• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is KCET Going Bankrupt?

T

Thomps2525

In 2010, KCET ended its affiliation with PBS because of a financial dispute. I don't think anyone considered that to be a wise move. Therefore I don't think that anyone will be surprised that KCET lost $7.4 million in 2012 and $12.5 million in 2013 and their auditor expresses doubt that the station can survive. Here is an LA Weekly story by Gene Maddaus that asks, "Is KCET going bankrupt?"

http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2014/02/13/is-kcet-going-bankrupt

Obviously the move to disaffiliate from PBS has backfired for KCET...I rarely watch anything from that channel, and KOCE isn't much better as the primary PBS outlet. They probably have to partner with one of the other PBS stations just afloat (and remain somewhat relevant in the L.A. TV universe).

It's entirely possible that KCET is losing money at a slower pace than in the period covered by the report. "Going concern" notices can have a self-fulfilling prophesy effect, particularly on organizations that rely on donations for a large percentage of their funding. Their is a fair amount of schadenfreude regarding KCET's slow-motion suicide as evidenced by the comments in that LAT story.

Last edited:
It's entirely possible that KCET is losing money at a slower pace than in the period covered by the report.

Unless Al Jerome finally took a much needed haircut from his ridiculous yearly salary that's been tanking a once proud broadcaster for years... KCET is still hemorrhaging money like a leaky faucet.
Their programming is 100% content from American Public Television with the exception of some borderline public domain fare in the ancient Sid And Marty Krofft shows like "Land Of The Lost", "Lidsville" and "HR Pufinstuft".

APT is the same pool KOCE and KLCS both pull from. That's why America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country is on almost all hours of the day. I happen to like that show but it's ridiculous how often it appears across 3 public channels.

KCET has no studio now so it has no production value... KCET hasn't created anything other than Sam Rueben introducing a Sunday movie (with the broadcast rights from APT) and they even quit doing that.

Huell Howser is dead and I guess KCET has his library but I've seen the one where the dog eats avocados many times all ready.

Much like good ol' Huell, KCET is pretty dead as well.

If KCET can't get PBS back for the #2 market in the country, they will probably go off the air in the next year or two. Without loads of funding, you CANNOT support a non-PBS educational station. A good idea for KCET is to revert back to instructional programming. Remember back in the '80s when PBS stations would show instructional programming during the daytime? KLCS hardly shows any telecourses or REAL instructional programs during the daytime, because like most PBS stations their lineup is full of little kids shows. I wonder if ITV shows between 9-2PM would actually help KCET a little bit. They might get funding from school districts around the area (not just LAUSD, but maybe Pasadena, Santa Monica-Malibu, etc) Won't hurt to show an old National Geographic educational tape once in a while.

-crainbebo

What's the old expression about rats deserting a sinking ship? Al Jerome, who has been CEO of KCET for the past 18 years, has announced that he will retire in the next six months but he will assist in the search for a successor. KCET lost $12.5 million in the last fiscal year.

My only problem with this whole story is that they obviously didn't have a plan for replacing the PBS programming, or scaling down their operating budget.

I've been involved with public broadcasting operations that have done similar things, but they've done it by replacing the national programming with more local, and refocusing the fundraising around that. Given KCET's incredible resources, you would have thought they'd have had more success in that area. When you compare what they do vs. WNET or WETA, the differences are staggering. There's more entertainment programming coming from Pittsburgh than LA. How can that be? On the public radio side, the local NPR stations have done a great job distinguishing themselves from each other, building local brands, and representing their audiences. KCET has completely dropped the ball. As an outside observer, I'd suggest the Board look to area resources for the next CEO, and try to find someone who has experience creating original content. If they do that, and attempt to attract corporate support around it, I think they'll be able to restore their former glory. But the direction they're on right now is not good.

As I said in the "Once great stations that have fallen from grace" thread, KCET has never been the same after both the disaffiliation with PBS and the Church of Scientology acquiring their studios. What was once the #1 public television station (and producer of the original "Cosmos", in light of the current Fox reboot) in the nation's #2 market is crumbling right before L.A.'s eyes.

"Imagine if PBS didn't exist...how many other stations might be in this same situation. "

BBC America might be a completely different channel :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom