• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

June 2023 Bay Area Radio PPM Ratings

Here are the June 2023 San Francisco Radio PPM Ratings:

And the June 2023 San Jose Radio PPM Ratings:

Any thoughts or observations?

Covering the survey period from Thu. 5/25/2023 thru Wed. 6/21/2023,
age 6+ overall alternate views:

San Francisco: San Francisco - RadioInsight
San Jose: San Jose - RadioInsight

KITS rises 2.2-3.1 in its first survey as Live 105.

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49:
(scroll down to see San Francisco)

25-54: 1. KOIT 2. KISQ 3. KMVQ 4. KMEL 5. KIOI 6. KYLD
18-34: 1. KOIT 2. KMEL 3. KISQ (up from #7) 4. KMVQ 5T. KYLD 5T. KBLX 5T. KITS (up from #11) 8. KIOI (down from #5)
18-49: 1. KOIT 2. KMVQ 3. KISQ 4. KMEL 5. KIOI

Covering the survey period from Thu. 5/25/2023 thru Wed. 6/21/2023,
age 6+ overall alternate views:

San Francisco: San Francisco - RadioInsight
San Jose: San Jose - RadioInsight

KITS rises 2.2-3.1 in its first survey as Live 105.

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49:
(scroll down to see San Francisco)

25-54: 1. KOIT 2. KISQ 3. KMVQ 4. KMEL 5. KIOI 6. KYLD
18-34: 1. KOIT 2. KMEL 3. KISQ (up from #7) 4. KMVQ 5T. KYLD 5T. KBLX 5T. KITS (up from #11) 8. KIOI (down from #5)
18-49: 1. KOIT 2. KMVQ 3. KISQ 4. KMEL 5. KIOI
How did KDON do in San Jose, although they don't subscribe to that book?

KDON has not shown up in the San Jose book since it went PPM in 2008.
I'm curious as to how much longer the San Jose embedded market will continue. With so many stations that only serve that area now being ethnic, there is not likely much revenue for Nielsen to go to the expense of doing additional proportionality and tabulation expenditures if few broadcasters subscribe.

As expected, post-Warriors playoff run, KGMZ (The Game) drops like a rock. KNBR back to their traditional dominant spot for sports talk.

That’s gotta be the best 6+ share KITS has posted during the PPM era. They usually hung around the 1.5-2.0 share range in their last incarnation. The questions are:
1) They’ve got some listeners. Can they keep them?
2) More importantly, can they sell them?

1) They’ve got some listeners. Can they keep them?
2) More importantly, can they sell them?

Selling alternative is tough. To point 1, take a look at what John Allers did with KVIL Dallas: #2 18-34 #4 25-54. Those are sellable numbers, and they keep improving. So there's reason to believe that KITS can continue to grow.

However, in the male 25-54 demo, 95.7 The Game has been "comfortably ahead" of KNBR for the last 3 quarters:

For April-May-June 2023:
"Inside the target demo of Men 25-54, 95.7 The Game finished 3rd in weekday prime (M-F 6a-7p) with a 4.8 share. KNBR was a distant 16th, with a 2.5 share."

However, in the male 25-54 demo, 95.7 The Game has been "comfortably ahead" of KNBR for the last 3 quarters:

For April-May-June 2023:
"Inside the target demo of Men 25-54, 95.7 The Game finished 3rd in weekday prime (M-F 6a-7p) with a 4.8 share. KNBR was a distant 16th, with a 2.5 share."
6+ is meaningless, and Men 25-54 is what counts in Sports radio, so---

Good improvement from KITS - 2nd highest rated Audacy station! KRBQ-FM and KVVF continue to tank, however. I really think one of the two will flip, but to what?

KSAN saw a slight increase with Dave’s vanishing, think the on air talent there is solid so good for them. Wish it mixed currents in though.

KBAY putting out healthy numbers for the signal (starts to get sketchy in the city and almost unlistenable in Marin and adjacent)

KGMZ tank is expected, probably not an issue for Audacy either. Station still sucks!! 😂

However for San Jose!

Interestingly, KRBG-FM has stopped subscribing. Have they ever done that?

Last edited:
How did KDON do in San Jose, although they don't subscribe to that book?

KDON’s got pretty rough reception in the silicone valley area, meaning it isn’t a great station for commuters and according to longely-rice maps isn’t that grest for indoor either in San Jose. I imagine KDON’s focus is the central coast and not being a Bay Area rimshot station, like KKIQ

KDON’s got pretty rough reception in the silicone valley area, meaning it isn’t a great station for commuters and according to longely-rice maps isn’t that grest for indoor either in San Jose. I imagine KDON’s focus is the central coast and not being a Bay Area rimshot station, like KKIQ
KDON focuses on Salinas and Monterey.

I hear it every once in a while in the Oakland hills; in the mornings, it sometimes is strong enough for HD reception.

Selling alternative is tough. To point 1, take a look at what John Allers did with KVIL Dallas: #2 18-34 #4 25-54. Those are sellable numbers, and they keep improving. So there's reason to believe that KITS can continue to grow.
I’m surprised Audacy chose to send him to resurrect the SF alternative station instead of saving the one the company had in New York

KVVF KVVZ will go country I think. Format whole for the city and north of it!! Those ratings are awful.
Uh, no. Country has failed multiple times in San Francisco. It has worked acceptably well in San Jose (KRTY and now KBAY) and Santa Rosa (KFGY and KJZY-HD2), even if it hasn't set the market on fire, so that's where it's destined to remain. I doubt any station on or near Sutro Tower are going to take that risk again.

Back
Top Bottom