• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's really a no brainer

R

radiodial

With the radio industry scrambling to catch the IPod craze and the Internet download craze by throwing out formats like JACK and BOB the solution is really a no brainer.

First, the listener now has control. The radio industry needs to get over itself and realize that the listener is now in the drivers seat. Throwing out a JACK type format to see what "sticks" is an effort in the right direction but it is merely a patch to the more pressing problem facing the industry and that is the listener now has control of the type of music they want to listen to.

The radio industry will never get that control back so they need to quit trying.

So what is the solution? It's fairly obvious.

The radio industry needs to mimic the listening habits of the IPod and Internet download generation. And this "generation" is not a young or old generation it is everyone from classical music to active rock.

If you're a classic rock station, or any other format, then you need to find out what are the top IPod and Internet downloads and play that music. Doesn't matter if it the artist or song is obscure because it is already tested to be popular.

This can be taken further and the music can be tailored to popular music downaloads for a particular area, e.g., Houston music lovers' taste in downloads.

Follow the downloads.....

In return, this can revive the DJ as a viable component of radio again (i.e., no voice tracking) since many new songs will be played and need a slight discussion of the artist and the song.

Every radio format will be exciting again and the DJs alive with vigor, unshackled from their tight corporate play lists.

As I read about the radio industry running around like chickens with their heads cut off as to what to do with the IPod craze and the Internet download craze I am reminded of the very old saying: "Can't see the forest because of the trees." (translated: too close to the subject to focus and see the obvious answer right before you)

P.S. to Joanie.... I read your last post and thank you very much for relieving me of some guilt for starting that thread. I wish you all the best but I don't think you'll need my well wishes for you have an absolutely infectiously positive attitude!!!

Great points! It IS a no-brainer. The problem is, the radio industry is being run by accountants and lawyers. They have no "soul", or "feel", for the listener. DJ's are a liability, because, they cost money. In the mind of an accountant, DJ's are expendible.

Now, back to your points: You've nailed it, dead on! Just as radio had to regroup in the early 1950's with the advent of TV, and did it beautifully with "formula radio", the industry has a golden opportunity to bring all those download sites together in one place.....radio. And, as you mentioned, local artists, and local radio audiences would, once again, be served in a way that no other medium can. Radio can interview the artists, and, bring the artists to the local concert stage. Radio can, also, have a hand in bringing some of those artists into the mainstream. Radio can.....if only it will.

> Just
> as radio had to regroup in the early 1950's with the advent
> of TV, and did it beautifully with "formula radio", the
> industry has a golden opportunity to bring all those
> download sites together in one place.....radio.
>

Hi UncleGuido, Thanks for the discussion back to me. I read everything you wrote but wanted to add to your above words that "Yes, radio and DJs have a HUGE opportunity right before their very eyes." The radio industry has a goldmine and they don't even see it.

Reading about diaries and phone surveys and now the ridiclous PPM - one has to wonder just how brain dead the Radio executives are that they can't just go look at what people are downloading to figure out what to play which automatically leads to increased ad revenue.

I guess the point I am trying to make is: "Is it not more sensible to figure out what people are listening to than to track the percent of people who are listening to you?" One method is pro-active and the second method is post-active and then trying to tweak things in the dark to get the numbers up. (the blind leading the blind)

Thanks for saying I "nailed it!" I wasn't sure how my post would go over but that is the best compliment possible!

Long live RADIO...

> I guess the point I am trying to make is: "Is it not more
> sensible to figure out what people are listening to than to
> track the percent of people who are listening to you?" One
> method is pro-active and the second method is post-active
> and then trying to tweak things in the dark to get the
> numbers up. (the blind leading the blind)
>
> Thanks for saying I "nailed it!" I wasn't sure how my post
> would go over but that is the best compliment possible!
>

Hey guys,
I've really liked reading your ideas in this thread. Okay, I may make a few enemies on this board by admitting this, but I am an accountant myself (although I'm not tied to a specific industry and certainly NOT the radio industry :)

Anyway, in defense of "my kind"...I think most accountants, believe it or not, will actually agree with the statement that "you have to spend money to make money". There's been discussion about that on this board and I wholeheartedly agree. The only thing is, you have to make sure that you are making wise choices and spending your money effectively...the benefit you receive should exceed the cost you are paying.

I think if a station/company can jump on an innovative idea like Radiodial's, then they may seize an opportunity that the other stations don't see. I had never thought of the ratings system as is as retroactive instead of proactive, but that is exactly what it is.

If a station can spend the money up front to differentiate itself from others, it can turn that investment into some really good earnings. These earnings could be used to hire the best talent that will help keep the station fresh and responsive to its local community. I know that is a little idealistic, but I also think that "terrestrial" radio, as a whole, does need to do something if it is to differentiate itself from other forms of media and technology, such as iPods, internet radio, and satellite. If it doesn't, then it will have to share the same profit pool with more and more of those type competitors.

Personally, I have enjoyed listening to my MP3 collection more and more, but am willing to stick with stations like KIOL only because they have personalities that I can relate to. I'd listen to CC a little more, but every time I get attached to their personalities (such as Steve & Jeff on the Buzz, Walton & Johnson on Rock 101, and now the latest, Joanie on KKRW) they get the dreadful CC ax! :( So...I've stopped listening to Clear Channel and have not missed it!

Okay, sorry for the rant there, but my point is that without local personalities, I don't see the purpose in listening to local radio. I can get the exact music I want right away with the technology that's out there..and take it with me almost anywhere! Hopefully some radio management types will realize that.

I like what someone (I forget who) said in a post...I think it was on this board...it's sad that "Kroger Radio" is just as good as many actual radio stations that are out there today!

JB

Gee, it's great when folks hit a nail on the head.

Please let me add this:
If we all understand that the medium is entertainment. Listeners have to be drawn to a particular station because it offers them something that isn't available elsewhere.
References to competition from Ipod devices are made. This is an unacceptable claim as it involves consumer choice. I ask how does this device differ from the huge music collections most of us have made cassettes from for nearly 30 years?

Truth:
The job of the industry is to entertain. Every other thing is supposed to be a product/ benefit of doing that job correctly and consistantly. The reactive habit of placing blame should not be accepted.

Finally:
We don't care about branding.- It sounds silly and dated. Your not selling jeans.
We don't care about your playlist metrics.- We want dynamics in the music.
We don't care about syndicated "shows". - Most just don't entertain.
We don't care about your sponsorship or financial problems.- Get higher ratings and sell fewer spots at a higher rate.

> Gee, it's great when folks hit a nail on the head.
>
> Please let me add this:
> If we all understand that the medium is entertainment.
> Listeners have to be drawn to a particular station because
> it offers them something that isn't available elsewhere.
> References to competition from Ipod devices are made. This
> is an unacceptable claim as it involves consumer choice.
>
> I
> ask how does this device differ from the huge music
> collections most of us have made cassettes from for nearly
> 30 years?
>

I hope I am following/understanding you by my response. If not just let me know. To answer your last sentence of how the iPod differs from our old way of collecting music.

Answer: Our old way of collecting music required a fairly major purchase (CD cost $16 bucks or more) at a physical location (music store). We would wait to hear something on the radio that we liked then go out and buy it and get maybe two or so songs that we liked on that CD/album.

In essence our buying habits were directed by what radio stations played before we made a significant purchase.

That has all changed today. Radio no longer has control of what we listen to. We no longer wait to hear new music on the radio before we purchase. We turn to the Internet and do inexpensive downloads from the comfort of our homes.

Radio no longer controls what "new" or "fresh" music we listen to and radio will never get that control back... that control is gone forever. Radio needs to accept that and embrace that.

We, the people, are in effect the music directors now and radio needs to play our play lists. There is all kinds of fresh music being downloaded off the Internet that radio needs to play. Radio no longer needs contrived marketing research for music and songs.... the people are already picking what they like. Radio needs to jump on the bandwagon and start playing what is popular in downloads on the Internet.

If radio ignores this, the listeners will simply ignore radio.

I personally believe it's a great time for radio as this is truly a turning point to put radio back into the hands of the people/listeners and out of the hands of consultants with tired and constricted play lists.

JMHO of course.

I
> ask how does this device differ from the huge music
> collections most of us have made cassettes from for nearly
> 30 years?
>

I think it just has made us more impatient. We can get the song we want really quickly because an iPod will hold hundreds of them. With tapes, we had to keep track of them and fast forward/rewind. But you are right, radio has had to compete with other forms of music storage for years. I just think now that it has become incredibly more convenient to store and carry our favorite music, radio is going to have to truly jump out and offer something unique. This includes offering the music people really want as well as entertaining and informative DJs.

JB

> > I guess the point I am trying to make is: "Is it not more
> > sensible to figure out what people are listening to than
> to
> > track the percent of people who are listening to you?"
> One
> > method is pro-active and the second method is post-active
> > and then trying to tweak things in the dark to get the
> > numbers up. (the blind leading the blind)
> >
> > Thanks for saying I "nailed it!" I wasn't sure how my
> post
> > would go over but that is the best compliment possible!
> >
>
> Hey guys,
> I've really liked reading your ideas in this thread. Okay,
> I may make a few enemies on this board by admitting this,
> but I am an accountant myself (although I'm not tied to a
> specific industry and certainly NOT the radio industry :)
>
> Anyway, in defense of "my kind"...I think most accountants,
> believe it or not, will actually agree with the statement
> that "you have to spend money to make money". There's been
> discussion about that on this board and I wholeheartedly
> agree. The only thing is, you have to make sure that you
> are making wise choices and spending your money
> effectively...the benefit you receive should exceed the cost
> you are paying.
>
> I think if a station/company can jump on an innovative idea
> like Radiodial's, then they may seize an opportunity that
> the other stations don't see. I had never thought of the
> ratings system as is as retroactive instead of proactive,
> but that is exactly what it is.
>
> If a station can spend the money up front to differentiate
> itself from others, it can turn that investment into some
> really good earnings. These earnings could be used to hire
> the best talent that will help keep the station fresh and
> responsive to its local community. I know that is a little
> idealistic, but I also think that "terrestrial" radio, as a
> whole, does need to do something if it is to differentiate
> itself from other forms of media and technology, such as
> iPods, internet radio, and satellite. If it doesn't, then
> it will have to share the same profit pool with more and
> more of those type competitors.
>
> Personally, I have enjoyed listening to my MP3 collection
> more and more, but am willing to stick with stations like
> KIOL only because they have personalities that I can relate
> to. I'd listen to CC a little more, but every time I get
> attached to their personalities (such as Steve & Jeff on the
> Buzz, Walton & Johnson on Rock 101, and now the latest,
> Joanie on KKRW) they get the dreadful CC ax! :( So...I've
> stopped listening to Clear Channel and have not missed it!
>
> Okay, sorry for the rant there, but my point is that without
> local personalities, I don't see the purpose in listening to
> local radio. I can get the exact music I want right away
> with the technology that's out there..and take it with me
> almost anywhere! Hopefully some radio management types will
> realize that.
>
> I like what someone (I forget who) said in a post...I think
> it was on this board...it's sad that "Kroger Radio" is just
> as good as many actual radio stations that are out there
> today!
>
> JB
>

I work for Kroger and i have to say that they play some good music however most of it is soft rock they do throw in some top 40 every now and then, also one day i ment to post and ask what yall thought of The Radio at Kroger b/c to me it "Kind of" sounds like the Jack FM that yall are talking about, althought i have never listened to JACK FM or BOB FM but from what i get its a lot of the newer songs mixed with some old songs(ex-from what i can remember what they played "Graduation-Friends Forever" followed by "Putting on the Ritz").I would just like to know yalls thoughts on this, and in case you forgot the question b/c i rambled on so much, here it is. what do yall think of The Radio at Kroger?

>
> I work for Kroger and i have to say that they play some good
> music however most of it is soft rock they do throw in some
> top 40 every now and then, also one day i ment to post and
> ask what yall thought of The Radio at Kroger b/c to me it
> "Kind of" sounds like the Jack FM that yall are talking
> about, althought i have never listened to JACK FM or BOB FM
> but from what i get its a lot of the newer songs mixed with
> some old songs(ex-from what i can remember what they played
> "Graduation-Friends Forever" followed by "Putting on the
> Ritz").I would just like to know yalls thoughts on this, and
> in case you forgot the question b/c i rambled on so much,
> here it is. what do yall think of The Radio at Kroger?
>

Yes...I've listened to Jack FM Dallas online as well as Bob-FM out of Austin. Kroger radio does kind of remind me of them, but you're right, it is a little softer rock (at Kroger). Although, I have heard "Wild, Wild Life" by Talking Heads as well was "Wild Nights" by John Mellencamp at Kroger (it's a coincidence that I happened to remmeber those two and they both contain the word 'wild'). Usually there is a nice surprise over the speakers at Kroger...it does seem like a Jack/Bob format. This sounds funny to mention this...but it is better than Randalls' "radio"... :)

JB

> >
> > I work for Kroger and i have to say that they play some
> good
> > music however most of it is soft rock they do throw in
> some
> > top 40 every now and then, also one day i ment to post and
>
> > ask what yall thought of The Radio at Kroger b/c to me it
> > "Kind of" sounds like the Jack FM that yall are talking
> > about, althought i have never listened to JACK FM or BOB
> FM
> > but from what i get its a lot of the newer songs mixed
> with
> > some old songs(ex-from what i can remember what they
> played
> > "Graduation-Friends Forever" followed by "Putting on the
> > Ritz").I would just like to know yalls thoughts on this,
> and
> > in case you forgot the question b/c i rambled on so much,
> > here it is. what do yall think of The Radio at Kroger?
> >
>
> Yes...I've listened to Jack FM Dallas online as well as
> Bob-FM out of Austin. Kroger radio does kind of remind me
> of them, but you're right, it is a little softer rock (at
> Kroger). Although, I have heard "Wild, Wild Life" by
> Talking Heads as well was "Wild Nights" by John Mellencamp
> at Kroger (it's a coincidence that I happened to remmeber
> those two and they both contain the word 'wild'). Usually
> there is a nice surprise over the speakers at Kroger...it
> does seem like a Jack/Bob format. This sounds funny to
> mention this...but it is better than Randalls' "radio"...
> :)
>
> JB
>

You know the radio sucks in Houston when we are talking about how good the music is at your local Kroger.

> You know the radio sucks in Houston when we are talking
> about how good the music is at your local Kroger.

It's time for the consultants and the PD's to go grocery shopping!

Or maybe instead of Jack-Bob, we can get K-Roger FM in Houston.

SW

New radio-info.com forum--the "Grocery Store" format!

>
>

Yep!

Maybe we can start posts like we had a few months ago, where people were listing playlists from various stations and asking "would you listen to this station?"

I can see it now:

"Hey guys, I was at the Kroger on Westheimer yesterday!
This is what they played!

4:06 PM Talking Heads- Wild Wild Life
4:11 PM John Mellencamp- Wild Nights
4:15 PM etc.....

Why don't we EVER hear those songs at Randalls? Whoever the PD for Randalls radio is, he or she needs to go!!!"

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by JBhouston71 on 06/30/05 09:17 PM.</FONT></P>

>
>

LOL! So true.

You can almost hear the fat lady in the background warming up her vocals for Houston radio.

>

I was in HEB the other day and was thinking to myself that Joey Ramone was spinning in his grave because Rock & Roll High School was on the Muzak, and it wasn't because a stocking clerk had put his transistor radio up to the microphone.<P ID="signature">______________
...co-moderator of the Satellite Radio, Phoenix, and San Diego boards...</P>

Re: New radio-info.com forum--the "Grocery Store" format!

>
> Why don't we EVER hear those songs at Randalls? Whoever the
> PD for Randalls radio is, he or she needs to go!!!"
>

As funny as this thread has become about grocery store music I bet if Arbitron tested grocery stores Kroger and Randalls and such they would have 8.0 plus ratings.

> >
> > Why don't we EVER hear those songs at Randalls? Whoever
> the
> > PD for Randalls radio is, he or she needs to go!!!"
> >
>
> As funny as this thread has become about grocery store music
> I bet if Arbitron tested grocery stores Kroger and Randalls
> and such they would have 8.0 plus ratings.
>

Nope. HEB would nail them both in the TSL. Since they rearranged their stores and put in all the specialty stuff, it takes me an hour to run in and find three things. Brilliant strategy!

*giggling at the way this thread has turned*
J

> > As funny as this thread has become about grocery store
> music
> > I bet if Arbitron tested grocery stores Kroger and
> Randalls
> > and such they would have 8.0 plus ratings.
> >
>
> Nope. HEB would nail them both in the TSL. Since they
> rearranged their stores and put in all the specialty stuff,
> it takes me an hour to run in and find three things.
> Brilliant strategy!
>
> *giggling at the way this thread has turned*
> J
>

LMAO at everyone's posts! I am glad I started reading radio-info, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the TSL joke!

Albertsons, when it was here in Houston, was bad for me. Instead of nice, straight, logical aisles, they had areas like "snack central" and "beverage alley" or something like that...I always had trouble finding stuff there! I forget what their musical playlist was like-but they seemed to have a good morning show... :)

Anyway, I have to say I got the idea for bringing this up (grocery store radio) from some other board. I forget where. I just thought it was a funny idea...

JB

> > You know the radio sucks in Houston when we are talking
> > about how good the music is at your local Kroger.
>
> It's time for the consultants and the PD's to go grocery
> shopping!
>
> Or maybe instead of Jack-Bob, we can get K-Roger FM in
> Houston.
>
> SW
>
LMAO! I love the K-Roger idea.

Re: Grocery Store Radio (KGSR)

> LMAO! I love the K-Roger idea.
>

The grocery stores, certainly, shouldn't be knocked! The HEB in Sugar Land, at 59 & Grand Parkway, plays some great 80's stuff. But, let's not forget the Sugar Land Wal-mart. They have a great variety, spanning the '60's, '70's and '80's. It's a quirky mix, but, when you're in the store for an hour and a half, filling a prescription, buying oil and filters, checking out the sporting goods and picking up groceries, a good variety, like theirs, is just the ticket. Has anyone wondered, yet, just where these grocery chains and retail outlets get their programming people? Wanna bet they were booted by some big, soul-less broadcasting conglomerate? I think the grocery stores should offer a download service. Bring in your iPod, and for a couple of dollars, you can plug in and load up while you shop.

Re: Grocery Store Radio (KGSR)

> > LMAO! I love the K-Roger idea.
> >
>
> The grocery stores, certainly, shouldn't be knocked! The
> HEB in Sugar Land, at 59 & Grand Parkway, plays some great
> 80's stuff. But, let's not forget the Sugar Land Wal-mart.
> They have a great variety, spanning the '60's, '70's and
> '80's. It's a quirky mix, but, when you're in the store for
> an hour and a half, filling a prescription, buying oil and
> filters, checking out the sporting goods and picking up
> groceries, a good variety, like theirs, is just the ticket.
> Has anyone wondered, yet, just where these grocery chains
> and retail outlets get their programming people? Wanna bet
> they were booted by some big, soul-less broadcasting
> conglomerate? I think the grocery stores should offer a
> download service. Bring in your iPod, and for a couple of
> dollars, you can plug in and load up while you shop.
>

I always wonder who programs Eckerd Radio. You get a pretty good mix of 70's through 90's, plus lots of soft, comforting voices telling you about how much the pharmacy cares and the best way to stock up for the holidays. Toss in some local traffic and weather and it would almost sound real (or as real as some radio, these days).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom