• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's official: XM/Sirius merge!

Sirius and XM finally announce their "merger of equals."
The terms leave each company with 50% of the combined company - though XM CEO Hugh Panero will leave after the merger is consummated. The surviving top brass will be Gary Parsons from XM (as Chairman) and Mel Karmazin from Sirius (as CEO). Mel calls the merger "the next logical step in the evolution of audio entertainment." Press Release at www.xmradio.com.

I think this merger is dead on arrival. The FCC will be reluctant to agree to it without the divestiture of one of the satellite radio licences - which makes the technological aspects of merging the two systems nearly impossible.

Even if the FCC agrees, my guess is the justice department will say no. If the justice department says yes, then I think the Democrat controlled congress would step in to put the breaks on it. If that didn't happen, then I think the NAB would file a federal lawsuit to stop it on the grounds that it creates a monopoly.

I would be all in favor of it if they were to allow local market radio (based on where you live) Just like they do on Television... on satellite radio or at least let college radio on satellite... unfortunately you would have to change the FCC rulings ...
well theres my two cents

tested said:
I think this merger is dead on arrival. The FCC will be reluctant to agree to it without the divestiture of one of the satellite radio licences - which makes the technological aspects of merging the two systems nearly impossible.

Even if the FCC agrees, my guess is the justice department will say no. If the justice department says yes, then I think the Democrat controlled congress would step in to put the breaks on it. If that didn't happen, then I think the NAB would file a federal lawsuit to stop it on the grounds that it creates a monopoly.

tested said:

Best damn post on this subject. This deal is dead unless some serious arm bending happens.

Media Hack Chris | SDR said:
tested said:

Best damn post on this subject. This deal is dead unless some serious arm bending happens.

I think that XM and Sirius have been in communications with the different government involved. They would have to have some idea of what each angency needs for the deal to have a chance to go through. The statement by the FCC a month or 2 ago could been as much a statement to avoid a pannic as much as any other reason.

The timming of this is interesting. Two months ago today people were doing last minute Christmas shopping. For a month after that is a possibility for refunds. You allow this story to grow legs before today's official announcement you may have a run on electronics stores. Kieth Overal has given us our first memorable quote for the media. He said something like which system will be the betamax of 2007.

As far as any changes to the way radio opperates I'll believe em when I see em.

If the deal does get shot down might there be other ways for one or the other to eliminate the competition? Since they both lose money it would seem like one could be shut down, satellite time could be sold back and the physical assetts could be sold to the surviving company for an undisclosed price. Am I missing something?

I never could see satellite radio unless I did allot of long distance travel. Then it would be good to lock it in on one station and carry it all the way!

Federal regulators will offer their objections but in the end it will be approved. The problem I have is the expected Karmazin-izing of the music channels once the deal is closed...meaning tighter playlists and satellite radio sounding just like terrrestrial radio. Once the deal is completed, the focus should be on the music channels...the talk, news and sports channels will all be under one roof. XM's music library is so deep and hopefully it will be utilized and hopefully the personalities on the XM 50s, 60s and 70s channels will remain.....my four cents!!!!!

I never could see satellite radio unless I did allot of long distance travel. Then it would be good to lock it in on one station and carry it all the way!

That's not the point. There are choices in music that aren't available in every city of the country. That's what XM is good for. Also it allows you to catch syndicated shows that aren't available in every market.

Adric1963 said:

That's not the point. There are choices in music that aren't available in every city of the country. That's what XM is good for. Also it allows you to catch syndicated shows that aren't available in every market.

Point taken and in a way I already subsrcibe to XM via DirecTV. We don't get all the channels but most of what they have doesn't thrill me Watercolors is great and so is the '60's channel. Cinimajic or whatever they call it is interesting. What syndicated shows are good in your opinion. I'm not fan of one sided political talk shows.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom