• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCPQ Reporter Steve Kiggins Says Station Declined to Renew His Contract

Another stalwart local is a victim of budget cuts. As a viewer, although not of KCPQ, the revolving door of anchors and reporters affects connection with the audience. I barely recognize any of the reporters on KING. Then, for whatever reason, we are offered the Texas contingent—some of which aren’t that super great. We get that instead of Mark Wright and Steve Bunin? Some of these Texas folk still use their Twitter accounts to share what’s going on in Texas, so how committed are they to this market?

Another stalwart local is a victim of budget cuts. As a viewer, although not of KCPQ, the revolving door of anchors and reporters affects connection with the audience. I barely recognize any of the reporters on KING. Then, for whatever reason, we are offered the Texas contingent—some of which aren’t that super great. We get that instead of Mark Wright and Steve Bunin? Some of these Texas folk still use their Twitter accounts to share what’s going on in Texas, so how committed are they to this market?
What are you, the sole member of the Steve Bunin Fan Club? With all due respect; it almost borders on a creepy infatuation...
"Affecting a connection with the audience" isn't a thing for typical viewers. Some reporters are recognizable within their beat and test well accordingly, but that's about it.

Last edited:
What are you, the sole member of the Steve Bunin Fan Club? With all due respect; it almost borders on a creepy infatuation...
"Affecting a connection with the audience" isn't a thing for typical viewers. Some reporters are recognizable within their beat and test well accordingly, but that's about it.
That wasn’t a very kind response. I’m not infatuated with him nor do I mean to convey creepiness. My apologies. Your second paragraph was helpful. Have a nice day!

Dude, you started an entire thread that way: https://www.radiodiscussions.com/threads/king-is-way-underutilizing-steve-bunin.748458/
Then continued to bemoan how Steve isn't being given a fair shot in this thread. I mean come on, this is almost 2023. If Steve turns your crank, (as Seinfeld once said) 'not that there's anything wrong with that'.
I just think there should be room for discourse and opinion without put-downs. There are others I feel the same way about. Greg Copeland, being another, who has been MIA, for the most part, during the 4 pm. I just think those with stronger ties to our region are disappearing. Speaking as one viewer, I prefer getting news from folks with strong ties to our region. I realize I am just one viewer and am absolutely not a media expert, but was hoping this could be a respectful forum to share and learn.

I just think there should be room for discourse and opinion without put-downs. There are others I feel the same way about. Greg Copeland, being another, who has been MIA, for the most part, during the 4 pm. I just think those with stronger ties to our region are disappearing. Speaking as one viewer, I prefer getting news from folks with strong ties to our region. I realize I am just one viewer and am absolutely not a media expert, but was hoping this could be a respectful forum to share and learn.
Greg & Steve Soliz swapped schedules somewhat. Steve does 4, 5, 7 & 9 pm while Greg does 630, 10 & 11 pm.

The other thing to consider is that not everyone you see on TV is from the area they broadcast in. That is true for EVERY TV market. Without being born and raised in the community, the only way people can join a community is to move their lives to it. I understand your desire to get news from people with strong ties to the region, but who’s to say these new people aren’t putting down roots with a desire to remain in the region long term?

Also, as the TV news industry continues to evolve, don’t be surprised as more and more familiar faces leave your TV sets because they want more money and less stress OR because they aren’t what a company wants on their air.

Personally, I liked Kiggins. Very non-traditional in delivery but it worked for me, as a viewer.

He was an interesting hire because he was a MMJ with a photojournalist background, as opposed to a MMJ with an on camera reporter background. KCPQ spent many years hiring experienced journalists into roles that didn't match their background and was mostly successful. The new ownership is unwinding that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom