• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Joe is Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, 87.89 IS on the 87.9 channel. An FM channel is + and - 100kHz wide. 87.8 to 88.0 fall within the 87.9 FM channel.
You're splitting hairs. You have made you intent very clear. You want to operate on a forbidden frequency.
Ding Ding Ding!

Best bet man, run 87.7 and run that digital up in some UHF whitespace and virtual it to 6. That eliminates the signal issues. Why are you so stuck on 87.9 anyway?

Ding Ding Ding!

Best bet man, run 87.7 and run that digital up in some UHF whitespace and virtual it to 6. That eliminates the signal issues. Why are you so stuck on 87.9 anyway?

Actually, 87.89 IS on the 87.9 channel. An FM channel is + and - 100kHz wide. 87.8 to 88.0 fall within the 87.9 FM channel. You're splitting hairs. You have made you intent very clear. You want to operate on a forbidden frequency.

You all are absolutely right. I could easily move the analog audio down to 87.7 and remove all doubt as to whether I'm was operating on "whitespace." The problem is that a lot of car radios -- especially newer ones -- won't tune that low. The one in my truck tunes from 87.9 to 107.9.

There are conflicting laws here. "Whitespace" consists, by definition, of the unused frequencies allotted to TV channels. According to the FCC table of allotments, RF Channel 6 is allotted 82 to 88 MHz. See 47 CFR 73.603. Then you have CFR 73.504, footnote 1, that states, "The frequency 87.9 MHz, Channel 200, is available only for use of existing Class D stations required to change frequency. It is available only on a noninterference basis with respect to TV Channel 6 stations and adjacent channel noncommercial educational FM stations. It is not available at all within 402 kilometers (250 miles) of Canada and 320 kilometers (199 miles) of Mexico. The specific standards governing its use are contained in § 73.512."

To the best of my knowledge, there are no longer any "legal" stations (pirates excepted*) broadcasting on 87.9 pursuant to these provisions. In any event, this experiment is over. I have to regroup and figure out what next...

Frank, I sent a reply to your email.

Last edited:
There are two stations on the frequency. KSFH, Mountain View, CA. The other station is K200AA, Sun Valley, Nevada.

Last edited:
By the way, the Spanish language pirate on 87.9 out of Pasadena (that recently went silent) is back on the air again this morning.

Just like Alex Jones in Austin... LOL they all always eventually get their transmitters fixed.

Theres a few reasons why this won't work. The amp is too narrow and too dirty to pass ATSC. The analog can and will splatter into the ATSC signal enough to cause problems. You cannot have two antennas pumping out that close of frequency that close to eachother, they will feed into eachother without some heavy duty filtering.
The only way to make this work is have the FM carrier dead center on 87.9, and have a duplexer built to combine these signals.

But you're pretty much trying to have a station on 92.1, 92.3, AND 92.5

I really think you're biggest problem right now is trying to run digital on VHF-Low. Theres a damn good reason broadcasters abandoned this band when they could.

Joe's biggest problem is he cannot follow and did not bother to read the rules of broadcasting...Oh well..

As for your statement of two antennas close of freq not working, you obviously have not dealt with interlaced antennas in HD FM radio.

Joe's biggest problem is he cannot follow and did not bother to read the rules of broadcasting...Oh well..

As for your statement of two antennas close of freq not working, you obviously have not dealt with interlaced antennas in HD FM radio.

I'll admit I'm not well versed on HD radio. I always assumed they just ran out of the parent station's antenna and was treated like a low power subcarrier.

I knew of interlaced antennas, but for Joe's sake and experience I was kind of going for layman's stuff. His setup just isn't capable of what he is trying to accomplish.

Last edited:

Oh, CW... Like I'm a single solitary rulebreaker. Broadcasters filing false paperwork, claiming they're on the air where they are not. Broadcasters using towers/locations other than authorized. Broadcasters manipulating the system, turning a station on once a year to keep from losing their license. Broadcasters committing identity theft, filing FCC apps using someone else's name. Broadcasters trying to extort other broadcasters. AM stations running daytime patterns and power at night. Stations failing to ID, or properly ID. Pirates with 1 kW signals in Austin and Houston. Restaurants and movie theaters jamming cell phone and wifi. NCE and LPFMs running commercials. LPFMs running at unauthorized power levels.

And then there's a Federal agency that's supposed to provide a check and balance to all this chaos...

As you said... "Oh well."

Last edited:
Just because other people willfully break the rules doesn't make it ok.

They all get caught eventually. It might take awhile, but one way or another it gets em.

Just because other people willfully break the rules doesn't make it ok.

They all get caught eventually. It might take awhile, but one way or another it gets em.

Tell me about it. That's why I've done my best to keep on the level. That's why I traveled to Washington and talked to the FCC about what I wanted to do. I may try to stretch a rule here or there (e.g., 87.85 as opposed to 87.9), but nothing on the level of outright defiance.

Question For An Engineer?

Just discovered a unique product. An FM stereo transmitter that is a PCI computer card -- comes in 1 and 3 watts models. Software controls the frequency (in .50 steps) and power levels on the computer. Presumably, you can automate from a media player on the computer, or even feed a stream into it. And the price is quite reasonable.... Has anyone out there had any experience with this gadget?

See http://www.pcs-electronics.com/3000-transmitter-card-p-1664.html

pcimax3000_1_s.jpg

As you know, those are not legal in the United States.

That as it may be, Frank, there are a lot of sources in the United States selling FM and TV transmitters that are not FCC type accepted, including the above-referenced PCI Max. One of the best sources is RF Broadcast Emporium. http://www.rfemporium.com/

At this point, I'm looking for something that has more precise tuning and better audio quality than the Chinese junk I'm been playing with. One problem I'm having with the China junk is harmonics. When they are stand alone, the unwanted signals are so weak as to be trivial. But with amplification, they are noticeable.

I was just asking if anyone out there had played around with the PCI Max, as it appears to be of better quality than most. Its also compatible with Spacial SAM Broadcaster, which is what I use for my JoeFM stream. http://support.spacialaudio.com/wiki/FMCard

Last edited:
This actually looks pretty cool, Joe! I have a Chinese transmitter for my part 15, and hate the harmonics. Have to turn it off when I'm trying to pick up distant stations sometimes. Also the audio quality on my Chinese transmitter isn't too good, turning up the bass makes it sound muddy.

I guess it isn't illegal if I use very low power settings.

Last edited:
Well you sure are jamming today I live in on the northside by 59 and Crosstimbers and I get to listen to you on 87.9 FM somewhat spotty but I get to see the FM signal turn on and I guess had a machine saying you are listening to JOE FM Houston tx

Nice!
Northside of Houston, you say? Is that far from Mr. Joe's tower? If it is, he must be using one powerful transmitter.

I don't know where his tower is but we're close to Bush Airport

This is the PCI Max computer card mentioned a few posts earlier. Three watts on 87.85 MHz from a circular dipole duct taped to a north facing window on the 43rd floor of a building in downtown Houston. Im not very happy with the sound quality. Its distorts and has poor stereo separation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom