• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jackson Market's Best of all Time?

OldGM said:
Morning Show
Midday Jock
Afternoon Drive
Evenings
Overnights
Specialty Programming
News
TV Anchors (2)
Newspaper Columnist (Local)
Advertiser doing his own commercials
Radio Station Promotion
Best of anything else...

No question, Bob. YOU were one of the very best ever to pass through Jackson radio. And you're going to be missed.

I did a part time, weekend dj shift at WJQS in 1973. Lee Hodges was manager, John Friskillo was program director and there was another guy there named Dan Steele. Does anybody remember him? He was in Jackson radio for some time I believe and worked on several stations as I recall. I haven't seen his name mentioned here and wondered what people thought about him and maybe where he is today.

hi,
dan was working at mix 96 with walt and windy, belive he passed in the late 80's.

I was a stand-by engineer in that period for Lee...my former wife, Janie was the secretary...and Steele was one great fellow...the relationship among the staffers was one of the best I ever encountered...JBI

I had the pleasure of working at ZZQ in '74/'75 with Wayne, Keith, Sergio and Summers as a part timer. What a great experience it was to work with such class people for a station that is still revered 35 years later. Sergio was my idol. So glib and quick witted yet always pleasant. The guys across the hall at the AM could be a hoot as well, and Marshall McGee was as good as they came for a GM. He almost wished as much as I did there was a full time gig for me. Things work out. I ended up with a 35 year career in engineering. Maybe I wasn't supposed to be behind the mic.

beachguy3b said:
Radeo- that's when I was there. Who be ye? I wonder if I remember you! :D

John Buffaloe, Johnny B, The Ever Benevelent Buffaloe, Buffaloe, Johnny Rock, but ya' doesn't has to call me Johnson.

I worked mostly weekend overnights but also did a lot of fill on Friday evenings when Sergio had a gig. I was there for maybe 9 months from late '74 to July '75, then I left for CA and a whole new life and career. One night I was on both ZZQ and JDX while Perez made a burger run. Fun days.

I must have been there a lot of weekend overnights, because I remember you!

i remember dan steel very well.....worked with him up until the day he passed away....he died of a heart attack at age 53 in the late 80's

robgrayson said:
I must have been there a lot of weekend overnights, because I remember you!
You were doing weekends back then, weren't you?

I don't remember when I started at JDX, but I left in mid-May of 75 for KSLQ.

Interesting posts...I am just now reading them (August 2010). A little slow on the uptake!

Thanks very much for the kind words about WJDX and the morning show. What a time we had.

I was always a big fan of WSLI. I was a part-timer there in 1964-65. Farmer Jim Neal had one of the best runs at the top in radio - about 50 years, wasn't it? An act focused on an imaginary dog who was never seen or heard, but was, of course, the Farmer's alter-ego.

Al Simmons (PD), and later Bob and Al, my mentor George Florence, Jeff Hester, and yes, Dick Voorhis, the manager who made the station. It ran like a bank and made money like one, but it was no accident. They prized great commercials and continuity, never cut their rates, kept the same employees for decades, used pre-programmed music and had enormous ratings success.

I always thought having to compete with WSLI inspired our team at WJDX to be the best. We had so many superb people, including Jim Reihle, Jay Marks (Rodney W. Randall), Mark Shands, Christopher Stone, Bill Crews, Dave Dunaway, and Howard Lett. As some may remember, Reihle, Randall, Shands, Crews and Dunaway all wound up with me at Y-100/Miami, where we met up with Don Cox, Robert W. Walker, John Rook, Cecil Heftel and many other great radio people.

Finally, a tribute to Bob Rall. Though we never worked together, we were friends, corresponding almost to the day he died. Can't say enough good about him.

Best wishes and continued success to all,

Bill Tanner

A very nice post, Bill Tanner. I think we met a couple of times. In your early days did you work in Vicksburg?

JDX-A Hell of a Local Station, that fit into its slot in the community and
reflected the Hipness of the Era, Much Like ZZQ, but with a Pop
mainstream Flavor. ALSO The Most Educated News Staff EVER.
Plus on Air Jocks that were taught to be Mini-Pds, and to always
Look for the opening to create the perfect thought seqence that
fit the music. Some of it Planned, Some of it Free Form that was
the Beauty of that Station, it was an AM Station that Played
a Cotton Picking, Album Cut once an hour as a Feature, Who
does that on an Am Station. JDX Did, that was its Cool Element
it gave you music you could not get anywhere else on the Am
Dail at that Time, Yes it Played some Top-40 Cuts, but went
to the Edge of the Format, to aquire its uniqueness.

Y-100-The Station where you strapped yourself into the seat, and
wrapped the station around you and Flew it, Like a Jet Fighter;
every ounce of thought, prep, and performance, was on-the-line,
Every break. Its unique Key to Success was, how it Made the
Listener the STAR of the Show. You Knew you worked there
cause your mind was Blank after your performance, it was a show
not a shift. The stopsets were Even programmed for the Best
Effect, to keep its Propulsion Up thru the set. Who does that,
Y-100 did because it was another major element to success,
Beyond just the Music.

Bill Tanner-Not a Band Leader, but a Conducter of Talent with the right
Voice, the Right Personality, in the Right Slot, at the Right
Time, With the Perfect Music Mix. Always on TOP of the Wave
Before it Hit the Beach. Smart, Funny, Always Dailed In.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom