• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Gary Cobb the worst talker on WIP?

I guess they use "G" as a fill-in, but is there anyone more annoying to listen to on that station? He repeats himself incessantly, tries to use "hip" dialogue, and overall seems pretty shallow on many subjects. I felt bad for the hockey fans calling in the night the Phantoms won the Cup, and all he could say is "Congrats to those guys" about 15 times over the course of several callers. Maybe they could team him up with a partner?

A WIP host annoys everyone? Certainly you meant to post about another station. Are you sure you are talking about the same station?

You know what's annoying? WIP's new website design in Eagle colors. It's June. And the exclusive link to owlsports.com? Not necessary. Villanova and Penn have winning records and could also be linked. But Temple has their affiliation with Infinity radio, so only they get a link.

Wonder where you went to school Hykos ;) Either way WIP pales in comparison to "Sister Station" WFAN in NYC.

> I guess they use "G" as a fill-in, but is there anyone more
> annoying to listen to on that station? He repeats himself
> incessantly, tries to use "hip" dialogue, and overall seems
> pretty shallow on many subjects. I felt bad for the hockey
> fans calling in the night the Phantoms won the Cup, and all
> he could say is "Congrats to those guys" about 15 times over
> the course of several callers. Maybe they could team him up
> with a partner?
>

G is not a good sports anchor (shame on you KYW) and he's pretty annoying on the radio. Actually, the only time he was tolerable was back in the mid to late 90's when he was often paired with Craig Carton (who, by the way, has turned into a real jerk on FM in NJ) at night.

I never heard the guy, but on a few other boards, people wrote on last Saturday night he was kinda racist in his chat about Jacko. I know WIP is a sports talk station, but if this is true, didn't he go a bit beyond the bounds?

> Wonder where you went to school Hykos ;) Either way WIP
> pales in comparison to "Sister Station" WFAN in NYC.
>

Cobb is an old jabroni who used to play for the Eagles when they wer not very good. Then he somehow wormed his way into the Philly sports media.

> > Wonder where you went to school Hykos ;) Either way WIP
> > pales in comparison to "Sister Station" WFAN in NYC.
> >
>
>
> Cobb is an old jabroni who used to play for the Eagles
> when they wer not very good. Then he somehow wormed his way
> into the Philly sports media.
>

It is funny trying to listen to him during hockey playoff season,
He has no idea what hockey is and tries to wing it!!!
But I will give him props for his football knowledge

> I guess they use "G" as a fill-in, but is there anyone more
> annoying to listen to on that station? He repeats himself
> incessantly, tries to use "hip" dialogue, and overall seems
> pretty shallow on many subjects. I felt bad for the hockey
> fans calling in the night the Phantoms won the Cup, and all
> he could say is "Congrats to those guys" about 15 times over
> the course of several callers. Maybe they could team him up
> with a partner?
>

G Cobb is a good sportscaster and a great guy. I make it a point tolisten to him whenever he's on.

Also I have to agree with the other poster that said how good he was with Craig Carton. I loved those guys together. For some reason after Carton was fired from WIP he became a total jerk.

> Wonder where you went to school Hykos ;) Either way WIP
> pales in comparison to "Sister Station" WFAN in NYC.
>

You couldn't be more wrong there. As someone who has lived in both NYC and Philly and listened to both station WFAN has nothing on WIP. The spotload on WFAN alone makes it almost completely unlistenable. Couple that with the lack of callers and the constant laborious, boring interviews... It's really a very inferior station.

I would venture to say that other than the short WFAN midday show, WIP is stronger in every day part. The morning is clearly better with WFAN being saddled with the awful Imus show. Middays with Joe and Sid are very good, but If WIP is hiring Missanelli back... their middays will be just as good. Mike and the Maddog are good, but there's so many spots on their show you really can't listen for morethan 5 minutes straight. WIP is much better in nights and waaay better in overnights. The weekend programming is a toss up. WFAN has absolutely terrible play by play coverage with the NEW JERSEY NETS(who can't sell out playoff games) and a good team in the devils that no one cares about. Plus they carry the Mets. WIP at least has Flyers and Sixers, FAN would kill to carry at least one team with that stature in their city.

> You couldn't be more wrong there. As someone who has lived
> in both NYC and Philly and listened to both station WFAN has
> nothing on WIP.

Lived in Philly 4 years. Lived in Connecticut my other 19 WFAN is crystal clear.

The spotload on WFAN alone makes it almost
> completely unlistenable.

Point well taken. WIP also has a large spot load though, c'mon don't you know Less is More!

Couple that with the lack of
> callers and the constant laborious, boring interviews...
> It's really a very inferior station.

I don't think there really is a lack of callers. I think they use the SAME callers over and over. I haven't really particularly heard a boring interview, Mike and The Doggy did basically read off the leader board from the US open today I could have dealt with out that.

> I would venture to say that other than the short WFAN midday
> show, WIP is stronger in every day part. The morning is
> clearly better with WFAN being saddled with the awful Imus
> show.

Also, agree. IMUS is un-listenable.

Middays with Joe and Sid are very good, but If WIP is
> hiring Missanelli back... their middays will be just as
> good.

The midday is BETTER than good. You get Sports talk plus what happens to be Sid's vice for the week and waiting for him to get suspended. I really REALLY enjoy the FAN midday! Missanelli is ok. I don't thikn that will really swing the midday part their way.

Mike and the Maddog are good, but there's so many
> spots on their show you really can't listen for morethan 5
> minutes straight.

Most of the time I can't listen to WIP for more than 5 minutes straight no matter what. It 24/7 Eagles. There is a baseball team in Philadelphia. And a minor league hockey tema that brought you a championship. Its just so tiring to hear the same bit over and over. I'll agree that FAN overdoes it with the Yankees (and being a Sox fan thats really annoying.) BUT they have a far wider breadth of discussion.

WIP is much better in nights and waaay
> better in overnights.

Haven't tuned in awhile, If WIP has Jody Mac, I like them there. But I think Steve Summers is back in the overnights and he is entertaining as all get out, especially with his Rangers bits.

The weekend programming is a toss up.
> WFAN has absolutely terrible play by play coverage with the
> NEW JERSEY NETS(who can't sell out playoff games) and a good
> team in the devils that no one cares about. Plus they carry
> the Mets. WIP at least has Flyers and Sixers, FAN would kill
> to carry at least one team with that stature in their city.

WFAN lost all their contracts I think 2 years ago? They used to have the Mets, Jets, Knicks, Rangers, St John's hoops and Notre Dame football. Now they're the Met, Nets, Jets and Devils... I'll agree with that their but the competition in Philly for the sports team isnt as great as it is in NYC.

I'm sorry I just think WFAN is a much better station than WIP. Especially because there are no made up (or quite actually worse, real life) feuds between jocks. And a wider range of sports is discussed on FAN as well.

Just my opinion. I'd rather listen to ESPN Radio than either anyway.

listen to WIP for more than 5
> minutes straight no matter what. It 24/7 Eagles. There is a
> baseball team in Philadelphia. And a minor league hockey
> tema that brought you a championship. Its just so tiring to
> hear the same bit over and over. I'll agree that FAN
> overdoes it with the Yankees (and being a Sox fan thats
> really annoying.) BUT they have a far wider breadth of
> discussion.

Not really. The station is Mets & YAnks 24 hours a day. Even during the other sports seasons. They are as baseball obsessed there as fans here are football obsessed.

>
> Haven't tuned in awhile, If WIP has Jody Mac, I like them
> there. But I think Steve Summers is back in the overnights
> and he is entertaining as all get out, especially with his
> Rangers bits.
>

Steve Summers does nights now, and yes he is very entertaining. Although there hasn't been too many Ranger bits in a long time now. They don't really have an overnight guy, they're auditioning guys.

> WFAN lost all their contracts I think 2 years ago? They used
> to have the Mets, Jets, Knicks, Rangers, St John's hoops and
> Notre Dame football. Now they're the Met, Nets, Jets and
> Devils... I'll agree with that their but the competition in
> Philly for the sports team isnt as great as it is in NYC.

No there is definetly not the same kind of competition, but that said the fact remains. WIP has the major sports teams and WFAN doesn't.

> Plus they carry
> the Mets. WIP at least has Flyers and Sixers, FAN would kill
> to carry at least one team with that stature in their city.
>

The Mets are a much bigger deal than the Flyers even when the Flyers do decide to leave the house and play!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom