• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's Official: KFWhyEye-FM

7/02/10 The Nearly Bald One Show Approx 8:45am - "...listeners ask when will we be on FM......it's coming..."

This is Dr Akbar and I approve this message.

Did he say where on the dial (95.5?) or when this is happening?

KeithE4 said:
Did he say where on the dial (95.5?) or when this is happening?

uhhhh.....96~Nine winner
99~Nine winner
102~Five winner..kind of
104~Seven winner

So that leaves just one more Clear Channel FM to go. hmmmm.

As far as "when" goes, Los Buckeye Boyz think it'll be one of those surprise switcheroos where all of a sudden the music (for the heck of it let's say smooth jazz) is replaced by Rush Radio FM. 4th of July sounds good to us.

Dr. Akbar said:
As far as "when" goes, Los Buckeye Boyz think it'll be one of those surprise switcheroos where all of a sudden the music (for the heck of it let's say smooth jazz) is replaced by Rush Radio FM. 4th of July sounds good to us.

One less pre-set needed. :mad: :( :'(

If quinientos cincuenta KayEffWhyeye moves to noventa y cinco punto cinco, that would work out great for me. My car doesn't do ancient modulation. The only problem is I lose my preset for Piolín por la Mañana, el show #1 del pais. Charlatán!

Dr. Akbar said:
As far as "when" goes...(snip)...4th of July sounds good to us.

Meaning right afterwards, as in Tuesday July 6? The Nearly Bald One--speaking for
himself and the rich bored housewife--said they'd be back on Tuesday. I guess on
Monday he and Kim will be hosting a holiday BBQ for all the "friends" he speaks of
in his live read testimonial spots. Don't know if the Prattster is also invited. ;)

BTW, I think it was All-American Music Rejoiner Friday. Did he use American Pie? ::)

And shifting gears slightly, it's another classic rock staple Block Party Weekend on
your classic rock classic hits station, 94-point-five KOOL-FM!

On a more somber note, if KFYI does go to a 95-point-five-fifty simulcast, what becomes
of Melissa, Tony and other local staffers at KYOT? :(

So will Geoffrey Holder still do the voiceovers? ;D

"Russsshhhhhh Radioooooo Ninety Five point Fiiiiiive. Kay Effffff Wyyyyyyyye Eyyyyyye Effffff Emmmmm"

oldiesfan6479 said:
Dr. Akbar said:
As far as "when" goes...(snip)...4th of July sounds good to us.

Meaning right afterwards, as in Tuesday July 6? The Nearly Bald One--speaking for
himself and the rich bored housewife--said they'd be back on Tuesday. I guess on
Monday he and Kim will be hosting a holiday BBQ for all the "friends" he speaks of
in his live read testimonial spots. Don't know if the Prattster is also invited. ;)

All depends on whether "Dave Pratt" is his real name ::) Doesn't matter if the switch is made 7/4 or 7/5...low listening levels and a great time to iron out the bugs before the bored housewife returns on Tuesday.

BTW, I think it was All-American Music Rejoiner Friday. Did he use American Pie? ::)

The Nurse and I recall TNBO saying Babinski selected Friday's bumper music. We still don't why the station's "sidekick" isn't given a shift as he's a riot!

And shifting gears slightly, it's another classic rock staple Block Party Weekend on
your classic rock classic hits station, 94-point-five KOOL-FM!

That's a shocker :eek:

On a more somber note, if KFYI does go to a 95-point-five-fifty simulcast, what becomes
of Melissa, Tony and other local staffers at KYOT? :(

Tony does a ton of production for the cluster. Not sure what continuing role Melissa will play, but maybe she can help Dave Pratt sort out the invitation list to his next barbecue.

Haven't found any news of this impending flip! Will it simply be a simlcast of the current KFYI or will it re-brand as Rush Radio 95.5?

All CC stations that flipped to Rush Radio have Beck, Rush and Sean airing consecutively. Premiere's Big 3 are the backbone of the format. All are on FM, except for Boston. Current Rush Radio stations are in Raleigh, NC, Greensboro, NC, New Orleans and Boston. If KFYI does re-brand as Rush Radio, they'll get Beck from KTAR.

It was going to happen sooner or later, assuming it's happening! :)

Dr. Akbar said:
7/02/10 The Nearly Bald One Show Approx 8:45am - "...listeners ask when will we be on FM......it's coming..."

Which means nothing. After all, Barry didn't say what decade it would be coming in.

However, as of this writing, cybersquatters are free to buy up rushradio955.com and 955rushradio.com as they are not registered.

Somebody's holding 955kfyi.com at Godaddy and has been since 2009, but that's not where Clear Channel buys its domain names.

Replacing the Coyote with Rush Radio is as perfect an example of circling the toilet as I can think of.

landtuna said:
Replacing the Coyote with Rush Radio is as perfect an example of circling the toilet as I can think of.

Maybe, but our furry friend is gonna get flushed anyway ::)

radioguy39nj said:
Haven't found any news of this impending flip!

Why would you doubt this?

In the last few months I've read quite a few things on this board that turned out to be true!

I mean, who could forget when rumors had KOOL PD Kris Abrams being shown the door back in February, and then he was?

What about those "major" management changes that were going to happen at 840 N. Central back in May? Remember how that all came true?

And I'm sure we all remember what a blast we had at that BBQ at Pratt's house! ;)

I don't know if I can take the screeching of Michelle in FM. I swear, all she does these days is repeat what Barry says, just after he says it, and then screams in slurry madness about something.

Ditch her.

KFYI FM? Good move, will suck if you want to listen while driving out of town, like I did today...got so bad I listened to a NPR station in Yuma...dios mio!

landtuna said:

Why would you say that? AM news talkers have to move to FM and other, additional, distribution channels fairly soon or their revenue will dry up. Why would they not take an FM that is increasingly less relevant and move a format that can be revived by simply puting it on FM onto that FM's frequency?

I had a lot of fun at Dave's BBQ, with exception of my burned steak and Pratt's dogs dry humping Bobo The Clown. I'm still in therapy after that unfortunate episode. :-[

DavidEduardo said:
landtuna said:

Why would you say that? AM news talkers have to move to FM and other, additional, distribution channels fairly soon or their revenue will dry up. Why would they not take an FM that is increasingly less relevant and move a format that can be revived by simply puting it on FM onto that FM's frequency?

Speaking purely as a listener who finds The Coyote one of the very few "beautiful" music services available in my market on radio today I find a format switch to talk radio despicable. We already have several talk/sports radio formats here and don't need another - whether on FM or not. From a technical perspective music formats need FM. Talking heads do not. Especially the stooges of Rush Radio.

landtuna said:
Speaking purely as a listener who finds The Coyote one of the very few "beautiful" music services available in my market on radio today I find a format switch to talk radio despicable. We already have several talk/sports radio formats here and don't need another - whether on FM or not. From a technical perspective music formats need FM. Talking heads do not. Especially the stooges of Rush Radio.

This is where the major proponents of HD Radio (including Clear Channel) dropped the ball. They have this technology that doubles the amount of possible music formats, but not many people know that it exists. Say that they move Smooth Jazz to 95.5 (or, more compatibly, 99.9) HD2: will the loyal listeners, doctors offices, etc. know that it exists if they don't know how to market it, at a time when receivers/tuners are more readily available at an electronics store for $100?

The other option is for Smooth Jazz to find a new home on a weaker signal. The management at (as an example) 103.9 could probably double their current ratings share, while attract more "affluent" advertisers. The only downside would be that those on the northwest side - Sun City, etc. won't be able to pull it in without static.

Ford said:
radioguy39nj said:
Haven't found any news of this impending flip!

Why would you doubt this?

In the last few months I've read quite a few things on this board that turned out to be true!

I mean, who could forget when rumors had KOOL PD Kris Abrams being shown the door back in February, and then he was?

What about those "major" management changes that were going to happen at 840 N. Central back in May? Remember how that all came true?

And I'm sure we all remember what a blast we had at that BBQ at Pratt's house! ;)

I don't doubt that KFYI will move to FM. Talk formats are moving to FM in seemingly every market outside the top 3 (NY, LA, Chicago). I'm only saying there is currently no official word of such a flip, i.e. newspaper or announcement from CC. ;)

Eric Stein said:
This is where the major proponents of HD Radio (including Clear Channel) dropped the ball. They have this technology that doubles the amount of possible music formats, but not many people know that it exists. Say that they move Smooth Jazz to 95.5 (or, more compatibly, 99.9) HD2: will the loyal listeners, doctors offices, etc. know that it exists if they don't know how to market it, at a time when receivers/tuners are more readily available at an electronics store for $100?

I don't know many people outside this board who will spend any amount of money for digital radio. If someone comes up with a "front end" DTV-like converter I might try that but I am not about to replace my high-end stereo to provide a marginal technology which may disappear tomorrow.

Eric Stein said:
The other option is for Smooth Jazz to find a new home on a weaker signal. The management at (as an example) 103.9 could probably double their current ratings share, while attract more "affluent" advertisers. The only downside would be that those on the northwest side - Sun City, etc. won't be able to pull it in without static.

Another signal would work for me provided it is strong enough for adequate coverage. But I take issue with your Sun City demo. Three people in my household listen to KYOT - me (olde farte), wifey (not so Olde Farte) and 20-year old daughter (who was the one, several years ago, who insisted on listening in the car and got wifey and me hooked). I don't know what The Coyote's demographics are, they may skew older, but I assume there are younger listeners as well.

And I have no insight on what KYOT's revenue's or expenses are but posts on this board indicate they run a cost effective operation and have reasonable revenues. If that is true I don't know why they would take a proven, although niche, format and replace it with a second tier talker like KayEffWhineI - other than money of course......

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom