phone calls. I chose not to stick around for that show, but tried again a few minutes ago at the 3:00 hour. Another new-to-me Pat Garrett drop with most of the following: "From Mobile to Montgomery, from Montgomery to Meridian, MS--95-7, 96-7, and 94-1...THE BIG K-D". And then "T-Shirt" by Migos.

:confused: ...I think I'm done trying to figure this guy's operation out. None of it will ever make sense to me, lol.

Last edited:
WYYX 97.7 Panama City's first ID at 100kw was along the lines of Pensacola-Tallahassee-Montgomery and a whole lotta fish.

Mobile, huh? Meridian, huh? Yeah, keep dreaming. That's some wildly optimistic estimating he's doing. I don't think his Greenville station even makes it reliably to Evergreen, and that's still over an hour from Mob-town.

Maybe KD has a 4th signal in the works? 94.5 Jackson would fill out that coverage area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom