• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

JACK-FM in Fort Myers?

D

DiamondJoe

While there is rampant discussion about JACK coming to Tampa, I would like to start the bidding for its neighbor market of Fort Myers/Naples/Marco Island.

Let the speculation begin... Believe it or not, while the highest-rated stations in Fort Myers are demographically higher, this market is perfect for Jack. It can certainly fill a void left when 80's 97.7 The Point flipped to Tropical two years ago.

I may not be familiar with how the stations bill in this market, so cut me some slack on that... While I reside in New York, I've visited this area for years, so I have a gist of the radio atmosphere here.

Here's my personal picks:

WARO "Arrow 94.5" - Competitor WRXK "96 K-Rock" is getting better ratings even without Stern in the morning.

WRQC "Real Rock 92.5" - WJBX "99X New Rock Alternative" beats them handily in the ratings.

WJGO "Groovin' Oldies 102.9" - One of the few remaining "Jammin' Oldies" stations from that fad. Why not jump on the next big thing?

WZJZ "Smooth Jazz 107.1" - My longshot pick... They've actually rebounded from a bad book, but their signal is not that strong, proven when its original occupant "Cat Country" moved to the stronger 100.1 signal...

So... what's your pick?<P ID="signature">______________

New York City Radio and TV</P>

> While there is rampant discussion about JACK coming to
> Tampa, I would like to start the bidding for its neighbor
> market of Fort Myers/Naples/Marco Island.
>
> Let the speculation begin... Believe it or not, while the
> highest-rated stations in Fort Myers are demographically
> higher, this market is perfect for Jack. It can certainly
> fill a void left when 80's 97.7 The Point flipped to
> Tropical two years ago.

I think the best bet for Ft. Myers to get Variety Hits is for Renda to flip one of its stations to Westwood One's "SAM" satellite-fed Variety Hits product, which is slated to debut tomorrow.<P ID="signature">______________
Lou Pickney
Tampa, FL
RadioHotTalk.com & VarietyHits.com</P>

> I think the best bet for Ft. Myers to get Variety Hits is
> for Renda to flip one of its stations to Westwood One's
> "SAM" satellite-fed Variety Hits product, which is slated to
> debut tomorrow.

Okay... which one? Will it be 102.9? Or maybe WSGL 104.7? I failed to mention that one in my initial post... The legendary WINK beats them across the board... Maybe WINK could pull an Infinity and switch itself to Jack - although if Meridian/Ft. Myers Broadcasting really needed to switch one of its stations, it may as well ax "The Arrow".

Do you think "Sam" will be the call in Fort Myers and not "Jack"? I can picture the same voice guy doing these liners for most of these "Jack" stations saying "94.5"... or maybe I'm sleepwalking...<P ID="signature">______________

Renda's definitely got the least to lose...if they want to be cautious, flip WGUF (currently the most disposable format of the bunch, but not a great signal into Ft. Myers) and see if it flies...then move to a better signal (WJGO or WSGL).

Personally I'd just go ahead and flip WJGO to Jack, leave WSGL as the Naples-centric AC, and flip WGUF to standards (taking advantage of the fact that WSJT's Cape Coral signal isn't all that great in Naples).

> Renda's definitely got the least to lose...if they want to
> be cautious, flip WGUF (currently the most disposable format
> of the bunch, but not a great signal into Ft. Myers) and see
> if it flies...then move to a better signal (WJGO or WSGL).
>
> Personally I'd just go ahead and flip WJGO to Jack, leave
> WSGL as the Naples-centric AC, and flip WGUF to standards
> (taking advantage of the fact that WSJT's Cape Coral signal
> isn't all that great in Naples).

That sounds like a plan... Renda could easily have two stations in the Top 5 in the next book or two... And come to think of it, WARO flipping to Jack might impact its sister station, the legendary WINK-FM. I still think that when the rival classic rocker beats you even without Stern, that doesn't bode well...<P ID="signature">______________

You're kidding

> WARO flipping to Jack might impact its sister
> station, the legendary WINK-FM. I still think that when the
> rival classic rocker beats you even without Stern, that
> doesn't bode well...

Stern's last day on WRXK was on (or near) April 5th, 2005. The most recent ratings for the Ft. Myers market were Fall 2004. How can you say what WRXK's ratings are without Stern when there haven't been any ratings yet!

Re: You're kidding

> Stern's last day on WRXK was on (or near) April 5th, 2005.
> The most recent ratings for the Ft. Myers market were Fall
> 2004. How can you say what WRXK's ratings are without Stern
> when there haven't been any ratings yet!

You know what... I paid too much attention on WRXK's near-2-point drop from its last book, then failed to realize what period the last book was released! (slaps self) When will Market #65 become a quarterly already... Anyway, I'll admit when I've jumped the gun on some oversights, and this is no exception...<P ID="signature">______________

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom