• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KAHM questions

Not sure if this belongs in the AZ board or Phoenix, but I figured I would post it here since it seems (partially) relevant to Phoenix.

Regarding KAHM in Prescott, two questions:

1. Wikipedia is reporting that KAHM has moved to its new transmitter location and is broadcasting at 26 kw @ 2720 feet. I'm guessing this is the facilities that would put a 60 dBu signal over the northern suburbs of Phoenix? This IS coming from wikipedia, however, so who knows if it's accurate, lol. There is no info at least from I found at FCCdata.org that a license to cover was ever filed for such a move. Anyone know if this move has already taken place?

2. On another board, someone mentioned that KAHM broadcast in digital with a couple of HD channels. I have never heard of this previously and assumed KAHM was analog-only. There is no info anywhere I could find at the various sites (FCCdata.org, Radio-Locator, Wikipedia, or even at the FCC website) that supports the fact that KAHM is a hybrid operation and broadcasts in HD. Neither can I find any info notating such when doing a google search for KAHM HD1, KAHM HD2. Does KAHM broadcast in HD?

I think they technically made the COL move to Spring Valley, but the signal still emanates from Mingus Mountain northeast of Prescott. Radios cannot lock to the signal in the Phoenix area. And, there is no HD signal either (no station broadcasting from the Bradshaw Mountains runs HD at this time).

Not sure if this belongs in the AZ board or Phoenix, but I figured I would post it here since it seems (partially) relevant to Phoenix.

Regarding KAHM in Prescott, two questions:

1. Wikipedia is reporting that KAHM has moved to its new transmitter location and is broadcasting at 26 kw @ 2720 feet. I'm guessing this is the facilities that would put a 60 dBu signal over the northern suburbs of Phoenix? This IS coming from wikipedia, however, so who knows if it's accurate, lol. There is no info at least from I found at FCCdata.org that a license to cover was ever filed for such a move. Anyone know if this move has already taken place?

2. On another board, someone mentioned that KAHM broadcast in digital with a couple of HD channels. I have never heard of this previously and assumed KAHM was analog-only. There is no info anywhere I could find at the various sites (FCCdata.org, Radio-Locator, Wikipedia, or even at the FCC website) that supports the fact that KAHM is a hybrid operation and broadcasts in HD. Neither can I find any info notating such when doing a google search for KAHM HD1, KAHM HD2. Does KAHM broadcast in HD?
Wikipedia is not a news source. There is nothing for them to "report". They also attribute radio-locator, which is not an accurate reference.

There has been NO license to cover filed for their CP with the FCC. Nor is there a digital notification.

Wikipedia is not a news source. There is nothing for them to "report". They also attribute radio-locator, which is not an accurate reference.

I'm well aware that wikipedia is not a news source so I use that word "report" loosely. Thanks...

The Chavez Foundation (KNAI-AM) owns KAHM and KYCA in Press-Kit. They granted an LMA to Prescott Broadcasting for a period of five years, which expired in January 2023. The agreement calls for an additional five year LMA if Prescott Broadcasting was not in default. They weren't.

The change of COL to Spring Valley was necessary to move the stick to Towers Mtn, and become another Valley rimshot. Nurse Jeff and I wonder if the Chavez Foundation has had a change of heart in making the move. At best 102~One would supplement KNAI's two translators at 101~Nine, but would still be subject to the limitations of a rimshot signal. And why would they want to spend the money on HD as a rimshot?

We have no clue what the lease rate is for KAHM & KYCA, but it must be enough to keep the Chavez Foundation happy for the next five years.

Back
Top Bottom