• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jimmy Kimmel Signs Three-Year Extension With ABC, Ending Speculation Over His Late-Night Future

Now that Jimmy Kimmel is set to continue on ABC, might the network decide to compete head-to-head against James Corden and Seth Meyers by dropping "Nightline" (which currently airs at 12:30 A.M. ET/PT) and replace it with another comedy-oriented talk/variety show, despite the fact that such a move would be controversial (given that "Nightline" is one of the most prestigious and most honored programs in the history of American television)?

How different is the original "Man Show" Kimmel (Carolla was the actual brains of that show) from the current Hollywood-ass-kissing unfunny Kimmel.
Not true. Waaaayy back when The "Man Show" was still around (1999 - 2003 so a few decades ago now) they often joked about how lazy Corolla was. Kimmel was the one driving the show and while Corolla most definitely added to it and he was great as co-host, Kimmel was admittedly pulling Carolla along at times.

Now that Jimmy Kimmel is set to continue on ABC, might the network decide to compete head-to-head against James Corden and Seth Meyers by dropping "Nightline"
James Corden will depart from the Late Late Show in the spring of 2023. Will be interesting to see who or what CBS offers in his place.

James Corden will depart from the Late Late Show in the spring of 2023. Will be interesting to see who or what CBS offers in his place.

CBS contracted with a British production company to do this show. Not aware that they have any production rights to this time beyond this contract. So whatever happens, they will likely start from scratch, with new producers. I suspect they'll look to co-owned Comedy Central for talent and production.

I wonder if CBS would go back to the old days of 'Crimetime After Primetime'? Run an NCIS or FBI repeat at 12:37 to save $$$, studio space, crews, audiences, booking guests...
When Pat Sajak had his show in 1989-90, CBS aired him from 11:30-1AM and Night Heat reruns followed.
Of course, CBS might find some trend-setter on TikTok to do a show...

ABC probably cracked down on my local affiliate for airing Kimmel a half-hour before normal PT time, as KVEW is running Friends reruns at 11:05 instead of JKL. I don't see Nightline going away for quite a while as it's cheaper for ABC and has been on the network for a very long time. On the other hand, I don't watch him, or any late-night host nowadays. They're all the same - unfunny, mundane, same jokes over and over. Bill Maher is about the only exception. I miss Ferguson, Leno, and Letterman.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom