• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K104 morning show

bucwhyl said:
Well it seem like one of my predictions already came true. Buck Wilde is history. They've even taken him off the website. As I figured, his ratings suuuucked!!!... I say let Bay-Bay do mornings. Thoughts?....
buc, you can't have an afternoon or night jock do a morning show!! Just won't work. You'll end up with another buck wilde situation, ratings drop for K104. Not to mention the chemistry he'd have with the two women in control.

Monty said:
bucwhyl said:
Well it seem like one of my predictions already came true. Buck Wilde is history. They've even taken him off the website. As I figured, his ratings suuuucked!!!... I say let Bay-Bay do mornings. Thoughts?....
buc, you can't have an afternoon or night jock do a morning show!! Just won't work. You'll end up with another buck wilde situation, ratings drop for K104. Not to mention the chemistry he'd have with the two women in control.

Well who do you suggest?

bucwhyl said:
Monty said:
bucwhyl said:

Well who do you suggest?
Buc, I've been in Hip Hop and R & B radio for over 15 years, east and west coast. I've not seen shows disappear like they do when Skip Murphy & Co. are their competition. From what I understand, they are prepped and ready to go. With the proper roll out, not anything large because they have such a massive following the metroplex will be all over it fast, they'll be back to #1 within a book. Keep Bay-Bay, just not your morning show man.

Monty said:
bucwhyl said:
Monty said:
bucwhyl said:

Well who do you suggest?
Buc, I've been in Hip Hop and R & B radio for over 15 years, east and west coast. I've not seen shows disappear like they do when Skip Murphy & Co. are their competition. From what I understand, they are prepped and ready to go. With the proper roll out, not anything large because they have such a massive following the metroplex will be all over it fast, they'll be back to #1 within a book. Keep Bay-Bay, just not your morning show man.
Wish I had them to sell!

Monty said:
bucwhyl said:
Monty said:
bucwhyl said:

Well who do you suggest?

I just don't see that happening, but hey, anything is possible....

salemjedi54 said:
Monty said:
tailgater said:
In the interest of karma, I hate for anyone to lose their job. But personally, I am glad this move happened. It was a bad fit from jump. Buck Wilde didn't fit the personality of Dallas, didn't fit K104, and wasn't funny.

I still say bring back Skip Cheatam.
I think you mean Skip Murphy & Company!!!! The Metroplex has not had numbers nor been the same since Murphy, Sam Putney, Nanette Lee, "The Wig" and Chris Arnold!!!!!
Hey, what's up with the comedians (non-radio people) waking us up in the AM.. I'd like to hear a real show. This isn't working. Ratings will continue to fall until Service gives us a show. 106.1 is looking really good to me!!!

If you bring them back...and thats a BIG IF, they should go on KRNB. I bet they would help out KRNB overall. Or if local radio one mamangement had the nuts, hire them for 94.5. But we know that will never happen.

tailgater said:
Who was the guy on K104 this morning? All I heard was Rudy. He was pretty funny.

It was probably Rudy Rush. I know he works with DeDe on the Doug Banks Show.

Love him or hate him ---- KEN DOWE put the chemistry to work at K-104! Think Hyman has to many "you go dude" boosters on his payroll. Nobody wants to stand up and tell him what needs to be done to bring this station back to it's logical position in the market. Telling the boss he is full of @(($&^&!@ is normally not the way to have longevity in a position. This statiion has bounced around like a rubber ball since Ken shut the door behind him and it may continue to sink like an anchor if something isn't done soon. Playing musical jocks and putting unproven talent in mornings will continue to be a huge disastere for Service and it could all be avoided! The ladies do a great job and just some additional glue to make it gel! Not worth much but that is my opinion and like they say -- we all have one! This is market number 5 and needs to be run like it. Revenes are directly tied to the ratings and not sure Hyman wants to continue to see his revenue base get sliced and diced.

nuffsaid said:
Love him or hate him ---- KEN DOWE put the chemistry to work at K-104! Think Hyman has to many "you go dude" boosters on his payroll. Nobody wants to stand up and tell him what needs to be done to bring this station back to it's logical position in the market. Telling the boss he is full of @(($&^&!@ is normally not the way to have longevity in a position. This statiion has bounced around like a rubber ball since Ken shut the door behind him and it may continue to sink like an anchor if something isn't done soon. Playing musical jocks and putting unproven talent in mornings will continue to be a huge disastere for Service and it could all be avoided! The ladies do a great job and just some additional glue to make it gel! Not worth much but that is my opinion and like they say -- we all have one! This is market number 5 and needs to be run like it. Revenes are directly tied to the ratings and not sure Hyman wants to continue to see his revenue base get sliced and diced.

Someone else who is praying at the alter of Ken Dowe. Ken never did anything to help KRNB.

Salem, you took the words right out of my mouth. Just another Dowe worshiper. You'd think Ken Dowe have wings and play a harp...

I did not make reference to KRNB. I am not an alter boy nor would I every offer such a comment. I think you will have to admit that during Ken Dowe's tenure the statioin was very strong and consistently Number 1! Was it Ken Dowe? Was it Hyman? Was it the air staff? Whatever it was .. it worked!!!!

nuffsaid said:
I did not make reference to KRNB. I am not an alter boy nor would I every offer such a comment. I think you will have to admit that during Ken Dowe's tenure the statioin was very strong and consistently Number 1! Was it Ken Dowe? Was it Hyman? Was it the air staff? Whatever it was .. it worked!!!!

They were doing pretty good BEFORE Ken Dowe. K104 was a full service station that appealed to all demos. Now its just another hip hop trash station.

nuffsaid said:

Even if Ken Dowe was there now, K104 would not be #1. PPM changed all of that.

bucwhyl said:
nuffsaid said:

Even if Ken Dowe was there now, K104 would not be #1. PPM changed all of that.[/color
It would be #1 if they had Skip Murphy & Co. back because they, not Ken
Dowe, were responsible for K104 being #1; PPM or no PPM because they appealed to the masses.

I was only there a short time but there was one thing K104 never got. In the PPM world you have to program to the meters as much as to your audience. Skip got it but was not in control once the new guy got there. I always had good numbers in my midday slot and it all comes from execution of the format in the ppm world. I wasn't black, white, urban or hip hop. I played the hits for EVERYBODY. Hip Hop is just music, like country or top 40 or ac. You don't have to play the part to play the music, you just have to be on top of your game. People have no attention span, every thing you do on the air needs to be to the point and compelling from the time you open the mic. I wish I could've stayed, I loved going to work in a house in Grand Prairie.

salemjedi54 said:
nuffsaid said:

Someone else who is praying at the alter of Ken Dowe. Ken never did anything to help KRNB.

That's because in all reality, KRNB should have never been. It was just created as a dumping ground for the inventory of classic R&B and soul along with contemporary R&B and "The Quiet Storm" that was considered "too mature" for the kiddy-oriented version of K-104. Like you said above, K-104 does better as a full-service urban station and the ratings would reflect that for sure. The best usage of the 105.7 frequency is as a FM-simulcast of Soul 73 with some minor tweaks such weekend specialty shows.

domino1059 said:
I was only there a short time but there was one thing K104 never got. In the PPM world you have to program to the meters as much as to your audience. Skip got it but was not in control once the new guy got there. I always had good numbers in my midday slot and it all comes from execution of the format in the ppm world. I wasn't black, white, urban or hip hop. I played the hits for EVERYBODY. Hip Hop is just music, like country or top 40 or ac. You don't have to play the part to play the music, you just have to be on top of your game. People have no attention span, every thing you do on the air needs to be to the point and compelling from the time you open the mic. I wish I could've stayed, I loved going to work in a house in Grand Prairie.

You are speaking the truth right there. That's why I believe if somebody is good at what they do, it shouldn't matter that who or what they are as long as they do their job well. I wish more urban stations would go back to be that rather than caricatures of themselves nowadays with the splicing of the format with such things as urban AC, mainstream urban, and urban oldies.

Come on Service, will THE REAL MORNING SHOW please stand up! What are you doing? We want funny, funny informative, community oriented and relatable radio. Not just two overbearing women with nothing but tired celebrity gossip that's pulled from any celebrity gossip web-site read by everyone the day before and then they deliver it to us and finally a mediocre comic just doesn't work!!!! If things don't change real quick we're across the street!!!!!

kilamanjero said:
salemjedi54 said:
nuffsaid said:

That's because in all reality, KRNB should have never been. It was just created as a dumping ground for the inventory of classic R&B and soul along with contemporary R&B and "The Quiet Storm" that was considered "too mature" for the kiddy-oriented version of K-104. Like you said above, K-104 does better as a full-service urban station and the ratings would reflect that for sure. The best usage of the 105.7 frequency is as a FM-simulcast of Soul 73 with some minor tweaks such weekend specialty shows.

That was the plan all along. To take the music off KKDA and put it on KRNB and make KKDA a black talk station. Don't know what happened, but it would have been nice to have a black talk station in D/FW

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom