• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KBCW has requested new call letters of KPYX

Tip of the hat to poster “Mark Roberts” who suggested this back on May 6 in post #48 of the “CBS owned CA affiliates to drop CW affiliation and go independent” thread on the National TV board:

KPYX appears to be available if the need is felt to change KBCW calls.

I doubt the branding would be "CBS Bay Area Plus" given that KTVU already refers to KICU as "KTVU Plus".

Tip of the hat to poster “Mark Roberts” who suggested this back on May 6 in post #48 of the “CBS owned CA affiliates to drop CW affiliation and go independent” thread on the National TV board:
(takes a bow)

I really have to quit joking about things because those jokes have a tendency to come true!

By the way, that's my real name. Not an air name, not a pseudonym.

(takes a bow)

I really have to quit joking about things because those jokes have a tendency to come true!

By the way, that's my real name. Not an air name, not a pseudonym.
True I was thinking about the branding of the soon to be former CW affiliate owned by Paramount specifically would have to be extensions of the Main CBS affiliate like in San Francisco and Sacramento. But I was stumped with how Paramount would brand KSTW, WTOG and WUPA specifically given that they cannot connect to the main CBS affiliate.

Here is the document showing Paramount applying for new call letters.

They’ll probably do what Fox did with KTVU-KICU, fully rename KPIX as “CBS Bay Area” and KPYX becomes “KPIX+”.

I remember when this was floated around it was initially a strange statement about KTLA losing their CW affiliation and it didn't sound right given Nexstar is the majority owner of CW. Later we found out that Paramount owned stations would really lose their CW affiliations given that they pre-empted LIV Golf due to contract reasons about CBS Sports contract with PGA.

Turns out that the KBCW call letters is also used for a Classical music station in Oklahoma owned by University of Central Oklahoma. That station is on 91.9 FM in McAlester, Oklahoma. It also turns out that KBCW has been used in Oklahoma since 2000 way before Paramount even considered CW Network. It's not just that Paramount has to remove those call letters because of Nexstar but also this one.

Its reach extends to the communities of Edmond and all of central Oklahoma, while also connecting with listeners across the state through repeater stations in McAlester (KBCW 91.9 FM) and Woodward (KCSC 95.9 FM). Serving as Oklahoma’s Voice for Performing Arts, Classical KUCO informs audiences about community events, showcases talented local artists, and presents complete musical works rarely found elsewhere on the airwaves or online.

To bad they didn't go back to KBHK. Like channel 20 did when WB went away - they went back to KOFY.

They could have gone back further, to the 1980-86 period as KTZO, when Jim Gabbert decided "ZO" looked like "20" ... just as he had done with "IOI" and "IQI" for his "K-101" radio stations previously ...

I will not seriously suggest that they go back farther to the previous KEMO incarnation, since that is part of the sad history of the Overmyer Network (I still find it curious that channel 50 adopted those calls in 2011, concurrent with their former MeTV affiliation ... perhaps they were trying for the same feel that Gabbert had in programming "TV 20"?).

I will not seriously suggest that they go back farther to the previous KEMO incarnation, since that is part of the sad history of the Overmyer Network (I still find it curious that channel 50 adopted those calls in 2011, concurrent with their former MeTV affiliation ... perhaps they were trying for the same feel that Gabbert had in programming "TV 20"?).
Daniel H. Overmyer is, without a doubt, one of the most unique people I've researched. I redid the Wikipedia articles on him, the Overmyer/United Network and The Las Vegas Show (plus @Sammi Brie and I jointly redid WNWO-TV) and it all just fascinates me how much of a fiasco it all was.

Daniel H. Overmyer is, without a doubt, one of the most unique people I've researched. I redid the Wikipedia articles on him, the Overmyer/United Network and The Las Vegas Show (plus @Sammi Brie and I jointly redid WNWO-TV) and it all just fascinates me how much of a fiasco it all was.

I noted that you and I had many shared sources, Nathan.

The only thing that I regret is that Overmyer apparently spent his final years in a managed care facility only a few miles from my residence and passed away while I was in the process of working on my article. Had I known, I would have moved heaven and earth to get an interview with him.

Back
Top Bottom