• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is WISX (Mix 106.1) what killed WBEN (Ben FM)?

R

RadioPhillyFan

Ben used to rate 3.0's - now it's lower 2.0's

How'd this happen?

RadioPhillyFan said:
Ben used to rate 3.0's - now it's lower 2.0's

How'd this happen?

Variance.

Ben took a huge cume drop in the past two books. That seems like a fluke- I have a feeling they'll be back up.

Mix took a cume drop too, but actually rose in the ratings - also seems flukey.

I don't see Mix staying that far ahead of Ben in the future.

I wouldn't judge Ben on a Holiday book. B-101 was taking TSL from everyone. Maybe Ben more than others. January is a different story.

aindik said:
I wouldn't judge Ben on a Holiday book. B-101 was taking TSL from everyone. Maybe Ben more than others. January is a different story.

Hey, maybe one of those stations should consider going all-Christmas all the time, all year 'round! I wouldn't put such a move past anyone in the radio industry anymore...

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle the cash register!

S said:
I don't see Mix staying that far ahead of Ben in the future.

Same for me.

I think Mix won't pass a 3.5 at most, and Ben may rise back up soon.

I wouldn't think clear channel is capable of pulling ratings like that anymore.... I love how EVERYONE jumps the gun and looks at the holiday ratings before doing there homework and making a comment.

dlnj99 said:
I wouldn't think clear channel is capable of pulling ratings like that anymore.... I love how EVERYONE jumps the gun and looks at the holiday ratings before doing there homework and making a comment.

Jan book is in, and has been in.

And last I checked, Ben is still breathing. ;)

Maybe this is a long-term trend, maybe an anamoly....and maybe irrelevant.

Ben needs to stop being a Hot AC and focus on it's original mission as an adult hits station. It's seems theres a lot of Daughtry, Lady Gaga, Colbie Callait, Kelly Clarkson and Pink (yeah I know she's local, but still) on the station. If I wanted to hear that I'd go to B101, Mix or PST. They seem to be light on the 90's stuff too. I think they're targeting the wrong audience. They should go after the younger end of WOGL and WMGK by playing an 80's-90's heavy playlist with less emphasis on the 2000's. They could still pull some listening from B and Mix as well if done right. It might help...

fmradio1 said:
Ben needs to stop being a Hot AC and focus on it's original mission as an adult hits station. It's seems theres a lot of Daughtry, Lady Gaga, Colbie Callait, Kelly Clarkson and Pink (yeah I know she's local, but still) on the station. If I wanted to hear that I'd go to B101, Mix or PST. They seem to be light on the 90's stuff too. I think they're targeting the wrong audience. They should go after the younger end of WOGL and WMGK by playing an 80's-90's heavy playlist with less emphasis on the 2000's. They could still pull some listening from B and Mix as well if done right. It might help...
[/quote

Most AC's modified themselves.

Mix was more of a 80s/90s Hot AC, now it's a CHR-leaning variety Hot AC. PST was a CHR, now it's a Hot Ac leaning chr - same with WSTW.
B101 has altered themselves for years between soft ac to hot ac to ac to oldies to chr leaning hot ac.

fmradio1 said:

BEN was just that several months ago, but then they started adding a bunch of Hot AC recurrents that Mix and B have beat to death. Clearly it hasn't worked.

WSTW is a CHR, that leans Hot-AC. They call themselves a Top-40 at least.

Ben still has a pulse. A little disoriented perhaps, but still a pulse.

(If you want to talk about something that is dead, there's a thread on the Delaware board...)

WBEB Oldies? uh, no .
Softer AC when Sunny was around? Sure.
Leaning more Hot AC now? Sure.
Leaning tward CHR? uh... only cause Hot AC's seem to be doing this.
aultering for years ? yep, I agree.

John Holcomb II said:
WBEB Oldies? uh, no .
Softer AC when Sunny was around? Sure.
Leaning more Hot AC now? Sure.
Leaning tward CHR? uh... only cause Hot AC's seem to be doing this.
aultering for years ? yep, I agree.

I must admit that I was exaggerating my point.
BEB has really never been oldies, it just leaned that way pre-christmas 2011.

and I mean what you'd call oldies on B101 like 80's/90's real oldies is anywher from 50's-70's. (sadly it's pushing to late 60's - 80's)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom