• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kansas City radio station broadcasts pro-Putin propaganda

So, if you don't like the content of what a station airs they should sell the station? That's crazy talk. I would bet you haven't ever heard the program. Be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: drt
An article on CNN.com describes in detail the type of news coverage that you would expect to hear on Russian-state media outlets like RT and Sputnik. The writer of the article listened to several hours of pro-Putin propaganda so you won't have to.

RT America, which shut down a few days ago.. had a video on their FB page about the russia/ukraine situation and the title of the video? "Media misinformaiton"

I couldnt keep myself from laughing

Here's an article from RadioInk addressing the idea of dropping paid Radio Sputnik programming:

My view is just because a radio station airs such programming doesn't mean anyone listens. Freedom of speech says you're entitled to an opinion, not that anyone is required to pay attention. And yes, there are consequences to unpopular speech.

Here's an article from RadioInk addressing the idea of dropping paid Radio Sputnik programming:

My view is just because a radio station airs such programming doesn't mean anyone listens. Freedom of speech says you're entitled to an opinion, not that anyone is required to pay attention. And yes, there are consequences to unpopular speech.

I support freedom of speech 100 percent.. take theirs away, you take mine away too.... but when one country is unfairly at war with another... i begin to about draw the line there.. but at the same time.. whos listening to sputnik on KC on KCXL?

its not about listenership numbers for Sputnik or China's CRI.. its just the fact their message is "Getting out there"

As I managed a station that carried CRI (the English American produced programming), I never came across anyone who ever listened to it, even by accident in the years it aired. If I had to guess, maybe the audience was in the 2 digit range, possibly the very low 3 digits in number of listeners, not share. Such programming only gets publicity and attention from those that oppose it. And I know that those opposed it never listened to the likes of Bob Kingsley doing his countdown or all the talk about the Kardashians and the sports talk about football, basketball and baseball hosted by Los Angeles air talent. My goodness it was so terrible those that never listened would sometimes call me to threaten me with harm. And maybe the BBC shouldn't be allowed on American airwaves simply because they were the consultant for CRI.

By the way, China's message was 'see we're just like you, so give us a favorable trade deal'. China leased stations in about 60 nations at that time.

It is my understanding Sputnik is a different animal altogether. I do understand selling time to a group you'd rather not have on your station but when it means making payroll or paying the monthly expenses, sometimes you have to set your preferences aside and take the money. Usually they don't stick around long and you always write in an easy out on your agreement.

I consider myself a strong First Amendment person, and I can't imagine any US court issuing an opinion that the First Amendment allows a foreign government to use the public airwaves to spread its propaganda. Granted, the courts have surprised me before, but that would seem like an easy call.

Having said that, I don't think fighting a battle over getting Radio Sputnik off two stations no one listens to is worth the effort. If Radio Sputnik ever signs a deal with Cumulus or iHeart, we can worry about that issue then. I'm more concerned with people like Tucker Carlson spreading pro-Russian misinformation (as well as anti-vaccine information that has gotten people killed). That speech, however, is most likely protected. So, unless cable companies decide to pull the plug on Fox News, we'll have to find some other way to counter that speech.

Reactions: drt
KCXL does air Christmas music on Sunday nights. Off topic, but you have to fill your schedule somehow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom