• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is this a pirate in Austin?

I have a friend visiting Austin and he spotted a 4 bay antenna on a pole next to the sign at the front entrance of a mexican restaurant... i found it on google maps, which is where this screen shot is from, but using radio locator I couldnt find a facility that seemed to fit

Capture.JPG

I have a friend visiting Austin and he spotted a 4 bay antenna on a pole next to the sign at the front entrance of a mexican restaurant... i found it on google maps, which is where this screen shot is from, but using radio locator I couldnt find a facility that seemed to fit

View attachment 6283
I've been through that intersection recently (Juan in a Million!). I don't believe that antnnea is actively in use. If I recall it was a last minute attempt at getting a translator or LPFM on the air and I think it ended not being used but for a very brief time. I can't remember which one off the top of my head, but i believe there was a dispute about it and pleadings. If I have time later, I'll look into it more deeply.

If you look back through the Street View history, the antenna was installed between July 2017 and August 2019.

Wow 1 watt? Reminds me a ton of K223CZ which might be the weakest licensed signal in Texas. Also how the heck would they have been able to get KMPI over the air when there’s KUT?

Wow 1 watt? Reminds me a ton of K223CZ which might be the weakest licensed signal in Texas. Also how the heck would they have been able to get KMPI over the air when there’s KUT?
102.5 KMAZ in Houston runs with 1 watts antenna is on top of a downtown building

102.5 KMAZ in Houston runs with 1 watts antenna is on top of a downtown building
Both of those translators has a much lower height. KMAZ can easily get out 20 miles if one of the many 102.5 translators is off.

Both of those translators has a much lower height. KMAZ can easily get out 20 miles if one of the many 102.5 translators is off.
Before all the 102.5 stations KMAZ I have picked with a decent signal I10 West 2 miles West Hwy 6 and 45 North like 2 miles North of 1960. Worst side of H Town for KMAZ is Southwest side with the antenna farm right next to MChard RD the antenna farm kills the signal.

Before all the 102.5 stations KMAZ I have picked with a decent signal I10 West 2 miles West Hwy 6 and 45 North like 2 miles North of 1960. Worst side of H Town for KMAZ is Southwest side with the antenna farm right next to MChard RD the antenna farm kills the signal.
It’s a shame you can’t even drive 610 without interference. But now there’s a 102.5 translator at the tower farm with no originating station.

KMAZ should be on the only station on 102.5 for like 50 to 65 miles

Looking at the picture, and considering nothing else, the picture makes me smile. It is a heart warming example of an FM station to serve a small community in rural America or another country. So close to the roof and the ground, RF safety compliance is a concern, but at 50 watts ERP, this could be safe and fine for a small isolated community.

As a visual, the picture captures the essence of small town broadcasting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom