• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's 2015! Time to get rid of the '70s.

Can't help but think that most of the backlash over "You Light Up My Life" is due to Debby Boone's version "winning out" and becoming the hit, over the Casey Cisyk version, which is the one that Didi Conn lip-synched to in the movie. Maybe folks think that the Boone family "threw their weight around" to make Debby's version the hit. Of course, Boone's version was on Warner Brothers, so maybe WB was able to promote it better. Not sure what label the Cisyk version was on. But this particular backlash might explain why Boone never had another hit. Cisyk's best claim to fame was probably singing "have you driven a Ford lately?" in those commercials from the '80s.

Of course, it could also be backlash that "You Light Up My Life" was #1 for 10 weeks in a year of mostly single-week chart-toppers.

Being that Debby's daddy hadn't had a hit in ten years or more, I doubt the Boone family had much "weight" to "throw around" in plugging her record. That said, I suspect "You Light Up My Life" was subject to something similar to what I call the novelty-song syndrome; where a song that catches the public's fancy (like Disco Duck or the Chipmunk Song) gets requested and played so often that DJS, who have to play it over and over for a listening audience that's constantly changing, burn out on it and hate it, and it ends up becoming a musical "punch line."

Don't ever become a country music DJ. There a SLEW of such songs. "Elvira," "Swingin'," "Achy Breaky Heart," "Redneck Woman," and probably some others that I have long since forgotten. If you tire of songs easily, NEVER become a country music DJ. Even if you initially liked some of these, you will quickly get sick of them.

Of course, it could also be backlash that "You Light Up My Life" was #1 for 10 weeks in a year of mostly single-week chart-toppers.

124 number one singles from 1974-1977, 81 of them, one weekers!! Crazy, huh?

You'd think the backlash wouldn't be so bad for Debby, considering she is really a contemporary Christian artist, along with Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith in the early 90's. Even Amy had a #1 single with "Baby Baby" in '91.

Their ventures into secular contemporary music should be a milestone and hitting the tops of the charts, to top it off. I certainly give them credit. "You Light Up My Life" was also #1 on KRTH weekly survey and the Boss 30 KHJ surveys in L.A., and no doubt, other radio station charts around the country as well.

Not sure what label the Cisyk version was on.

Kvitka "Kacey" Cisyk recorded the song for the soundtrack album, which was released by Arista. I presume the same label released the single (I was only barely able to find the album release info, on Discogs, which had no references for the 45).

She was a trained coloratura opera singer and also recorded the "have you driven a Ford lately" commercial jingle that was ubiquitous from 1981 until her passing (at age 44, from breast cancer) in 1998.

I wouldn't say that Debby Boone never had another hit, just not Pop. She made it to #11 Country in 1979, with a song I remember playing and actually topped that chart in 1980.

Can't help but think that most of the backlash over "You Light Up My Life" is due to Debby Boone's version "winning out" and becoming the hit, over the Casey Cisyk version, which is the one that Didi Conn lip-synched to in the movie.

Never knew someone else sang it.

Also, what movie?

Last edited:
You'd think the backlash wouldn't be so bad for Debby, considering she is really a contemporary Christian artist, along with Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith in the early 90's. Even Amy had a #1 single with "Baby Baby" in '91.

"Baby Baby", Amy Grant's pop crossover hit, was when I got hooked on her music. I was around 13 at that time.

Last edited:

Also, what movie?

The song "You Light Up My Life" originally came from a 1977 movie of the same title, in which it was lip-synced by Didi Conn to "Kacey" Cizyk's vocal. Joseph Brooks, who produced, directed, and wrote the movie also composed the song. Brooks had a successful career as a commercial jingle composer in the 1960's and 70's. (Brooks committed suicide in 2011, before he could be brought to trial on multiple charges of rape and sexual assault.)

Also, what movie?
You have already gotten your answer, so I will add additional information.

LeAnn Rimes did a cover version, which became a minor hit for her in 1997, presumably aimed at fans her own age who weren't old enough to remember the original.

Cisyk's version was actually thought to have been sung by Conn in the movie, until the lip-synch was revealed. (Of course, about a year later, we got to hear Conn's ACTUAL singing voice (which really wasn't that much different from her speaking voice!), when she sang the line "was it love at first sight?" in "Summer Nights" from Grease.)

When I was looking through that link, I saw that Avid Listener's status is "suspended".

Last edited:
Oh, I can be! Just bring up any topic about KRTH music and see what happens KM...:)

How about this: in the January book, KRTH is in a 4-way tie for third place in rating in 25-54 in the LA market with a 0.4! That comes as they shortened the playlist a bit more.

How about this: in the January book, KRTH is in a 4-way tie for third place in rating in 25-54 in the LA market with a 0.4! That comes as they shortened the playlist a bit more.

4.0 I think you meant. Yeah, it goes to show us that their core audience is happy with what KRTH is doing lately. I've always preferred more, but large stations like KRTH no longer appeal to me musically. That's just the way it is now.

But eventually the shorter playlist could backfire as listeners tire of the same ole song. They are a good station, just not for me as much.

So what's their playlist size now?

Don't worry, this won't turn into another long discussion.

Last edited:
4.0 I think you meant. Yeah, it goes to show us that their core audience is happy with what KRTH is doing lately. I've always preferred more, but large stations like KRTH no longer appeal to me musically. That's just the way it is now.

But eventually the shorter playlist could backfire as listeners tire of the same ole song. They are a good station, just not for me as much.

So what's their playlist size now?

Don't worry, this won't turn into another long discussion.

He did specify "rating", which is a percentage of the available audience, as opposed to "share", which refers to actual numbers listening. I don't see "rating" used much in radio, probably because it sounds so incredibly small. When we talk about radio ratings, it's usually expressed in "shares".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom