• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jamn and The Bull

Why do Rumba Jamn' and The Bull perform so poorly? How long with iHeart allow -2.0 share stations? In the basement....
Look past the 6+ ratings that have no real meaning. Rumba adds a revenue stream by having the only Spanish-language FM on a (mostly) full-powered stick, Jam’n has actually done fairly well in target demos recently, and The Bull exists to clear Bobby Bones and for sales purposes.

Because Boston remains overwhelmingly white, HOT does a far better job of curating hip hop than Jam'n does, and KLB does a far better job of curating country (and has a better morning show) than the Bull does.

Look past the 6+ ratings that have no real meaning. Rumba adds a revenue stream by having the only Spanish-language FM on a (mostly) full-powered stick, Jam’n has actually done fairly well in target demos recently, and The Bull exists to clear Bobby Bones and for sales purposes.
WZRM is 2.05kW @ 173 meters, which is full power for a Class A 6KW FM. So there is no "mostly" about it.

I think they're a lot more concerned about where ZLX and Kiss are at than anything else.

Those two stations used to be in the Top 5. Not anymore.

WZRM is 2.05kW @ 173 meters, which is full power for a Class A 6KW FM. So there is no "mostly" about it.
Rumba’s not on a 250-watt limited translator, is what I was trying to get at. Plus, being on that signal, even if it isn’t on the Pru or off 128, looks good for ad buyers. People clamor about why Z in Atlanta should flip - there are reasons why neither will happen.

It's hard for someone not in the industry to understand that a station like WBWL is considered useful just because it airs a national morning show. I understand that advertisers want to see as many major markets as possible when they buy time on a show like Bobby Bones'. But honestly, if the show is being drubbed by the local morning show on the dominant country station in the market, why would an advertiser want to be on the Bull in the first place?

It's hard for someone not in the industry to understand that a station like WBWL is considered useful just because it airs a national morning show. I understand that advertisers want to see as many major markets as possible when they buy time on a show like Bobby Bones'. But honestly, if the show is being drubbed by the local morning show on the dominant country station in the market, why would an advertiser want to be on the Bull in the first place?
I wonder about this very question a lot, and it seems I have no idea how the "industry" is run in today's environment. The answers that I see (when others like yourself ask) which supposedly explain the why never quite compute. Also, I'm an outsider, so my right to ask this question would be called into question.

Plain and simple. WJMN is one of the worse Hip Hop stations in America. WJMN let go their very Talant morning show ( Now they're on 96.9 ) few years ago and WJMN been terrible since.

Because media buying is predicated upon emotion instead of intelligence.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong. Are you saying that advertisers/agencies make radio buys based on emotion rather than empirical data, or that emotion drives the radio industry's methodology?

Both. Agencies make buys based on ratings. But smaller local advertisers may make the decision based on their feelings. Hell, sometimes national buyers do, too. If you used to dub barter spots back in the day, they'd come with a list of shows they didn't want the spots to air in. Rush was super popular, but a lot of brands didn't want to be anywhere near him, even though people measurably listened.

Been there, done that too. The AC I programmed held back on a buy because the station "wasn't involved in the community." I didn't get the idea that the ratings (which weren't in the shitter) ever came up in the conversation.

And that's part of the value of The Bull. The Boston area is big for country music. Kenny Chesney ends his tour with two nights in Gillette for a reason. One of iHeart's core formats is country. They do an iHeart Country Festival every year. So the local ratings don't matter as much if you can contest to that community. I don't know this for a fact, but I bet there's a lot of sharing of audience with KLB. So there's also the value angle.

Back
Top Bottom