• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KBLA-AM sale never consummated

Byron " I am going to sue you because you don't advertise to blacks" Allen?
Correction: Byron Allen said he was suing or threatening to sue companies who didn't spend a certain percentage to advertise on black OWNED media. He said nothing about the ethnicity of the viewers or listeners of those stations. In simplest terms, Byron Allen was simply looking to enrich Byron Allen, as he just happened to be the black owner he was often alluding to in his frivious suits. McDonald's could advertise on The Weather Channel and that would've fully satisfied Allen's terms, as TWC is "black owned media". I think people would have looked at this whole thing differently and respected him more if he'd mentioned reaching minority audiences or spending $$ to reach inner city populations or the like. As it is, all 9 justices of the US Supreme Court unanimously ruled against him..An institution that rarely unanimously agrees on much of anything.

Just heard the talk host on KBLA refer to the station as "Voted the most credible, accurate news talk station in the region".. forget her exact wording

so lets assume, not including sales people or himself, hes got 5 full time employees and pays them a modest wage for LA.. im just guessing here.. $75,000
That would be per year, not per month. I don't think even the highest paid manager in LA makes $900,000 a year.
He pays himself double
$150,000 a year then.
He has a few sales people
Who have a salary and draw and expenses. And they get a big cut of anything sold. If you sell $1,000,000 in a year, the first $250,000, give or take, goes as sales expense. For example, agency accounts take 15% and the seller likely gets around 5% and other sales expenses like base salary, FICA, gas allowance and insurance are at least another 5%.

Then add in someone for traffic (commercial logs, not honk-honk traffic), accounting, production, chief engineer, operations manager / program director.
utilities, internet, music licensing, website stuff, rent for office space, lease hes paying MRBI till the sale closes or hes tossed out
Insurance (liability is expensive for a talk format) including fire, theft and others, usage licenses, legal, phones (land and cellular), engineering salaries, engineering & technical parts and supplies, consulting engineer, FCC expenses & license fees, Communications attorney, business' share of Social Security, health insurance for staff, dues (NAB, RAB, SCBA, etc), subscriptions, office supplies, computers and software licenses, gasoline and travel allowances, conventions and meetings, janitorial and trash removal, postage/shipping/delivery costs, auditing at year end, production library, outside voiceovers and production, agency commissions, etc., etc.
Thats $750,000 a month minimum its costing him... unless some of the hosts are contractors and they get to sel lads and keep a higher percentage
Actually, it is not that much as you are projecting monthly salaries that are actually annual ones.
either way, i dont see him getting out of this for less then $500,000 a month
Outside of the lease to the station owner, I'll bet it costs less than $250,000 a month. My guess, again not including the lease, would be in the $175,000 to $200,000 a month range.

That would be per year, not per month. I don't think even the highest paid manager in LA makes $900,000 a year.

$150,000 a year then.

Who have a salary and draw and expenses. And they get a big cut of anything sold. If you sell $1,000,000 in a year, the first $250,000, give or take, goes as sales expense. For example, agency accounts take 15% and the seller likely gets around 5% and other sales expenses like base salary, FICA, gas allowance and insurance are at least another 5%.

Then add in someone for traffic (commercial logs, not honk-honk traffic), accounting, production, chief engineer, operations manager / program director.

Insurance (liability is expensive for a talk format) including fire, theft and others, usage licenses, legal, phones (land and cellular), engineering salaries, engineering & technical parts and supplies, consulting engineer, FCC expenses & license fees, Communications attorney, business' share of Social Security, health insurance for staff, dues (NAB, RAB, SCBA, etc), subscriptions, office supplies, computers and software licenses, gasoline and travel allowances, conventions and meetings, janitorial and trash removal, postage/shipping/delivery costs, auditing at year end, production library, outside voiceovers and production, agency commissions, etc., etc.

Actually, it is not that much as you are projecting monthly salaries that are actually annual ones.

Outside of the lease to the station owner, I'll bet it costs less than $250,000 a month. My guess, again not including the lease, would be in the $175,000 to $200,000 a month range.

I never said math was my strong point.

I'd bet alot of the hosts are being paid by their ego.. IE: come host a show for free.. especially the weekend stuff.

Not if KBLA is airing commercials.

From the link in Post #40:

Simply put, we need your help. We ask that you consider making a donation to help us transform the political, social and economic topography by giving everyday people a voice, 24/7. We have partnered with 7th Generation Advisors to establish a Donor Advised Fund so that your donation to our work and witness will be tax-deductible.

I'm not a tax attorney, so don't ask me how this works. But he seems to have a way.

I am not one either but either there are some other unknown arrangements or it is a little fishy. Donor Advised Funds generally cam only donate to 501c3 organizations.

read the link, youre donating to Friends of KBLa, which is a non profit.

Not if KBLA is airing commercials.
There is a difference between a "non-commercial" station as authorized by the FCC and a commercial station that is operated as a "non-profit" under tax laws. If a station runs as a non-profit, it can sell ads, but any profits can not be given to "owners" but instead all monies stay in the operation to keep it running, or to improve or expand it.

For example, a non-profit theater group can charge for tickets, but it can't split up any excess over costs and give it to the organizers.

Long running formats that appealed to small niches, such as classical, jazz, and now country.

Saul started the FM in 1959, when very few people owned radios that could receive it. Because FM was still a patented technology, the big electronics companies such as RCA didn't include it in their devices. It required an external antenna, so few portables included it. Saul was an FM dreamer.
My parents had a 1950s GE FM only radio that I used as a child in the early to mid 60s

ive long wondered if Tavis case of trying to buy and operate KBLA is akin to Jack Narz back when he got blackbaleld after the $64,000 question... he bought a radio station to prove he was fit to work again.. maybe tavis is using this as leverage in the future after who was it.. NPR axed him.. so when he goes to a future employer... he can show he was fit enough to be a licensee, so they shoudl hire him?
Jack Barry, not Jack Narz. Barry was implicated along with show producer Dan Enright in the $64,000 Question scandal. Barry later bought the radio station (93.5, now KDAY) to rehabilitate his reputation, then re-emerged as a partner in Barry-Enright Productions which produced syndicated game shows in the 1980s like The Joker's Wild (which Barry hosted until his death), Tic-Tac-Dough and others.

Jack Narz had a long unblemished history in TV, including hosting Concentration for several years in syndication. He was the older brother of game show host Tom Kennedy and a brother-in-law to Bill Cullen.

Last edited:
It's a little bit easier to come up with $6.9 million than $7.15, but not much.

I wonder if anyone has shared with Tavis that story that some carmakers intend on eliminating AM from car radios in the near future? Ahh, probably doesn't matter.

It's a little bit easier to come up with $6.9 million than $7.15, but not much.

I wonder if anyone has shared with Tavis that story that some carmakers intend on eliminating AM from car radios in the near future? Ahh, probably doesn't matter.
Still looks way overvalued to me, let's see if it actually closes this time.

Still looks way overvalued to me, let's see if it actually closes this time.
One thing I have not looked at... who owns the transmitter site? The towers are sub-let to two other local AM stations, so they produce income.

(It's a lousy transmitter site, up on a small rock hill to the northeast of downtown).

Back
Top Bottom