• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is this adult contemporary?

• 2:34 PM Flashdance—Irene Cara
  • 2:30 PM All Summer Long—Kid Rock
  • 2:26 PM Don't You Want Me—Human League
  • 2:23 PM All I Need Is A Miracle—Mike + The Mechanics
  • 2:19 PM Miami—Will Smith
  • 2:16 PM We're Not Gonna Take It—Twisted Sister
  • 2:07 PM Your Love—Outfield
  • 2:03 PM Firework—Katy Perry
  • 1:59 PM Don't You Forget About Me—Simple Minds
  • 1:55 PM I'm So Excited—Pointer Sisters
  • 1:51 PM My Life—Billy Joel
  • 1:47 PM Home—Daughtry
  • 1:45 PM We Got the Beat—Go-Go's
  • 1:35 PM 867-5309/Jenny—Tommy Tutone
  • 1:31 PM Electric Avenue—Eddy Grant
  • 1:29 PM Good Riddance—Green Day
  • 1:24 PM Bust A Move—Young M.C.
  • 1:21 PM Straight From The Heart—Bryan Adams
  • 1:18 PM One Week—Barenaked Ladies
  • 1:14 PM If This Is It—Huey Lewis & The News
  • 1:05 PM Walking On Sunshine—Katrina & The Waves
  • 1:02 PM Crazy in Love—Beyonce
  • 12:58 PM You Give Love A Bad Name—Bon Jovi
  • 12:54 PM If I Could Turn Back Time—Cher
  • 12:50 PM Walking In Memphis—Marc Cohn
  • 12:46 PM Talking In Your Sleep—Romantics
  • 12:36 PM The Way It Is—Bruce Hornsby & The Rang
  • 12:32 PM What's Love Got To Do With It—Tina Turner
  • 12:29 PM Senorita—Shawn Mendes Camila Cabello
  • 12:25 PM Here I Go Again—Whitesnake
  • 12:20 PM Gypsy—Fleetwood Mac
  • 12:17 PM Right Here Right Now—Jesus Jones
  • 12:14 PM We Belong—Pat Benatar
  • 12:05 PM Take Me Home Tonight—Eddie Money
  • 12:02 PM Cruise—Florida-Georgia Line ft. Nelly
  • 11:59 AM La Isla Bonita—Madonna
  • 11:56 AM Faith—George Michael
  • 11:52 AM Bad—Michael Jackson
  • 11:48 AM Against All Odds—Phil Collins
  • 11:45 AM Party In The USA—Miley Cyrus
  • 11:42 AM Keep On Loving You—Reo Speedwagon
  • 11:40 AM Roll To Me—Del Amitri
  • 11:36 AM Celebration—Kool & The Gang
  • 11:32 AM Everybody Have Fun Tonight—Wang Chung
  • 11:22 AM Ho Hey—The Lumineers
  • 11:18 AM Quit Playing Games With My Heart—Backstreet Boys
  • 11:14 AM Hungry Like A Wolf—Duran Duran
  • 11:11 AM Raspberry Beret—Prince
  • 11:07 AM Jump—Van Halen
  • 11:04 AM Raise Your Glass—Pink
  • 11:00 AM Margaritaville—Jimmy Buffett
  • 10:56 AM Footloose—Kenny Loggins
  • 10:53 AM I Won't Back Down—Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
  • 10:49 AM Cold Hearted—Paula Abdul
  • 10:45 AM Dreams—Cranberries
  • 10:41 AM I Still Haven't Found What I'M Lookin For—U2

That's four hours on WKQC Charlotte. Not only are nearly all of the songs really old, but there's rap and even metal. Not heavy metal, but certainly harder rock than you would expect on an AC. On the other hand, plenty of the songs are also soft.

Seems like there should be another name for whatever this format is.

Is there anything that's actually current (contemporary) on this list? I'd call it "variety hits" or "adult hits," although I hesitated putting an "adult" label on teen ear candy like "Party in the U.S.A."

Is there anything that's actually current (contemporary) on this list? I'd call it "variety hits" or "adult hits," although I hesitated putting an "adult" label on teen ear candy like "Party in the U.S.A."
I don't know what's current but only five or six of those songs are from the past two decades.

Anyway, several weeks ago there was talk of the "other" AC changing formats because it was doing poorly and the owner focused on African-American audiences. Didn't happen.

And there's already a "We play anything" station in Charlotte, which is the only station in the latest 12-plus ratings our of these three that didn't take a huge hit last month.

I would describe it as "Soft Adult Hits". It could have to do with what pertains to the market itself. It might work there but not in other markets.

I would describe it as "Soft Adult Hits". It could have to do with what pertains to the market itself. It might work there but not in other markets.
This isn't "soft" anything because it has rap, Twisted Sister and Bon Jovi. Though some of the songs are soft.

If not for the few more recent hits I would have said classic hits. The only "classic hits" station in the market is actually classic rock, though the last time I checked that station played Marvin Gaye, The Temptations and America.

What really bothers me is The Charlotte Observer had a big article about this station adding Bob and Sheri and never once mentioned what kind of music the station played or, for that matter, why the headline said it was a better fit than WLNK.

I'd probably make this station a preset were I to move to Charlotte or visit there for an extended period. The music is bright but not sappy, and it's got enough variety in styles to keep from being boring.

A station like this is the softest option on my local radio dial. Very little from the last 10 years, mostly 80s with a rock lean with a few 70s and a fair chunk of 90s, including a probably 80% of the songs vchimpanzee listed. I like the mix.

Very similar to KCKC in Kansas City. Though I've even heard them play "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond in their mix. Kind of a mix between AC/Adult Hits.

This isn't "soft" anything because it has rap, Twisted Sister and Bon Jovi. Though some of the songs are soft.

If not for the few more recent hits I would have said classic hits. The only "classic hits" station in the market is actually classic rock, though the last time I checked that station played Marvin Gaye, The Temptations and America.

What really bothers me is The Charlotte Observer had a big article about this station adding Bob and Sheri and never once mentioned what kind of music the station played or, for that matter, why the headline said it was a better fit than WLNK.
You're getting hung up on what used to qualify as "Adult Contemporary". You expect the music to be as soft as it was beginning in the 80s and ending about 12 years ago. If a song brings back fond memories from one's younger years, it only matters that they still like the song, despite whether or not the song has an edge. Times change. Top 40 stations used to daypart songs. I don't think that exists at all anymore.
'

You're getting hung up on what used to qualify as "Adult Contemporary". You expect the music to be as soft as it was beginning in the 80s and ending about 12 years ago. If a song brings back fond memories from one's younger years, it only matters that they still like the song, despite whether or not the song has an edge. Times change. Top 40 stations used to daypart songs. I don't think that exists at all anymore.
'
He's thinking Soft AC. AC generally is "listenable" familiar music, while it appears this one is a blend with Adult Hits, which is more rock-driven and about variety.

'
These songs used to be adult contemporary. They still can be a part of a format that has newer songs.

This is from my last post listing songs played on WEZV Myrtle Beach, which was co-owned with the last AC station there that leaned toward current hits before that station went all talk. Like K-104.7 it has a lot of older songs but many of the songs are newer. WEZV is actually somewhat softer than some other AC stations that actually list last songs played but this list from last Fall, which is not complete because there's no list on the web site, and was not back then, will give you some idea of what I think AC should sound like these days. I had to tune in often enough and look up lyrics when I didn't know the song to come up with this list.

"I Want to Know What Love Is" Foreigner
"I'll Stand by You" Pretenders
"10000 Hours" Dan + Shay and Justin Bieber
"Lovefool" Cardigans
"I Love Rock and Roll" Joan Jett
"Mirrors" Justin Timberlake
"Everything You Want" Vertical Horizon
"Only in My Dreams" Debbie Gibson
"All Summer Long" Kid Rock
"Pour Some Sugar on Me" Def Leppard
"Love Myself" Tracee Ellis Ross
"Don't Stop the Music" Rihanna
"Karma Chameleon" Culture Club
"A Million Dreams" Pink
"Before He Cheats" Carrie Underwood
"I Wish I Was Your Lover" Sophie B. Hawkins
"Blinding Lights" The Weeknd
"Hurts So Good" John Mellencamp
"All Star" Smash Mouth
"High Hopes" Panic! at the Disco
"Man in the Mirror" Michael Jackson
"Take My Breath Away" Berlin
"Hey, Soul Sister" Train
"Brown-Eyed Girl" Van Morrison
"Jumpin', Jumpin'" Destiny's Child
"You Make My Dreams" Hall & Oates
"Style" Taylor Swift
"Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" Wham!
"The Bones" Maren Morris
"Don't Dream It's Over" Crowded House
"Torn" Natalie Imbruglia
"Every Breath You Take" Police
"If I Can't Have You" Shawn Mendes
"If the World Was Ending" JP Saxe
"Hungry Like the Wolf" Duran Duran
"Teenage Dream" Katy Perry
"Rainbow" Kacey Masgraves
"Run-Around" Blues Traveler
"Fight Song" Rachel Platten
"Sweet but Psycho" Ava Max
"Margaritaville" Jimmy Buffett,
"Talking in Your Sleep" Romantics
"I Dare You" Kelly Clarkson
"Borderline" Madonna
"I Can Dream about You" Dan Hartman
"Send Her My Love" Journey
"Intentions" Justin Bieber
"Hard to Say I'm Sorry" Chicago
"Kiss" Prince
"Closer" Chainsmokers and Halsey
"Walk Like an Egyptian" Bangles
"Can't Stop the Feeling" Justin Timberlake
"Hungry Eyes" Eric Carmen
"Hold My Hand" Hootie & the Blowfish

You're getting hung up on what used to qualify as "Adult Contemporary".

Formats shift and change, based on lots of things, including market competition. It's not a genre, but then again what's considered "country" has shifted and changed over the years, and that confuses folks who expect it to be what it once was.

The format plays the songs that attract the audience that they can sell to advertisers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom