• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KBSZ is sold

$850,000 is a surprisingly high amount. Guess the South Mountain translator move really increased the value.

Main problem is that the 1TV FM translators have terrible bitrates on their incoming feeds and sound positively awful.

What would nicely complement the coverage of AM 1260 and it's translator, is a a purchase of 1280/96.1 KXEG, to provide coverage of Phoenix and the West Valley. Just a thought....

How does this in any way serve Payson? Yeah, I guess it's a Part 74 loophole, but just wrong

translators dont have a city of license coverage requirement and was probably moved from Payson

All it takes is one sucker to overpay.
If we go back to the FCC financial reports of the 50's and 60's we find that there has never been a decade when, on average, half of all US stations did not make a profit.

Most of the reasons for that have not changed... they just got worse.

Yet there is always a genius who thought they had the magic formula to make a 6 tower directional on 1600 (or its equivalent) the profitable talk of the town. They wanted a station so badly, they bought bad stations.

Today, most of those buyers seem to be gone. But they have been replaced by religious groups and folks who program in Farsi and Armenian instead... despite a wealth of content on the web for Persians and Armenians (to use two examples).

If we go back to the FCC financial reports of the 50's and 60's we find that there has never been a decade when, on average, half of all US stations did not make a profit.

Most of the reasons for that have not changed... they just got worse.

Yet there is always a genius who thought they had the magic formula to make a 6 tower directional on 1600 (or its equivalent) the profitable talk of the town. They wanted a station so badly, they bought bad stations.

Today, most of those buyers seem to be gone. But they have been replaced by religious groups and folks who program in Farsi and Armenian instead... despite a wealth of content on the web for Persians and Armenians (to use two examples).

Phoenix is one of the largest markets in the nation, maybe the largest (certainly by city size!), without a radio station primarily broadcasting specialty ethnic programming. It looks like a more and more glaring gap given our population growth and things like TSMC and its suppliers coming to town.

I don't think that's going to be Tucker's path. He is Black, and I am wondering if the eventual format (once he decides not to air The Rattler) might be in that vein. (There has not been a Black-owned commercial station in metro Phoenix since KMJK was sold 20 years ago, if I recall correctly; the Desert Soul/Radio Phoenix group only recently came in to try and fill that void on the noncom side.) If nothing else, he has a lot of South Phoenix and the city center plus Tempe/Ahwatukee/west Chandler on the other side of the contour.

Also agreed on KXEG. He'd miss the Northeast Valley but gain a good amount of Northwest Valley coverage.

Phoenix is one of the largest markets in the nation, maybe the largest (certainly by city size!), without a radio station primarily broadcasting specialty ethnic programming. It looks like a more and more glaring gap given our population growth and things like TSMC and its suppliers coming to town.
The Phoenix MSA (Nielsen MSA, not Census MSA) is now over a third Hispanic. Neither African Americans nor all Asians combined are over 6% in each group.

There are rhythmic stations that do cover the Black audience to some extent, but the rhythmic ones are primarily Hispanic targeted as is logical.

There are more Asian languages and nations and music forms than I can count. So one in Hindi will not appeal to a Pinor or a Korean or...

And, just like my eternal windmill to attack, the issue of people of a particular nation or language don't all like the same music or content. The issue is "which Asian language and format might be 'big' enough to generate advertiser interest and support.

If we look at the Bay Area, a good start is a Bollywood format. It can also be done mostly in English, too. What else seems logical for one of those AMs & Translator operations in the Valley of the Burning Hot Sun?

Last edited:
Hopefully they'll continue the nationally- syndicated programming on weekends, specifically House of Hair and Eddie Trunk Rocks. Overall, it's a decent "alternative" to the predictable KSLX. :unsure:

Last edited:
It was moved from Payson to Usery Mountain in NE Mesa several years ago. I didn't know it had moved again.
Either it already has, or the move is in process. I don't hear anything on 97.3 in NE Mesa now.

The Phoenix MSA (Nielsen MSA, not Census MSA) is now over a third Hispanic. Neither African Americans nor all Asians combined are over 6%.

There are rhythmic stations that do cover the Black audience to some extent, but the rhythmic ones are primarily Hispanic targeted as is logical.

There are more Asian languages and nations and music forms than I can count. So one in Hindi will not appeal to a Pinor or a Korean or...

And, just like my eternal windmill to attack, the issue of people of a particular nation or language don't all like the same music or content. The issue is "which Asian language and format might be 'big' enough to generate advertiser interest and support.

If we look at the Bay Area, a good start is a Bollywood format. It can also be done mostly in English, too. What else seems logical for one of those AMs & Translator operations in the Valley of the Burning Hot Sun?
Back in the day of KMJK, the African American population of the Valley was around 2%.
I don't think it has changed much.

In Houston there are a couple of Bollywood formats on either AM/Translator or HD2/Translator combos. Not rated, but they make enough money to sustain themselves. It helps that the community's population is centered in the part of the metro where the translators are located, so 250 watts is enough. (and those operations aren't the ones known for allegedly juicing their output power or the translator fed by the "HD2" of a station that doesn't run HD, but I digress)

It's harder to pull off a niche format on a small stick when the population is scattered throughout an enormous metro.

In Houston there are a couple of Bollywood formats on either AM/Translator or HD2/Translator combos. Not rated, but they make enough money to sustain themselves. It helps that the community's population is centered in the part of the metro where the translators are located, so 250 watts is enough.
Houston has four South Asian dormats on FM translators. You are absolutely correct that the signals are located in the midst of the target population, so excellent, relevant reach. Some of the programmers had bounced around some brokered AMs with deficient signals before landing on FM.

Either it already has, or the move is in process. I don't hear anything on 97.3 in NE Mesa now.
They're back on today, with a clear signal and The Rattler classic rock format inside my stucco-encrusted NE Mesa abode. Sounds like they haven't moved to South Mountain yet. If they had, they'd be barely audible indoors, if at all.

As black native Arizonan, yes the black population is smaller than most cities, but I pressume the black population in Phoenix has probably trippled since the KMJK days. Also, the owner of WOOK bought as an LP which are mostly community supported radio station. We'll see if they survive!

Here's another CP for 97.3 FM, set to expire in September. This would be a move into Globe. So did John Low purchase this CP so it wouldn't be built, and allow plans to go forward for a translator instead? Also note, the format is Classic Rock as "The Rattler", and owned by Cochise Broadcasting. I am definitely a bit confused..

Back
Top Bottom